UnderGround Forums Chimaev opens the favorite over Edwards

10/26/20 7:19 AM
1/1/01

Chimaev has opened between -180 and -150 vs Edwards.

Shocked at this.

Thought it would open -160 Edwards.

Don't think we have ever seen such a newcomer open as such a favorite over a top five fighter before, they rarely even get the fights vs the top five to begin with.

That being said, I think the odds are correct and I'd even bet Chimaev at -150.

10/26/20 10:56 AM
8/10/05

Edwards has had one fight with a wrestler in the UFC and was dominated on the ground. I'm not surprised.

10/26/20 1:23 PM
1/1/01

id favor Chimaev too

10/26/20 1:43 PM
1/1/01
Crap... was hoping the odds makers would it get it wrong.
10/26/20 1:58 PM
1/13/11
barbarian - Crap... was hoping the odds makers would it get it wrong.

Was hoping for this too, I say Chimaev lights him up on the feet. 

10/26/20 2:03 PM
10/3/16

Chimaev has yet to really be tested. He's a killer but he has never seen the 3rd round in any fight. It will be interesting to see how he performs if Edwards survives. He's a boring fighter but if he wins this he will have some chips to actually bet with.

10/26/20 3:10 PM
9/27/15
Makes no sense to me..Edwards has faced and beat a much more varied and talented group than Chimaev. I don't know how anyone could watch the fights of each guy and conclude that Chimaev is the favorite.

Leon ends the Chimaev hype train
10/26/20 3:11 PM
2/18/20
Ministry of Truth - 

Edwards has had one fight with a wrestler in the UFC and was dominated on the ground. I'm not surprised.

Exactly this.  This fight is tailored made for Chimaev.

10/26/20 3:18 PM
3/15/10
MarcusAurelioFan -

Chimaev has yet to really be tested. He's a killer but he has never seen the 3rd round in any fight. It will be interesting to see how he performs if Edwards survives. He's a boring fighter but if he wins this he will have some chips to actually bet with.

Lots of people say this, and he is very green still but what if he goes on to end his career 40-0 with 40 first round finishes?

Would you still hold it against him because he never left the 1st round and wasn’t ‘tested’?

10/26/20 3:26 PM
3/17/14

easy money to be made here. Leon has this

10/26/20 3:27 PM
1/14/12

Leon is a talented guy don’t let the fact his fights aren’t the most exciting overlook him.

10/26/20 3:27 PM
3/17/14
On a SideNote -
Ministry of Truth - 

you mean Usman whos the champ and dominated everyone. god damn you idiots are dumb

Edited: 10/26/20 3:35 PM
10/9/10
Steven McTowelie -
MarcusAurelioFan -

Lots of people say this, and he is very green still but what if he goes on to end his career 40-0 with 40 first round finishes?

Would you still hold it against him because he never left the 1st round and wasn’t ‘tested’?

If he goes 40-0 with 40 finishes and actually fights top guys for his last 10-15 opponents, then I personally wouldn’t hold it against him. If he was 40-0 with his best win being GM3 then yeah, I’d say he was relatively untested. 

But it’s not unreasonable for people to say he’s untested, because he is. If we were to go back and research to figure out how many guys have been this hyped from finishing guys in the first round and being undefeated, it would take weeks. There’s been upwards of at least a couple hundred, maybe even closer to 500 guys who most people thought would be a star, champion, or both, and ended up with a losing record in the UFC. 

I get that everyone wants to be the guy that gets to say “I told you guys, I’ve been saying it from the beginning!” when a prospect turns out to be the real deal. Don’t get me wrong he has looked tremendous, especially against GM3. His skills are unquestionably legit. But there are so many unknowns at this point that I’m not ready to say he’s gonna steamroll a guy like Leon. Leon has been fighting top guys for years. I’m ready to say Khamzat has legit skill and massive potential, and I’m excited to see how far he goes. 

10/26/20 3:37 PM
10/9/10
knappster -
On a SideNote -
Ministry of Truth - 

you mean Usman whos the champ and dominated everyone. god damn you idiots are dumb

Yeah I’m not ready to say Khamzat will dominate Leon just because Leon lost to Usman. Kamaru is an extremely dominant champ and has fought the best guys in the division. 

10/26/20 3:54 PM
8/10/05
knappster - 
On a SideNote -
Ministry of Truth - 

10/26/20 3:54 PM
8/14/18

Leon will fake an injury and no show. He don't want what Chimaev is dishing out.

10/26/20 7:08 PM
3/15/10
MasterofMartialArts -
Steven McTowelie -
MarcusAurelioFan -

If he goes 40-0 with 40 finishes and actually fights top guys for his last 10-15 opponents, then I personally wouldn’t hold it against him. If he was 40-0 with his best win being GM3 then yeah, I’d say he was relatively untested. 

But it’s not unreasonable for people to say he’s untested, because he is. If we were to go back and research to figure out how many guys have been this hyped from finishing guys in the first round and being undefeated, it would take weeks. There’s been upwards of at least a couple hundred, maybe even closer to 500 guys who most people thought would be a star, champion, or both, and ended up with a losing record in the UFC. 

I get that everyone wants to be the guy that gets to say “I told you guys, I’ve been saying it from the beginning!” when a prospect turns out to be the real deal. Don’t get me wrong he has looked tremendous, especially against GM3. His skills are unquestionably legit. But there are so many unknowns at this point that I’m not ready to say he’s gonna steamroll a guy like Leon. Leon has been fighting top guys for years. I’m ready to say Khamzat has legit skill and massive potential, and I’m excited to see how far he goes. 

I know what you’re saying, I’m definitely not one of those ‘I told you so’ types.

Was definitely around to see runs like Sokoudjou and how that turned out.

Would be fun if Chimaev was for real. We will only find out with time. Seems different than some others that started hot but gotta wait and see as the competition ramps up.

Edited: 10/26/20 11:26 PM
5/22/17
ons ear - Makes no sense to me..Edwards has faced and beat a much more varied and talented group than Chimaev. I don't know how anyone could watch the fights of each guy and conclude that Chimaev is the favorite.

Leon ends the Chimaev hype train

What are you going to say after khamzat wrecks Leon Scott?

10/27/20 12:02 AM
8/4/07

How long will it take Edwards to get out of his contract and onto Bellator after he loses? 

The UFC seems is content to write him off.

10/27/20 4:38 AM
4/12/05
Pulling for Edwards all things considered.
10/27/20 11:14 AM
8/10/05
chilz - 

How long will it take Edwards to get out of his contract and onto Bellator after he loses? 

When's the last time you noticed the UFC promote anyone who isn't a draw? Just par for the course, IMO.

10/27/20 11:26 AM
11/20/08
MasterofMartialArts -
Steven McTowelie -
MarcusAurelioFan -

This is true, this is a massive test, it will say a lot about him

As for being the next guy to say I told you so, I predicted GSP would be UFC champ when saw him in the old UCC. Same with Jon Jones lol, so I got a few good predictions 

10/27/20 12:50 PM
4/12/05

I'm putting $1,800 on hazmat. Good chin, insane wrestling. Freaky amazing fast twitch genetics.

I might triple it to $5,400. That sure.

10/27/20 4:06 PM
6/2/04
Ministry of Truth - 
chilz - 

When's the last time you noticed the UFC promote anyone who isn't a draw? Just par for the course, IMO.

They're not promoting him because he keeps turning down fights over and over. Who TF turns down a title shot because it's "only 6 weeks" away? Then turns down multiple other opponents to the point the UFC pulls him from the rankings?

10/27/20 4:29 PM
1/24/16

Chimaev makes it look easy, I am curious to hear the new excuses after.