UnderGround Forums Cheick Kongo: 11-2 since leaving UFC

12 days ago
3/24/15

His only losses were a UD to Minakov (best undefeated HW outside UFC) and a questionable SD to King Mo. With the state of current UFC HW division I’d say he could make one more run for a shot.

12 days ago
1/1/01
Have always enjoyed watching him. Would be great to see him back in the UFC.
12 days ago
1/1/01
he's 43, and I can't see Bellator getting rid of him any time soon. For some reason, he is a decent tv ratings draw.
12 days ago
3/24/15

The guy is a huge threat standing. I would love to see him against another banger like Derrick Lewis or Ngannou 

12 days ago
9/30/18
the main reason for that success and longevity as an older fighter is because he adapted and changed his style to a more wrestling, grinding type fighter and much less and a stand and banger resulting in less damage.
12 days ago
3/21/12
George Caldwell - the main reason for that success and longevity as an older fighter is because he adapted and changed his style to a more wrestling, grinding type fighter and much less and a stand and banger resulting in less damage.

I used to call him a bodybuilder who can kickbox. For someone who was supposed to have striking as his strength he always left his head way too upright for me.
12 days ago
3/24/15

His weakness was always the overhand right from shorter fighters, like the Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt fights.

12 days ago
10/9/10

Good to see him on a run, I’ve just never been excited to see him fight. 

12 days ago
7/2/09

I'll never forgive him for kicking Crocops balls into retirement.  I hope Shogun kicks his boring ass balls into retirement.  Karma.

12 days ago
9/30/18
jgiveshead - 

I'll never forgive him for kicking Crocops balls into retirement.  I hope Shogun kicks his boring ass balls into retirement.  Karma.

I understand this is a metaphorical but there is no possible way that man's genitalia is boring in any sense.
Edited: 12 days ago
8/6/06

I remeber Mo easily outwrestling him. I definitely don't remember the winner of that fight being questionable. If there was question, it was probably over the fact that 1 judge gave it to Kongo.

12 days ago
1/1/01
jgiveshead -

Shogun is paying for his stomping fighters in pride.  I hope he ends up like his brother

8/6/06

Yeah, you're right, that split decision was definitely questionable.

12 days ago
8/21/06
Tim Duncan - 
jgiveshead -

Shogun is paying for his stomping fighters in pride.  I hope he ends up like his brother

he's "paying for stomping fighters in pride" - you mean, he fought by the rules when he was in an organization which allowed stomps? What's your issue?
12 days ago
6/9/16
George Caldwell - the main reason for that success and longevity as an older fighter is because he adapted and changed his style to a more wrestling, grinding type fighter and much less and a stand and banger resulting in less damage.

Not saying there isn't truth in your post, but fighting a lower level of competition hasn't hurt Kongo either. 

10/14/12
He'd prob beat some top 10 UFC guys.
12 days ago
1/23/06
He'll be fighting Minakov and certainly getting a top 10 UFC caliber challenge there.
12 days ago
12/5/15
taintpuncher -

His only losses were a UD to Minakov (best undefeated HW outside UFC) and a questionable SD to King Mo. With the state of current UFC HW division I’d say he could make one more run for a shot.

Questionable decision? Didnt kongo get outwrestled by the lighter king mo?

12 days ago
6/21/12
john joe -
Tim Duncan - 
jgiveshead -

he's "paying for stomping fighters in pride" - you mean, he fought by the rules when he was in an organization which allowed stomps? What's your issue?

I was thinking the same thing. Tim you're a douche. 

12 days ago
8/8/18

He's spent most of those wins up against the cage, grinding on lower level fighters. I don't have anything against him but I haven't been excited to watch him fight in years. 

12 days ago
4/21/12

Kongo trivia: The last time he fought a guy with a losing record was in his second pro MMA fight, in 2001. The closest he came since then was in 2012 when he fought Mark Hunt, who had a 7-7-1 record at the time. (According to Tapology.)

It might seem like a "so what?" type of trivia, but take a look at the records of the opponents of a lot of "prospects" who come into UFC or Bellator with undefeated or one-loss records and you'll see that many of them have fought a bunch of cans on the regional circuit.

12 days ago
7/2/09
George Caldwell -
jgiveshead - 

I understand this is a metaphorical but there is no possible way that man's genitalia is boring in any sense.

No no no you misunderstood.  I was referring to his ass balls being boring.

12 days ago
7/2/09
CRE - He'll be fighting Minakov and certainly getting a top 10 UFC caliber challenge there.

I'd love to see Bader out Kongo, Kongo.  And then kick him in the balls.

11 days ago
3/24/15
Joshinho -

He's spent most of those wins up against the cage, grinding on lower level fighters. I don't have anything against him but I haven't been excited to watch him fight in years. 

Those “lower level fighters” are some of the best outside of the UFC. And as another poster stated they all have winning records. I’m saying he deserves back in the UFC because he’s smashing everyone outside of the organization. Minakov is arguably top 5 HW in the world as well.

11 days ago
3/24/15
bobmanll -
taintpuncher -

Questionable decision? Didnt kongo get outwrestled by the lighter king mo?

Yeah it was questionable in the sense that it should have been a UD loss for Kongo, but instead it was a SD because of the lay and pray of King Mo