UnderGround Forums Clay Guida: Most Underrated MMA Fighter Ever

5/15/19 8:34 PM
1/18/04
I like Guida, but he's a journeyman. I don't think many would consider him a contender even in his prime.
30 days ago
6/30/14
want someone more underrated? Sean Sherk
30 days ago
1/12/05
Fan of Fanboys - want someone more underrated? Sean Sherk

Yes. Sherk was just-below-elite at a division he had no business being in. He was a smaller Matt Hughes

30 days ago
1/1/01
Bobby Lupo -

Yes. Sherk was just-below-elite at a division he had no business being in. He was a smaller Matt Hughes

How can a former champion be considered “underrated”

sherk held the strap after Pulver 

29 days ago
11/20/09

Sherk is usually the first name mentioned when the topic is underrated fighters.  For that, makes me question if he really is underrated.  I'd say he isn't as remembered as he should be, but those who do remember him, don't underrate him.

29 days ago
1/12/05
Big Wes -
Bobby Lupo -

How can a former champion be considered “underrated”

sherk held the strap after Pulver 

You’re right. I guess he’s not regarded as highly as he should amongst newer fans. I have Sherk ahead of Gomi as BJ’s second most impressive win behind Hughes. 

29 days ago
1/8/04
Sherk had bad boxing fundamentals and he was successful with his wrestling because he was so juiced up and stronger than every fighter he face except Hughes. BJ worked him on the feet and was never close to being taken down.
Edited: 27 days ago
5/16/12

I liked Guida. Good guy and def underrated. He is one of those guys that had big wins and big losses. Every time you thought he could be ready for a title shot, he would lose. Somewhat similar to Cerrone.