UnderGround Forums Chack Liddel vs Rampage 1

6 days ago
5/28/03

MMA was so much better back then.

6 days ago
1/1/03

if it went to decision chuck would have lost. remember what they did to ricco?

6 days ago
1/1/06
Connorwinztharematch -

Its been too long but i think yoshida and tamura had beef. Seems odd that that fight would have been a work. 

Didn't know that.  Yoshida had a couple of fishy fights.  And Tamura was obviously a pro-wrestler in the past, and his MMA record includes a lot of works from the Rings era.  He had beef with Sak too.  Doesn't seem like he was very well liked!

6 days ago
4/20/08
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

"He's not sticking to the plan!!"

Dana was such an asshole during commentary. 

The way the tournament was set up was a joke. Give Silva an overmatched and underweight opponent in the first round. A Japanese can in Yoshida in the second round while Chuck had to go through legit monsters.

Of course they wanted to protect their brand but they UFC really put itself at a disadvantage there.

They protected Silva for sure, Shogun never getting a chance at the title, and watch the first Rampage-Silva fight again, Rampage was in Silva’s guard highly active and affective.... you can see Silva’s corner trying to get the ref to stand them up, eventually he does and that was the end for Rampage.

People say that, but he rematchd Rampage and OBLITERED him. He left dangling dead between the ropes. People do not realize how good Silva was then, because of how far he has fallen off. 

6 days ago
1/13/10
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

The way the tournament was set up was a joke. Give Silva an overmatched and underweight opponent in the first round. A Japanese can in Yoshida in the second round while Chuck had to go through legit monsters.

Of course they wanted to protect their brand but they UFC really put itself at a disadvantage there.

They protected Silva for sure, Shogun never getting a chance at the title, and watch the first Rampage-Silva fight again, Rampage was in Silva’s guard highly active and affective.... you can see Silva’s corner trying to get the ref to stand them up, eventually he does and that was the end for Rampage.

People say that, but he rematchd Rampage and OBLITERED him. He left dangling dead between the ropes. People do not realize how good Silva was then, because of how far he has fallen off. 

Won’t disagree with that, but Page did get screwed in their first fight, Shogun was the best LHW in the world in his prime and would of beaten Silva as well imo. 

6 days ago
6/14/12

Pretty sure the brackets were randomly chosen too.

6 days ago
2/17/03
Bobby Lupo - 
Non N00B - 

People do not realize just how good Rampage was back then. He was fast, powerful, could get you to the mat if he needed to. 

He used to do that high elbow guard to block, Tito and some of the other guys from that camp used to all do the same thing. It was effective. 

All this. Looking back, Rampage was probably the guy who would have given Fedor the toughest fight back then based on Rampage and Tito had that high chamber guard/Crazy Monkey defense going. For a time, they were the only guys who displayed any defensive boxing and kept their hands up. 

He was a genuinely excellent fighter for a long time. Struggled with Chute Boxe, but has great wins over Arona, Chuck, and Hendo (which was an extremely high level fight).
6 days ago
2/17/03
HELWIG - 

MMA was so much better back then.

Dana and Chuck heading to Japan was definitely a special time to be watching. Pre TUF Dana . . .
6 days ago
1/12/05

2003-2009 was a great era for the sport. Pride did a great job of creating a big fight feel. Outside of McGregor, we don't have that anymore. 

Edited: 6 days ago
12/26/13

Pride Rampage was the fucking man. Slamming fuckers on their heads left and right. Dude came to the UFC and seemed to forget what got him there and turned him into a boxer. 

That Arona powerbomb, even if it was heads clashing, I could hear Joey Styl es (Fucking forum) yelling "OH MY GOD!!" In my head when he pulled that off. 

6 days ago
2/17/03
Bobby Lupo - 

2003-2009 was a great era for the sport. Pride did a great job of creating a big fight feel. Outside of McGregor, we don't have that anymore. 

Both DC v. Jones fights were legit big fight feel fights.

Honestly, I feel that way about Khabib, too.

But, they are the exceptions that prove the rule.
6 days ago
1/13/10
KungFuCow -

Pride Rampage was the fucking man. Slamming fuckers on their heads left and right. Dude came to the UFC and seemed to forget what got him there and turned him into a boxer. 

That Arona powerbomb, even if it was heads clashing, I could hear Joey Styl es (Fucking forum) yelling "OH MY GOD!!" In my head when he pulled that off. 

It happens, when athletes come from nothing and make a lot of money they lose that drive to fight. With Page once he beat Liddell for the title he had other sources of income, so why keep training hard etc. also he broke ties from the team that got him there so that didn’t help either. 

6 days ago
4/20/08
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

Won’t disagree with that, but Page did get screwed in their first fight, Shogun was the best LHW in the world in his prime and would of beaten Silva as well imo. 

I agree on the Shogun part. I just didn't believe it until after the 2005 GP. Shogun was a fucking machine. Too bad we couldn't see him vs Jones in pride, in a ring, in 2005

6 days ago
4/20/08
Barry_BondsMVP -
KungFuCow -

It happens, when athletes come from nothing and make a lot of money they lose that drive to fight. With Page once he beat Liddell for the title he had other sources of income, so why keep training hard etc. also he broke ties from the team that got him there so that didn’t help either. 

Some people think he was at his best with Jaunito, I think he was at his best with Team Oyama. The problem with a guy like rampage is that he is from a shit hole like Memphis, so once he started getting money and famous, the hanger ons and scammers like Jaunito were gonna do him in. 

He could have been so much bigger in the US. The one that fought and lost to Wand would be a problem for any 205er that ever lived, outside of Wand and Shogun. They had the aggression and damage output to get him out of there. Hard hitting guys like Igor and Liddel couldn't do much to get him out of there, And been explosive guys like Randleman were ineffective. 

he also beat up that dude in K1 too back then. 

6 days ago
1/13/10
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

I agree on the Shogun part. I just didn't believe it until after the 2005 GP. Shogun was a fucking machine. Too bad we couldn't see him vs Jones in pride, in a ring, in 2005

Bad ribs or not, I think Shogun dismantled Rampage easier than anyone else. To me a prime Gun was the best LHW ever 

6 days ago
1/13/10
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
KungFuCow -

Some people think he was at his best with Jaunito, I think he was at his best with Team Oyama. The problem with a guy like rampage is that he is from a shit hole like Memphis, so once he started getting money and famous, the hanger ons and scammers like Jaunito were gonna do him in. 

He could have been so much bigger in the US. The one that fought and lost to Wand would be a problem for any 205er that ever lived, outside of Wand and Shogun. They had the aggression and damage output to get him out of there. Hard hitting guys like Igor and Liddel couldn't do much to get him out of there, And been explosive guys like Randleman were ineffective. 

he also beat up that dude in K1 too back then. 

I agree he was much more disciplined with team Oyama... whatever happened with them? And I agree on the Juanito and the leeches part. 

Rampage was a monster in Pride, top 2-3 ever as a LHW and he still beat some tough guys in the UFC with half ass training. 

6 days ago
1/16/12

Really showed how ahead Pride LHWs where at the time imo 

6 days ago
5/14/18

Wtf is chack liddell? 

6 days ago
1/1/01

"America was robbed!!" No Ricco, just you.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

Bad ribs or not, I think Shogun dismantled Rampage easier than anyone else. To me a prime Gun was the best LHW ever 

They weren't bad until Shogun made them bad.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Connorwinztharematch -

When rampage was hungry and actually cared he was a force to be reckoned with. He did to igor what igor did to enson.

Shows what a monster silva was during that period. 

Rampage did to Igor what Igor did to Enson? Not even close. Enson took several careers worth of punishment in the Igor fight.

6 days ago
1/13/10
Xxxtra_4skin -

Wtf is chack liddell? 

Ask the Pride production team lol, they put Chack Liddel when he was being interviewed around the 5 min mark 

6 days ago
1/13/10
Floppy Divac -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

Most likely, just never seen him wanting out of a fight in his prime.

6 days ago
1/1/01
Barry_BondsMVP -
Floppy Divac -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

Most likely, just never seen him wanting out of a fight in his prime.

Not until he got his ribs busted. His poor performance prior to the stoppage had been blamed (by Rampage) on crazy fasting he tried leading up to the fight. But I've never heard him or his camp say he went into that one with a rib injury. I've definitely read fans making shit up for fighters on more than a few occasions over the last 20 yrs here though. 

6 days ago
4/20/08
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Non N00B -
Barry_BondsMVP -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
Smilin like Rashad -

Shogun beat Rampage down worse than everybody ever, worse than Wand did twice, which is insane, worse than Jones did, it was destruction. Hell, the way Shogun beat Overeem into the canvas twice, and Arona. That dude was a fucking machine. He would be absolute hell on wheels for Jones, DC etc in a ring.