UnderGround Forums Brendan Schaub comedy special preview

Edited: 5/2/19 9:21 PM
10/12/03
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

So just to verify, if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater? Because I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is the least bit funny and I'm not jealous at all of him. I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is funny at all. Same deal then?

Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny? Or does success automatically mean they make you laugh?

"if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater?"

No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two.

"Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny?"

I used to think that George Carlin was not funny when I was a kid, then in my 30's and 40's found him to be spot on with what he was saying. He was kind of successful, but my point here is to point out the subjectivity of the observer, which is separate from the comedians success. Success is an objective measure. If I, you, or some other person laughs is anecdotal subjective nonsense unless it adds to statistics for analysis.

So if you say you don't find a successful comedian funny, then that speaks more about you than about the comedian? 

In debate there are two main types of fallacies made, logical and informal. You're last interrogative is a form of the informal fallacy of "Straw Manning" or attacking a straw man.

At no time did I indicate "if you say you don't find a successful comedian funny, then that speaks more about you than about the comedian. (which is non sequitur in nature)"

I did say, "Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject." There is always some jerk tearing down a successful person.

And I also said, "No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two." Success =/= funny, and funny =/= success, hence not conflating the two.

Yet here you are conflating the two for your straw man attack.

Regards,
5/2/19 10:09 PM
4/20/16
Sean McCorkle -
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

So just to verify, if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater? Because I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is the least bit funny and I'm not jealous at all of him. I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is funny at all. Same deal then?

Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny? Or does success automatically mean they make you laugh?

Well F**k you very much Mr. McCorkle!!! Lol 

(I know you love my wee ‘lols’ at the end of my sentences.)

So after our little back and forth about Schaub last week i decided to listen to his latest podcast from your point of view.....Jesus Christ it was painful. I know it’s prob blatantly obvious to every other person on here but i never actually noticed just how much he talks over Callen and his guests....not to mention his throw-away jokes pretending to be modest whilst actually making his audience acutely aware how rich and successful he really is. At one point his actually said he was bigger than Jimmy Fallon...i think his actual words were ‘I’m the big dog in the podcast world.’ Fuckin’ hell.. Cringe-City.

So thanks for ruining that for me...i’ll prob still listen because i do enjoy the banter between him and Callen but what was heard cant be unheard...it’ll prob grow like a tumour now until TFATK needs to be cut out!!! Lol

Edited: 5/3/19 2:09 PM
5/5/13

5/3/19 6:45 AM
5/5/10
DonFrye_Fan -

No thanks

Theo has his own podcast. Listen to that. 

5/3/19 7:58 AM
5/9/06

Good for Brandon.  Showtime did a good job with that preview and made me want to watch.

I have not been a huge fan of Brendan's comedy so far, but I honestly haven't heard very much.  What I have heard has typically been him repeating what his comedian buddies say or do.  

That's not to say I wont like it, and after watching the preview, I think I might laugh some.  We'll see.

5/3/19 2:05 PM
9/1/13
MickDundee -
Sean McCorkle -

So after our little back and forth about Schaub last week i decided to listen to his latest podcast from your point of view.....Jesus Christ it was painful. I know it’s prob blatantly obvious to every other person on here but i never actually noticed just how much he talks over Callen and his guests....not to mention his throw-away jokes pretending to be modest whilst actually making his audience acutely aware how rich and successful he really is. At one point his actually said he was bigger than Jimmy Fallon...i think his actual words were ‘I’m the big dog in the podcast world.’ Fuckin’ hell.. Cringe-City.

So thanks for ruining that for me...i’ll prob still listen because i do enjoy the banter between him and Callen but what was heard cant be unheard...it’ll prob grow like a tumour now until TFATK needs to be cut out!!! Lol

I love TFATK, I used to be a pretty big fan of Schaub. But, to your point he has been getting VERY cringy lately. His "humble brags" are getting a little over the top and then the way he tries to mask his bragging as a joke is getting bad too. I think on the episode before the one you're reffering to, he completely interupts Callen or Chin and says "I live my life a quarter mile at a time! Am I looking at buying a Ferrari? Yes I am!" It was completely out of the blue and irrelevant to the conversation. It's just his way of making the conversation about him and its cringy and only getting worse. It also drives me nuts how he refers to TFATK as HIS podcast and not Callen's as well. And when he talks about the podcast, he says "I" instead of "WE". I like Schaub but I feel like hi ego is going to create some issues for him in the long run. Callen and Schaub have an AWESOME chemistry, I just hope that Schaub doesn't mess it up. Callen can only take so much abuse...

5/3/19 2:17 PM
10/14/06
feed nana
5/3/19 2:23 PM
8/3/12

5/3/19 6:32 PM
11/16/09
xchrisbx24 -
MickDundee -
Sean McCorkle -

I love TFATK, I used to be a pretty big fan of Schaub. But, to your point he has been getting VERY cringy lately. His "humble brags" are getting a little over the top and then the way he tries to mask his bragging as a joke is getting bad too. I think on the episode before the one you're reffering to, he completely interupts Callen or Chin and says "I live my life a quarter mile at a time! Am I looking at buying a Ferrari? Yes I am!" It was completely out of the blue and irrelevant to the conversation. It's just his way of making the conversation about him and its cringy and only getting worse. It also drives me nuts how he refers to TFATK as HIS podcast and not Callen's as well. And when he talks about the podcast, he says "I" instead of "WE". I like Schaub but I feel like hi ego is going to create some issues for him in the long run. Callen and Schaub have an AWESOME chemistry, I just hope that Schaub doesn't mess it up. Callen can only take so much abuse...

Reminds me of the lonely island "I'm so humble" song.

I remember the first time I figured out what an imbecile Schaub was, was on TFATK in like sept 2013. Schaub went on a rant about how he was basically the best athlete in HW, and by extension the UFC. How he was the fastest, most powerful, most explosive, most coordinated HW in the division. The entire time I'm thinking "This guy has absolutely no self awareness".

5/3/19 9:17 PM
11/14/16
Sackick -
dwhy83 -

Never got the hate around this guy. He’s fucking funny.

You are retard yes?

Me thinky yes. Lol

5/3/19 9:54 PM
6/23/09

Shawn vs Brandon

5/4/19 8:00 AM
4/20/16
xchrisbx24 -
MickDundee -
Sean McCorkle -

Haha....yes, i heard that Ferrari nonsense too. The fact Callen has now started calling him a CBD baron is only guna get worse for that ego.

It’s a shame because they used to crack me up...now most of the podcast is talking about how successful Schaub is and how nothing would work without him. He’s stopped thanking Brian for helping him in his comedic career as well...his new memory is probably how he made it himself lol

5/4/19 3:16 PM
5/29/05
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

"if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater?"

No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two.

I used to think that George Carlin was not funny when I was a kid, then in my 30's and 40's found him to be spot on with what he was saying. He was kind of successful, but my point here is to point out the subjectivity of the observer, which is separate from the comedians success. Success is an objective measure. If I, you, or some other person laughs is anecdotal subjective nonsense unless it adds to statistics for analysis.

So if you say you don't find a successful comedian funny, then that speaks more about you than about the comedian? 

In debate there are two main types of fallacies made, logical and informal. You're last interrogative is a form of the informal fallacy of "Straw Manning" or attacking a straw man.

At no time did I indicate "if you say you don't find a successful comedian funny, then that speaks more about you than about the comedian. (which is non sequitur in nature)"

I did say, "Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject." There is always some jerk tearing down a successful person.

And I also said, "No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two." Success =/= funny, and funny =/= success, hence not conflating the two.

Regards,

You can throw a bunch of big words in your response but it doesn't make you sound smart or cool. You sound like Don King.

"Your interrogories are quite malificuous and malstacious, but at this time in our geopolitical spectrum we must not forget that our prosperity is in direct contrast to our emancipality."

You don't talk like that in real life unless it's during your shift as a waiter at Medieval Times.

You said "Their success speaks for itself" and "to be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject" insinuating that anyone who doesn't like his "comedy" is just jealous or a hater.

My point is, it's really possible to think someone isn't funny and to verbalize it without being jealous. I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is funny at all. And neither do a ton of other people. Are we all jealous? Or is it possible that fart jokes, or constant dick jokes in Brendan's case are low hanging fruit and unoriginal, and not that I wish I could make such hilarious dick jokes?

Now get out your thesaurus and prepare your response.

PS: I'm far more educated than you'll ever be, so if you want to make this a battle of intellect it'll turn out even worse for you than if we were to fight.
5/4/19 3:48 PM
10/12/03
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

Regards,

You can throw a bunch of big words in your response but it doesn't make you sound smart or cool. You sound like Don King.

"Your interrogories are quite malificuous and malstacious, but at this time in our geopolitical spectrum we must not forget that our prosperity is in direct contrast to our emancipality."

You don't talk like that in real life unless it's during your shift as a waiter at Medieval Times.

You said "Their success speaks for itself" and "to be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject" insinuating that anyone who doesn't like his "comedy" is just jealous or a hater.

My point is, it's really possible to think someone isn't funny and to verbalize it without being jealous. I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is funny at all. And neither do a ton of other people. Are we all jealous? Or is it possible that fart jokes, or constant dick jokes in Brendan's case are low hanging fruit and unoriginal, and not that I wish I could make such hilarious dick jokes?

PS: I'm far more educated than you'll ever be, so if you want to make this a battle of intellect it'll turn out even worse for you than if we were to fight.

Sean, you're a cool guy, and Brendan is not funny. (not sarcasm, so reread what I wrote again.)

Regards,
5/4/19 4:39 PM
1/1/01

**** intentionally interrupts guest or cohost ****

“I don’t mean to interrupt”

**** continues his interruption without remorse ****

-Schaub

Brendon fucked ul TFATK, I finally unsubscribed a few months ago when he went from bad to intolerable.

5/4/19 6:56 PM
5/29/05
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

Regards,

Sean, you're a cool guy, and Brendan is not funny. (not sarcasm, so reread what I wrote again.)

Regards,

Lol, finally we agree
5/4/19 7:08 PM
10/12/03
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

Regards,

Regards,

Lol, finally we agree

To be fair, when I said "Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject." is a bit of a stretch because of the built in assumption. I stand by the rest of what I said, which you clearly were not understanding or were otherwise taking wrong.

Success =/= funny. I never was critical of anyone's criticism of Brendan's humor, just his success.

As far as having an intellectual battle, I'm game, and I hope comprehension is a big part of it.

As far as fighting me, a light heavy weight, tell me how much you're weighing now a days and if you can make 205lbs. I think cheeseburgers says no.

Ha ha ha!!!
5/6/19 12:40 PM
5/29/05
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

Regards,

Regards,

Lol, finally we agree

To be fair, when I said "Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject." is a bit of a stretch because of the built in assumption. I stand by the rest of what I said, which you clearly were not understanding or were otherwise taking wrong.

Success =/= funny. I never was critical of anyone's criticism of Brendan's humor, just his success.

As far as having an intellectual battle, I'm game, and I hope comprehension is a big part of it.

As far as fighting me, a light heavy weight, tell me how much you're weighing now a days and if you can make 205lbs. I think cheeseburgers says no.

Ha ha ha!!!

Sheeeeeet. I couldn't make 305 right now. Turns out the Keto diet doesn't work if you also eat ice cream every day.

Plus I've got severe, severe back issues. I actually went all the way to Germany to Kobe Bryant's doctor to try to get it fixed. It helped some but most days are still miserable.
5/6/19 1:02 PM
9/17/11

See now you made me go and have to agree with "The Curtain Jerker!!! Fucking UG. Schaub is NOT funny....At ALL....Dane Cook is funnier. End thread.

5/6/19 1:43 PM
10/20/10
Osbot -
mindless optimism -

is his stuff real comedy, or just agressive rabble-rousing like his mentor? joe cracks me up when he talks like he's a serious stand up. they should both watch a bit of Stewart Lee and realise they are just dogs barking, by comparison 

I think this is harsh on Rogan.

He's a solid B+/A- tier comedian. He's never approached the gold standard of his generation, he's a solid rung or two lower, but then, not everyone is Burr, C.K, Chapelle. 

I'll be the first to admit, most of his recent specials have been not very good, but his most recent one was pretty good IMO. Before that, the last special he had that was good IMO was Shiny Happy Jihad, in like 2004 or 2005 or something.

Shlub isn't even a comedian. He's a story teller. He tells stories that are supposed to be funny.

I agree. Shiny Happy Jihad was great. Everything else, meh. I enjoy his podcast, mostly due to his guests. Schaub May become a great stand up st some point, but so far it’s terrible. But, what else could we expect. He needs time to mature a a comedian if he is going to be any goood. He’s been pushed up quickly because of his podcast popularity m, not his skill level. 

5/6/19 7:48 PM
10/12/03
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle - 
Sean McCorkle - 
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

Regards,

Regards,

Lol, finally we agree

Ha ha ha!!!

Sheeeeeet. I couldn't make 305 right now. Turns out the Keto diet doesn't work if you also eat ice cream every day.

Plus I've got severe, severe back issues. I actually went all the way to Germany to Kobe Bryant's doctor to try to get it fixed. It helped some but most days are still miserable.

When I was competing my walk around was 245lbs, month out 235lbs, week of 225, then cut for weigh ins. I now walk around at 200lbs and can easily make 185lbs. My walk around last year was 185, but I looked too skinny.

I control my weight by eating a whole food plant based diet with the glycemic index and the foods caloric density in mind. It's not for everyone, but it's a trip how I can control my weight now.

Sorry to hear about your back. I herniated a couple of discs back in my 20's that put pressure on my sciatic nerve. I saw back then there was some endoscopic laser surgery that would burn off the bulge on the disc and create a tough scar so it wouldn't come back. I considered it, but in my research I found some home methods of combating it, like sleep on my back, how to pick things up (one legged), no lifting weights or aggravating it otherwise. After a year I was able to compete again, which was the better half of my career.

Anyway, I can relate to back problems, and they suck!!!

Best wishes,
5/6/19 10:05 PM
4/15/06

The guy's not even remotely funny.

But props to him for putting in the work and making it happen.

These days you can book a show because you have X amount of twitter or instagram followers. So he parlays fighting into social media followers...into a podcast...into a standup show. He understands modern showbiz.

But he aint funny.

5/9/19 1:01 AM
4/16/11

So he just threw callen, Rogan, delia, and pat mcafee in a toilet and flushed. Poster boy for dunning - Kruger 

5/9/19 5:11 PM
2/14/11

Here’s his intro 

5/9/19 5:37 PM
8/3/12
TerrySilver -

Here’s his intro 

Schaubs ultimate fantasy, having a conversation with himself.

How this pylon has a following is beyond me.