UnderGround Forums Canelo Alvarez Boxing Style

6/25/19 9:23 AM
7/27/11

6/25/19 11:02 AM
7/27/11

TTT

6/25/19 11:13 AM
8/4/07

The real question becomes, is Artem Lobov Canelo's kryptonite? 

6/25/19 11:24 AM
7/27/11
chilz -

The real question becomes, is Artem Lobov Canelo's kryptonite? 

The GOAT would walk through anything, he’s everyone’s weakness. 

6/25/19 12:03 PM
1/9/05
I will watch the rest, but that analysis is way off in the first 15 seconds. He doesn't have a narrow stance, he has a wide stance. This limits his foot mobility , which is his biggest weakness.
6/25/19 12:13 PM
7/27/11
Dory - I will watch the rest, but that analysis is way off in the first 15 seconds. He doesn't have a narrow stance, he has a wide stance. This limits his foot mobility , which is his biggest weakness.

I think he was meaning narrow target?

Regardless, I agree. His wide stance is responsible for his slow feet, but he compensated with the sickest upper body movement in boxing today.

6/25/19 12:15 PM
1/9/05
That analysis was crap. Almost every good boxer looks first to slip or move for defense, almost all anticipate an opponent's next punch, all good fighter's mix up their punches.

Alvaraz uses a wide stance and a squared body to allow him to slip all directions without stepping. It is a counter puncher's stance. It is very similar to the stance used by David Lemieux, and it has the same limitations , lack of foot mobility. He is a good fighter, but this is why he couldn't catch Mayweather, and while lots of people wrongly praised him for coming forward against Golovkin in the last fight, he didn't really catch Golovkin either. GGG made him move and out boxed him
6/25/19 12:17 PM
7/27/11
Dory - That analysis was crap. Almost every good boxer looks first to slip or move for defense, almost all anticipate an opponent's next punch, all good fighter's mix up their punches.

Alvaraz uses a wide stance and a squared body to allow him to slip all directions without stepping. It is a counter puncher's stance. It is very similar to the stance used by David Lemieux, and it has the same limitations , lack of foot mobility. He is a good fighter, but this is why he couldn't catch Mayweather, and while lots of people wrongly praised him for coming forward against Golovkin in the last fight, he didn't really catch Golovkin either. GGG made him move and out boxed him

Good post.

Who do you think has better upper body movement than Canelo today? Orthodox fighters obviously. Canelo’s foot speed is objectively shitty, but his head movement seems amazing. 

6/25/19 12:18 PM
7/27/11

Better yet, what could Canelo do to shore up his holes in his game and become a perfect fighter? 

In other words, if you’re trying to emulate Canelo, what should you do differently?

6/25/19 12:23 PM
1/9/05
He could keep his game for the most part but needs to be able to narrow his stance to allow more speed and a bigger step in when needed. He could also get around this by working really hard at cutting off the ring, but against a more mobile fighter, that is really hard.

This far along in a career , you can't t reinvent a fighter and with the success he has, you shouldn't try, but he needs to work on movement or he'll lose to a Billy Joe Saunders..
6/25/19 12:27 PM
7/27/11
Dory - He could keep his game for the most part but needs to be able to narrow his stance to allow more speed and a bigger step in when needed. He could also get around this by working really hard at cutting off the ring, but against a more mobile fighter, that is really hard.

This far along in a career , you can't t reinvent a fighter and with the success he has, you shouldn't try, but he needs to work on movement or he'll lose to a Billy Joe Saunders..

I’m asking because I fucking love Canelo’s style and try emulating it where I can. 

Essentially, narrow up my legs, and try to cut angles more often? 

Do do you think squaring up my stance a little more would benefit me, so my toes face the opponent?

6/25/19 12:36 PM
1/9/05
Squaring your legs will give you a wider base to slip side to side. It gives your opponent more target area for the body thogh and may even slow your ability to move forward.

There are all kinds of ways to box and each has its advantages. That's what makes it so interesting.
6/25/19 4:09 PM
7/27/11

Bump

6/25/19 4:49 PM
1/13/10

Canelo has the boxing and power to beat anyone, his cardio is his kryptonite. I too think BJS could beat Canelo if he can make 160 comfortably only because Canelo tends to tire late in fights. 

6/25/19 5:30 PM
7/27/11
Barry_BondsMVP -

Canelo has the boxing and power to beat anyone, his cardio is his kryptonite. I too think BJS could beat Canelo if he can make 160 comfortably only because Canelo tends to tire late in fights. 

What could/should Canelo do in order to beat BJS?

6/25/19 5:57 PM
1/13/10
Uhtred Ragnarson -
Barry_BondsMVP -

What could/should Canelo do in order to beat BJS?

He usually starts fast, against someone like BJS who uses a lot of movement and boxes on the outside... Canelo would need to start slow, just focus on working the body and hips of BJS and hope that can slow his movement down for the later rounds. He has to apply intelligent pressure and close the distance, mix his jab to the head and body while mixing in the body work I mentioned. 

The second half of the fight he can start attacking more to the head, and mixing in body work. Feinting will be key to open up power shots.

6/25/19 6:07 PM
1/10/13

One of Canelo's problems is he can't mix up his slick moves on defense with some offense. Most of the time when he does the flashy defensive moves, there is nothing returned to make his opponents pay. His defense is slick no doubt, but instead of making a guy miss by a mile, he could slip just enough to let say a right hand roll by and counter with something of his own. Guys like Floyd and James Toney much more punished guys when they made them miss. Canelo doesn't do so much.

Canelo's feet are very heavy. He has problems when he has to move forward or press opponents. He seems to end up reaching too much because his feet dont quite get him into the needed positions.

As for his power, it is very overrated. Most of his knockouts are against fighters like Josesito Lopez, Alfonso Gomez, Amir Khan, etc, guys that came up form 140-147lbs. Kirkland has a notoriously weak chin and Rocky Fielding is, Rocky Fielding. Canelo never really even got GGG's attention, didn't hurt Jacobs and didn't hurt the smaller Cotto. His power is probably average at best. His stamina is also very questionable. He did better in the GGG rematch, but otherwise always fades after 5 rounds.

6/25/19 8:45 PM
7/27/11
boxing wiz -

One of Canelo's problems is he can't mix up his slick moves on defense with some offense. Most of the time when he does the flashy defensive moves, there is nothing returned to make his opponents pay. His defense is slick no doubt, but instead of making a guy miss by a mile, he could slip just enough to let say a right hand roll by and counter with something of his own. Guys like Floyd and James Toney much more punished guys when they made them miss. Canelo doesn't do so much.

Canelo's feet are very heavy. He has problems when he has to move forward or press opponents. He seems to end up reaching too much because his feet dont quite get him into the needed positions.

As for his power, it is very overrated. Most of his knockouts are against fighters like Josesito Lopez, Alfonso Gomez, Amir Khan, etc, guys that came up form 140-147lbs. Kirkland has a notoriously weak chin and Rocky Fielding is, Rocky Fielding. Canelo never really even got GGG's attention, didn't hurt Jacobs and didn't hurt the smaller Cotto. His power is probably average at best. His stamina is also very questionable. He did better in the GGG rematch, but otherwise always fades after 5 rounds.

If someone wanted to emulate Canelo, what should they do with their feet? Or what other fighter should they watch to overcompensate for his cement boots?

6/25/19 8:56 PM
1/13/10

Watch Lomachenko, he has the best foot work in boxing 

6/25/19 9:02 PM
7/27/11
Barry_BondsMVP -

I’m orthodox cuz

6/25/19 9:05 PM
1/13/10
Uhtred Ragnarson -
Barry_BondsMVP -

I’m orthodox cuz

Lol then watch all the tape on Mayweather that you can, Andre Ward is a good one too 

6/25/19 10:22 PM
7/8/09

Artem beats Canelo with ease in bareknuckles boxing