UnderGround Forums Brian Ortega zero $$$$$$$

7/11/18 2:41 PM
12/9/13

Brian Ortega says he hasn’t been compensated at all for UFC 226 fallout

A lot of action went down in the Octagon at UFC 226 last weekend in Vegas, but one guy you didn’t get to see was Brian Ortega. T-City was expected to face off with Max Holloway for the UFC featherweight title, but a late medical situation with Holloway led to the cancellation of the fight just days before the event.

With that in mind, Ortega thought he might still receive some compensation for putting in all the time he did in the build to the fight. Unfortunately for him, his first conversation with UFC president Dana White was right after Daniel Cormier fell down and looked injured at the UFC 226 press conference. So DW wasn’t in the best mood during the meeting apparently.

He explained the whole thing on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show on ESPN (transcribed by MMA Mania):

“We had our talk. We agreed to disagree pretty much, I (asked) him if I was going to be compensated for anything, you know, if I would get anything. I told him I showed up, I did everything, my weight was good, did the open workouts, the media and he said, ‘No,’” explained Ortega.

Ortega was able to meet Dana again the next day though, and White revealed that he was indeed annoyed about the Cormier situation at the time. But he was also “pissed off” about Ortega not taking an ultra-short notice with Jeremy Stephens. White ultimately apologized for the meeting the day before though:

“So that was that. I was pretty bummed out, heartbroken. After that, we had another meeting yesterday. We talked and he said he was just pissed off. He then said we’d talk again this week and figure things out. So right now, I don’t know what ‘figure things out’ means.”

So it seems that Ortega might get something out of it still, if he isn’t just re-booked quickly. But with Holloway seemingly out for a while, it’ll be interesting to see what happens here.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/7/11/17558466/ufc-226-brian-ortega-dana-white-holloway-compensation-money-mma-news

7/11/18 2:44 PM
9/13/12

He should have been paid his show money at least. 

7/11/18 2:44 PM
7/14/16
Complete bullshit. He did everything his fight contract asked for, except fight Holloway. That part wasn't his fault. He should get the show money, as he did show up.

If Dana/UFC wants these guys taking last minute fights, then there should be clear language in the contract and pre-determined amounts for specific replacement opponents agreed on in advance.
7/11/18 2:45 PM
1/1/01
I think the best point Brian made on Ariel's show was that he told Dana that for him, he has his promoter's hat on, and this is all about saving UFC 226, but for Brian, this is about the culmination of his life's work. Also, he was saying that for anyone in the top 10 with 4 oz gloves all it takes is a lucky strike and a chin and then your championship dreams go away for who knows how long. Just look at him versus Frankie and what happened.
7/11/18 2:45 PM
7/22/05

7/11/18 2:48 PM
5/6/13

I dont get why the fighter that made, weight, was ready to fight, did everything he was meant to do by his signed contract is getting punished becuase his opponent couldnt make the fight its so fucking backwards. 

Ortega shouldnt of had to even think about taking a fight against a guy he hasnt even prepared for. 

Dana hasnt paid him becuase hes pissed off. Grow up mate pay the man and make sure your champions can make the fights. 

Pay ortega you fucking egg 

7/11/18 2:49 PM
12/9/13

"He then said we’d talk again this week and figure things out. So right now, I don’t know what ‘figure things out’ means.”

classic Dana, will not call back. cause of his short memory.

7/11/18 2:51 PM
1/1/01
"I stepped in to fight Tavares on 2 weeks notice, Frankie on 3 weeks notice, and Khabib on 6 days notice. Fear is not a factor for me. I'll fight Stevens or anyone else tomorrow if it's for the belt."
7/11/18 2:55 PM
6/6/08
bendlikebendo - 

I dont get why the fighter that made, weight, was ready to fight, did everything he was meant to do by his signed contract is getting punished becuase his opponent couldnt make the fight its so fucking backwards. 

Ortega shouldnt of had to even think about taking a fight against a guy he hasnt even prepared for. 

Dana hasnt paid him becuase hes pissed off. Grow up mate pay the man and make sure your champions can make the fights. 

Pay ortega you fucking egg 

"I dont get why the fighter that made, weight, was ready to fight, did everything he was meant to do"

correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he even weighed in.

7/11/18 2:59 PM
7/22/05

I'm sure if they told him he would get paid if he weighed in... he would have.

7/11/18 3:01 PM
3/18/12

He turned down a replacement opponent. Lol @ acting like an entitled brat. 

If you want to get paid for an opponent dropping out, either take the replacement or negotiate it into the contract. 

7/11/18 3:01 PM
4/10/18

ufc is run by scumbags what u expect?

7/11/18 3:02 PM
2/17/03
This is why fighters need to get onboard with Project Spearhead.

This is ridiculous. Ortega put in plenty of labor (camp and media appearances) and isn't being compensated.
7/11/18 3:02 PM
7/3/13
If I had any athletic ability I certainly wouldn't try to be a pro MMAer. Why? Essentially there is only one boss, Dana, holding all the cards and a few amateur leagues.

Aside from a handful of fighters, no fighter is making any long lasting money in this thing.

Why do this to yourself? You will get fucked.

7/11/18 3:03 PM
4/10/18

he should sue and ask to be released... ufc is going downhill anyway... DC or Woodley brings some legitamcy to the org but the rest of the divisions are trash

7/11/18 3:05 PM
6/10/09

He said he would really like to get compensated to pay for his camp.  I don't know how much a full training camp runs, but I imagine it's not cheap.  I mean, hell, you'r training with the Gracies.

7/11/18 3:08 PM
3/18/12

Lol @ “he should sue”. Scum always want to sue first. 

Try accepting the replacement opponent or don’t get yourself into a contract you are going to complain about later. 

7/11/18 3:09 PM
7/7/12
BreakALegAndy! -

Try accepting the replacement opponent or don’t get yourself into a contract you are going to complain about later. 

corporate cuck detected

7/11/18 3:10 PM
8/26/02
I listened to the interview with Ariel, and Ortega said his contract for the title shot, was different and he was getting a flat rate, meaning no win bonus.

I can see why the UFC (Dana) would not pay Ortega his "Show" money if he was going to get a flat rate of $250,000 for the Co-Main title fight. I Have no idea if the flat rate was $250,000.

They should at least cover the cost he spent on training camp in my opinion
Edited: 7/11/18 3:15 PM
4/10/18
BreakALegAndy! -

and brian im sure countered with "ok i will fight him but to take this risk you need to increase my pay to ..."

and then UFC im sure declined and lost out on the fight.... this is a dude fighting for the title, not on the fucking undercard... this is not about being a tough guy, this is about money... im sure the UFC would love to underpay any chance they can get. Their show got thrown a monkey wrench and they werent willing to pay to fix it and then blame the fighter who showed up ready to fight 5 rounds against the number one guy in the world. UFC is scum.

7/11/18 3:12 PM
8/27/08

Should have negotiated that into his contract.

what do managers do exactly?

7/11/18 3:13 PM
12/9/13
BreakALegAndy! -

He turned down a replacement opponent. Lol @ acting like an entitled brat. 

If you want to get paid for an opponent dropping out, either take the replacement or negotiate it into the contract. 

those UFC contracts are an one way street, not up for negotiation

7/11/18 3:15 PM
12/9/13
BreakALegAndy! -

he did not sign a contract with the replacement fighter.

7/11/18 3:17 PM
7/22/05
Honest Lee - 

Should have negotiated that into his contract.

what do managers do exactly?

Ed f*cked up.

Edited: 7/11/18 3:17 PM
4/10/18
Big EP -

He said he would really like to get compensated to pay for his camp.  I don't know how much a full training camp runs, but I imagine it's not cheap.  I mean, hell, you'r training with the Gracies.

i would assume he owes them a % of his purse which was $0 so... he owes the Gracies... x% * $0