UnderGround Forums Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung

10/17/20 9:48 PM
5/7/09
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

What happened to the Korean zombie that walks through punches and fights with reckless abandon? This is stunning. I thought this was a mismatch.

That's from your lack of fighting knowledge. Ortega is really really good...and he's gotten even better from his long layoff. It's clear he's been focused on becoming a better martial artist and not just being lazy.

ITs not my lack of fighting knowledge. If you watched all of their previous fights, it would be blatantly obvious to anyone that TKZ is a far better striker. There's a reason why he was a heavy favourite for this fight. Ortega has never showed striking like this before. There's no past evidence to indicate he would dominate TKZ on the feet. So don't act like this was easy to predict.

He WAS the better striker.  Obviously Ortega has improved by leaps & bounds.  Ortega is still getting better.  And I was wanting TKZ to win.

10/17/20 9:49 PM
8/10/05
popcornkilldya - 
Ministry of Truth -

Fights like this are exactly why I love MMA.

Fight sucked

I guess if you dislike Ortega, MMA, or just wanted Zombie to win and are bitter about it, the fight would suck.

I didn't care who won, and can just recognize how impressive what Ortega just did and how he looked was.

Edited: 10/17/20 9:55 PM
5/13/05
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

What happened to the Korean zombie that walks through punches and fights with reckless abandon? This is stunning. I thought this was a mismatch.

That's from your lack of fighting knowledge. Ortega is really really good...and he's gotten even better from his long layoff. It's clear he's been focused on becoming a better martial artist and not just being lazy.

ITs not my lack of fighting knowledge. If you watched all of their previous fights, it would be blatantly obvious to anyone that TKZ is a far better striker. There's a reason why he was a heavy favourite for this fight. Ortega has never showed striking like this before. There's no past evidence to indicate he would dominate TKZ on the feet. So don't act like this was easy to predict.

TKZ's striking was always overrated because of his toughness and willingness to engage his opponents no matter what. His submissions and ground game is arguably better than his striking but he doesn't use it as much. I mean he got KO'd by George Roop of all people, and went pretty much even with Leonard Garcia in the standup who has never been a world striker.

Anyone who KO's Frankie Edgar has high level hands, and Ortega did that. You absolutely lack fighting knowledge.

To be fair TKZ knocked out Frankie as well. It looked like TKZ just struggles against a southpaw fighter before which I can't recall if Yair had his most succcess against TKZ in the southpaw stance in their fight.

10/17/20 9:56 PM
10/9/10
stillmatic - Ortega went from an in the pocket and exchange boxer to someone super technical with an excellent understanding of distance and angles.

100 percent accurate. That level of improvement was honestly sort of staggering. I figured we would see a better version of Ortega, but I wasn’t expecting what I saw. At first I thought he looked good but might revert back to his old methods after getting cracked by Zombie, but that wasn’t the case. He looked calm and confident in there. 

It’s obviously impressive to see the variety of his attacks, but it’s even more impressive to see that all of his striking improvements were built on the fundamentals of a jab, footwork, and defense. Sprinkle in some feints and an occasional takedown attempts, and he’s a hard guy to beat.Volkanovski is the probably the guy that matches up with him the best, and I’m curious to see how that fight will look. 

4/11/11
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

TKZ's striking was always overrated because of his toughness and willingness to engage his opponents no matter what. His submissions and ground game is arguably better than his striking but he doesn't use it as much. I mean he got KO'd by George Roop of all people, and went pretty much even with Leonard Garcia in the standup who has never been a world striker.

Anyone who KO's Frankie Edgar has high level hands, and Ortega did that. You absolutely lack fighting knowledge.

So why was TKZ a huge betting favourite? 

5/13/05
MasterofMartialArts -
stillmatic - Ortega went from an in the pocket and exchange boxer to someone super technical with an excellent understanding of distance and angles.

100 percent accurate. That level of improvement was honestly sort of staggering. I figured we would see a better version of Ortega, but I wasn’t expecting what I saw. At first I thought he looked good but might revert back to his old methods after getting cracked by Zombie, but that wasn’t the case. He looked calm and confident in there. 

It’s obviously impressive to see the variety of his attacks, but it’s even more impressive to see that all of his striking improvements were built on the fundamentals of a jab, footwork, and defense. Sprinkle in some feints and an occasional takedown attempts, and he’s a hard guy to beat.Volkanovski is the probably the guy that matches up with him the best, and I’m curious to see how that fight will look. 

I think Max still bludgeons him from range. 

10/17/20 10:01 PM
10/9/10
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -

TKZ did nothing at all. I love TKZ but that was pathetic. Ortega had a high guard but he didn't attack the body with any punches. Ortega would stay heavy on the lead leg but TKZ didn't chop down his leg. 

TKZ got countered off every single one of his attacks. Ortega took all of his weapons away. 

That's cause TKZ would only throw 1-2 shots at Ortega's high guard. He didn't really mix up the attack outside of a single body kick occasionally.

No disrespect to TKZ because I’m a huge fan, but he’s never shown a great striking IQ. He’s also never been known as guy that puts together 5 to 6 punch combinations. He’s a power puncher and to a fault, he’s a headhunter. Ortega had him confused in this fight and instead of doing something simple like answering Ortega’s jab (with a leg kick or cross) or throwing a rear uppercut when Ortega reached for his leg, he was looking for the perfect shot. When you do that, you lose opportunities and eat shots in the process. 

Even something as simple as jab would have been very effective for TKZ but not only does he throw very few, his corner didn’t seem to be giving him strategic and technical advice. What you’re describing has never been a part of TKZ’s s t y le, Ortega just made that abundantly clear tonight. 

10/17/20 10:02 PM
1/1/01
MasterofMartialArts - 

Didn't watch but pretty stunned to hear of this level of improvement as TKZ has been on fire lately and much more technical himself. Ortega's time off had to have been legit adancement. Like before he'd be losing and find that one opportunity and capitalize ina big way. I read tonight he was simply the better and more technical fighter. This is so impressive.

10/17/20 10:02 PM
9/30/09
MasterofMartialArts -

Whatever Ortega did in those 20 months is phenomenal. His fundamentals are crisp and he’s become a full fledged striker. I was really impressed. 

10/17/20 10:04 PM
12/20/08
MasterofMartialArts - 

When he was saying before the fight how he was finally learning fighting skills instead of just being tough, he sounded exactly like how all fighters do after taking a loss and switching coaches. It's shocking when the performance actually backs it up.

10/17/20 10:05 PM
10/9/10
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -

I agree. Max is just a bad matchup for Ortega, and I still think his boxing attack is too technical and accurate. I think Ortega has the skills to beat Volkanovski and probable everyone else aside from Max, Kattar, and maybe Yair. 

This version of Brian (from what we’ve seen tonight) is easily top 3, if not the champ. 

10/17/20 10:06 PM
10/9/10
stillmatic -
MasterofMartialArts - 

When he was saying before the fight how he was finally learning fighting skills instead of just being tough, he sounded exactly like how all fighters do after taking a loss and switching coaches. It's shocking when the performance actually backs it up.

Yeah you’re right. It’s common for guys to say shit like that, especially after a big loss. Ortega backed it up tonight. He obviously drilled hours upon hours and did A LOT of quality sparring. 

10/17/20 10:08 PM
11/10/18
Ministry of Truth -
Eskimo - 

Fight is terrible. Ortega has definitely improved but Zombie looks like he’s been drugged lol. 

Getting dropped and eating punches to the face can do that.

Looked like it in the first round you smug prick.

10/17/20 10:09 PM
10/9/10
BostonCharm -
MasterofMartialArts -

Whatever Ortega did in those 20 months is phenomenal. His fundamentals are crisp and he’s become a full fledged striker. I was really impressed. 

Same. Nothing short of phenomenal. It says a lot about his dedication as a martial artist and hunger to become a champ. 

10/17/20 10:13 PM
5/13/05
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -

I agree. Max is just a bad matchup for Ortega, and I still think his boxing attack is too technical and accurate. I think Ortega has the skills to beat Volkanovski and probable everyone else aside from Max, Kattar, and maybe Yair. 

This version of Brian (from what we’ve seen tonight) is easily top 3, if not the champ. 

I forgot about Kattar. I think his boxing could lead to problems for Orega as well but Ortega can always latch onto his neck.

10/17/20 10:15 PM
5/13/05
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -

TKZ did nothing at all. I love TKZ but that was pathetic. Ortega had a high guard but he didn't attack the body with any punches. Ortega would stay heavy on the lead leg but TKZ didn't chop down his leg. 

TKZ got countered off every single one of his attacks. Ortega took all of his weapons away. 

That's cause TKZ would only throw 1-2 shots at Ortega's high guard. He didn't really mix up the attack outside of a single body kick occasionally.

No disrespect to TKZ because I’m a huge fan, but he’s never shown a great striking IQ. He’s also never been known as guy that puts together 5 to 6 punch combinations. He’s a power puncher and to a fault, he’s a headhunter. Ortega had him confused in this fight and instead of doing something simple like answering Ortega’s jab (with a leg kick or cross) or throwing a rear uppercut when Ortega reached for his leg, he was looking for the perfect shot. When you do that, you lose opportunities and eat shots in the process. 

Even something as simple as jab would have been very effective for TKZ but not only does he throw very few, his corner didn’t seem to be giving him strategic and technical advice. What you’re describing has never been a part of TKZ’s s t y le, Ortega just made that abundantly clear tonight. 

I did expect more uppercuts from TKZ as Ortega would close to shoot but didn't see that. I expected more leg kicks as Ortega stayed heavy on the leg but although the ones he threw were effective there wasn't enough volume. I thought a quick cross to the body would have served him well but there were no technical adjustments. He closed the distance and just was too timid to throw. 

10/17/20 10:16 PM
5/13/05

Ortega is probably getting in a shit ton of rounds with good sparring partners to improve as much on the feet. He had a really good lead leg low kick he threw a few times at TKZ that was very impressive.

10/17/20 10:28 PM
10/24/10
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

Because a lot of people like you gamble on emotions.

10/17/20 10:29 PM
10/24/10
cyberc92 -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

To be fair TKZ knocked out Frankie as well. It looked like TKZ just struggles against a southpaw fighter before which I can't recall if Yair had his most succcess against TKZ in the southpaw stance in their fight.

He TKO'd Frankie AFTER Ortega KO'd him.

10/17/20 10:30 PM
5/13/05
The Last Emperor -
cyberc92 -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

He TKO'd Frankie AFTER Ortega KO'd him.

He rocked Frankie with only his hands that fight. Ortega blasted Frankie with an elbow to set up the collar tie to uppercut sequence. 

10/17/20 10:35 PM
12/6/11
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -

I agree. 

On another note, how do you prepare for a brand new opponent?  The gameplan TKZ made probably was based off the older Ortega.  But this Ortega was way improved and had a different gameplan.

10/17/20 10:37 PM
12/6/11
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

Because a lot of people like you gamble on emotions.

Not necessarily.  I dont think people would have expected Ortega to look as sharp as he has ever been.  Plus the 2 years out of the ring was a factor.  There was absolutely no ring rust for him

10/17/20 10:56 PM
10/9/10
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -
MasterofMartialArts -
cyberc92 -

I did expect more uppercuts from TKZ as Ortega would close to shoot but didn't see that. I expected more leg kicks as Ortega stayed heavy on the leg but although the ones he threw were effective there wasn't enough volume. I thought a quick cross to the body would have served him well but there were no technical adjustments. He closed the distance and just was too timid to throw. 

Yeah I agree. I’m not saying TKZ can’t adjust, because he obviously can. He’s done it in past fights. It just seems that in this fight there were too many attacks that he didn’t have an answer for. Instead of picking one and taking it away, he just basically tried to walk Ortega down for the kill shot. 

I agree that cross to the body was there as well as the lead hook to the body. I thought it would have countered Ortega well, especially considering they drilled a lot of defensive attacks and counters off Zombie’s lead hook to the head. He did a decent job of cutting off the cage, it’s just that Ortega used angles really well and stayed offensive off his back foot, whether he was firing first or countering. 

I just feel like TKZ wasn’t ready for the Ortega we saw tonight. I don’t think anyone expected that performance. In that fight it was evident how little TKZ has evolved, and how much Ortega has. 

10/17/20 11:19 PM
8/2/12

Is everyone still mad that ortega slapped another man ??

10/17/20 11:20 PM
12/10/09
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -
The Last Emperor -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

You realize a betteing favorite has only to do with ppublic perception, right?