UnderGround Forums Cm punk gets bronze medal in bjj

4/15/19 10:10 PM
5/22/15
Let's review the chain of events here.

Mickey Gall (1-0), was chosen from Dana White's "Lookin' for a Fight" to face Mike Jackson (1-0)* in both of their UFC debuts.

Mickey defeats Mike in 45 seconds.

Phil Brooks (0-0), a WWE star, who of no consequence just so happened to be in attendance.. wearing a suit, readied to be in the octagon instantaneously after Mickey Gall calls him out. A friendly staredown ensues. They are both happy to be there

Mickey then beats a Phil's ass.

Phil puts in a little more work.

UFC decides "Shoot, there's still money still to be made off this guy here. Let's sign him to fight the guy Mickey destroyed in 45 seconds and see if we can make some more!"

Mike dominates Phil for a judge's decision.

Mickey is now 5-2. Bolstering a win of Super Sage (11-2) another Dana White "Lookin' for a Fight" inductee who is now fighting for One.

Don't hate the player. Play the game.

Game.. what's that word mean?
4/15/19 10:44 PM
5/22/15
There are many players in any given game.
4/15/19 11:24 PM
8/8/18
Ministry of Truth -
Bilge Water - 

The guy is training and competing, good for him.  I'm not gonna hate on a guy for trying to get better. That's a bitch move.

Training and competing is commendable. I concur.

But fighting in the UFC simply because it's your dream and you can use your name and sell your soul to take someone's place who better deserves it, is nothing more than utter shit.

That's on the UFC though, if I was in Punks position, I would've taken that opportunity for sure. 

4/16/19 12:43 AM
10/17/18
D241 -
Gohan blanco - 
D241 -
Gohan blanco - 

Here are pics of his match.  Seems like he tapped someone with a Kimura 

https://www.facebook.com/thegrapplinggames/photos/a.2401646183202279/2401649986535232?type=3&sfns=cl

Ok can't lie it's a bit frustrating he's a blue belt and attempts the kimura like that. Ugh

Blue belt is just a rank above white.  It’s nothing special. Also, let’s see you execute clean technique against a full resisting opponent. 

I know the ranking system.

While you have a point that executing proper technique can be difficult against a resisting opponent, technique is technique and what you're not going to do, is tell me I'm wrong.

There's an old school UFC/Pride/KOTC(champion) who has a couple of nicknames and he is who taught me kimara techniques. Westside Strangler is one of his nicknames, the other nicknames is King of the Kimura. So, yeah, I don't think I was out of line with my comment and you seem to totally omit my original comment congratulating him for competing.

How do you know he didn’t originally have the technique correct but lost form when his opponent defended it.  It’s like when you lift weights and your form starts to give out when you get to your final reps.  

Ive tried to finish plenty of subs which I know were kinda crappy technique but sometimes you gotta be like fuck it cause you put so much effort in trying to set it up.  

I’m a blue as well and I’ve done a lot of things in poor form in the heat of the moment.  Hell, I’ve seen black belts try to finish subs with crappy form and pure strength. 

4/16/19 12:50 AM
1/7/09
Ministry of Truth -
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - 
Bilge Water - 

The guy is training and competing, good for him.  I'm not gonna hate on a guy for trying to get better. That's a bitch move.

But fighting in the UFC simply because it's your dream and you can use your name and sell your soul to take someone's place who better deserves it, is nothing more than utter shit.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

If you are in CM Punk's family, you want what's best for him.

CM can fall into the shadows, take some piece of shit job that doesn't make him happy, or he can use the fame he has which he worked very hard for, and use what he's already worked hard for for his benefit, what's wrong with that from his perspective?

I understand your point of view. But using your logic, anyone with a family, a name, and no MMA experience, such as Phil, should get a shot at fighting in the UFC if they would like to, right? Do you honestly think this looks good for the sport or even makes sense?

Using your logic no one would ever accept a job as they may be taking someone’s spot that’s more qualified.

4/16/19 1:35 AM
11/20/09
FatBuddha - 
D241 - If CM Punk took someone else's place more deserving, a spot opened up when Ronda Rousey went to WWE even though she didn't train for wwe like many other's did.

But let's not be consistent though people....

Not a good analogy. Love her or hate her, by all accounts Ronda is a very good pro wrestler. CM Punk isn't a very good mma fighter.

The subject was on merit for the opportunity, not skill. If the comparison was CM punk as a fighter vs Ronda as a wwe wrestler, it wouldn't be a fair comparison that I'd agree with but that's not what we're comparing though is it?

Again, the topic I was replying on was people hating on CM punk for the opportunity given to him where others have to earn it. Ronda Rousey used her UFC fame for the wwe opportunity that she would not have got if she didn't have name value.

I hate on Ronda but not for using her name/value to go to wwe. She was given the opportunity so if there's a problem with her being in the wwe, it's who gave her the opportunity, same with people having a problem with CM Punk being in the UFC.
Edited: 4/16/19 1:37 AM
11/20/09
dh
Edited: 4/16/19 1:38 AM
11/20/09
edit feature SUCKS for mudnamers!
4/16/19 1:41 AM
11/20/09
Gohan blanco - 
D241 -
Gohan blanco - 
D241 -
Gohan blanco - 

Here are pics of his match.  Seems like he tapped someone with a Kimura 

https://www.facebook.com/thegrapplinggames/photos/a.2401646183202279/2401649986535232?type=3&sfns=cl

Ok can't lie it's a bit frustrating he's a blue belt and attempts the kimura like that. Ugh

Blue belt is just a rank above white.  It’s nothing special. Also, let’s see you execute clean technique against a full resisting opponent. 

I know the ranking system.

While you have a point that executing proper technique can be difficult against a resisting opponent, technique is technique and what you're not going to do, is tell me I'm wrong.

There's an old school UFC/Pride/KOTC(champion) who has a couple of nicknames and he is who taught me kimara techniques. Westside Strangler is one of his nicknames, the other nicknames is King of the Kimura. So, yeah, I don't think I was out of line with my comment and you seem to totally omit my original comment congratulating him for competing.

How do you know he didn’t originally have the technique correct but lost form when his opponent defended it.  It’s like when you lift weights and your form starts to give out when you get to your final reps.  

Ive tried to finish plenty of subs which I know were kinda crappy technique but sometimes you gotta be like fuck it cause you put so much effort in trying to set it up.  

I’m a blue as well and I’ve done a lot of things in poor form in the heat of the moment.  Hell, I’ve seen black belts try to finish subs with crappy form and pure strength. 

Again you didn't acknowledge my original comment praising him for competing.

Now it sounds like you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

The grips on the kimura picture, do you think they are right or wrong? If you think they are wrong, then don't reply b/c there's nothing to argue if you agree with me. If you think his grips are accurate, enlighten us as to why that's the right way b/c I was taught differently.

Edited: 4/16/19 2:26 AM
5/15/15
Lights Out Lurker -
Ministry of Truth -
Bilge Water - 

Who's place could he possibly have taken? Grow up, he didn't crush someone's dream so he could fight in the ufc. The UFC paid him big dollars, deal with it.

Not only that, he made the UFC a lot of profit in both fights, thus creating an opportunity for somebody else.

Some people dont really understand business though...

4/16/19 3:39 AM
10/27/03

Im just surprised he’s still that bad about BJJ. Been training for a LONG time at this point.

He was doing interviews 5+yrs ago that he’d been training a long time but never bothered grading and was ‘forever a white belt because I never stop learning’

4/16/19 10:14 AM
12/9/02
so he competed against two other dudes and lost. good for him to start competing.
4/16/19 10:45 AM
8/10/05
TheDecider - 
Ministry of Truth -
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - 
Bilge Water - 

CM can fall into the shadows, take some piece of shit job that doesn't make him happy, or he can use the fame he has which he worked very hard for, and use what he's already worked hard for for his benefit, what's wrong with that from his perspective?

I understand your point of view. But using your logic, anyone with a family, a name, and no MMA experience, such as Phil, should get a shot at fighting in the UFC if they would like to, right? Do you honestly think this looks good for the sport or even makes sense?

Using your logic no one would ever accept a job as they may be taking someone’s spot that’s more qualified.

Not all logic can be argued/applied with black-and-white thinking, and requires more critical thinking skills than just a cursory approach.

For example, there's a HUGE difference between someone who is less qualified taking a job from someone more qualified, and someone who has ZERO qualifications signing a contract knowing they do not have the experience or ability to compete. The latter is acting far less responsible to the point of being irresponsible, where the prior is just taking taking a step further from where they have already proven themselves. There's a distinct difference between the two cases, where unless you explore the details, you can't simply make a general statement and prove it to be correct.
4/16/19 11:11 AM
1/22/05

Stop hating on the guy for trying.

4/16/19 12:18 PM
2/25/06
Bilge Water -

Agree

4/16/19 12:28 PM
5/13/05
ABCTT_BullyKiller -
Bilge Water -

Agree

The UG has become a beauty salon. Grown men with their head under the dryers gossping about other mens failures, love lifes, hairstyles, tattoos, etc.

4/16/19 1:43 PM
11/20/09
Ministry of Truth - 
TheDecider - 
Ministry of Truth -
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - 
Bilge Water - 

Not all logic can be argued/applied with black-and-white thinking, and requires more critical thinking skills than just a cursory approach.

For example, there's a HUGE difference between someone who is less qualified taking a job from someone more qualified, and someone who has ZERO qualifications signing a contract knowing they do not have the experience or ability to compete. The latter is acting far less responsible to the point of being irresponsible, where the prior is just taking taking a step further from where they have already proven themselves. There's a distinct difference between the two cases, where unless you explore the details, you can't simply make a general statement and prove it to be correct.

I noticed you're not addressing my post. I feel I make some good points and I feel you are thinking I'm not in agreement with you in some aspects but I am.

No one is suggesting he belonged. We're talking about who gives opportunities vs who takes them and who is to blame the one who offers or the one who accepts.

For consistency purposes, do you openly gripe about Kim Kardashian's success? Surely with her wealth there are others more capable right?

What about Danielle Brogoli or whatever her name is, the "catch me outside" girl. She's making rap videos and I think has some line of clothing. Surely an adult with education would be more worthy right? Do you hate society for giving the platform? The sponsors who endorse her? Or do you hate her for accepting everything being offered to her?

I'm not a fan of Kim Kardashian. It's disgusting how she got famous and wealthy. Can I seriously blame her though? Hell no.

Do you think I'm a fan of the "catch me outside girl"? Hell no she's epitomizes what's wrong with our country. Bad parenting, approval from society. Do I blame her for accepting money and fame though? Of course not.

If you come around and realize CM Punk would never have fought in UFC if UFC had never given him an opportunity, it doesn't mean you think CM Punk was a deserving fighter or something.
4/16/19 2:09 PM
8/10/05
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - 
TheDecider - 
Ministry of Truth -
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - 
Bilge Water - 

I noticed you're not addressing my post. I feel I make some good points and I feel you are thinking I'm not in agreement with you in some aspects but I am.

No one is suggesting he belonged. We're talking about who gives opportunities vs who takes them and who is to blame the one who offers or the one who accepts.

For consistency purposes, do you openly gripe about Kim Kardashian's success? Surely with her wealth there are others more capable right?

What about Danielle Brogoli or whatever her name is, the "catch me outside" girl. She's making rap videos and I think has some line of clothing. Surely an adult with education would be more worthy right? Do you hate society for giving the platform? The sponsors who endorse her? Or do you hate her for accepting everything being offered to her?

I'm not a fan of Kim Kardashian. It's disgusting how she got famous and wealthy. Can I seriously blame her though? Hell no.

Do you think I'm a fan of the "catch me outside girl"? Hell no she's epitomizes what's wrong with our country. Bad parenting, approval from society. Do I blame her for accepting money and fame though? Of course not.

If you come around and realize CM Punk would never have fought in UFC if UFC had never given him an opportunity, it doesn't mean you think CM Punk was a deserving fighter or something.

I'm not familiar with Kardashian or Brogoli, so I can't really comment on them.

I believe I already said at one point that BOTH CM/Phil and UFC are responsible for what happened. If I didn't, here you go.

This thread is about Phil and early comments were about him fighting in the UFC, so that's why I have focused on him. The UFC was happy to use his name to get more eyes and make more money. Regardless of Phil's performance, it was a win-win situation for them. Phil on the other hand, well, we all know how that turned out for him. I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

Bottom line is I know my name means more to me, but if Phil's doesn't, that's on him. ;)
4/16/19 2:11 PM
8/10/05
All I can see Phil got from the UFC is some black eyes, wounded pride, and proof he doesn't belong in MMA let alone the UFC. If that somehow equates to a win in any way, I'm not sure what losing is.
Edited: 4/16/19 3:26 PM
9/1/04
Ministry of Truth - 
Bilge Water - 

That would be shit...it it happened. If he got people paid and created 3 jobs for every one he took, that's a different story.
4/16/19 3:50 PM
6/8/10
Ministry of Truth -
Bilge Water - 

Isn't that 90% of the world, just like moving up in the business world  you use your connections  It's who you know, he trained hard and took it seriously so I have no problem with it. 

4/16/19 4:14 PM
1/1/01
Ministry of Truth - All I can see Phil got from the UFC is some black eyes, wounded pride, and proof he doesn't belong in MMA let alone the UFC. If that somehow equates to a win in any way, I'm not sure what losing is.

your a good poster Ill keep my eye out for your posts
4/16/19 4:28 PM
1/1/01
D241 - 
FatBuddha - 
D241 - If CM Punk took someone else's place more deserving, a spot opened up when Ronda Rousey went to WWE even though she didn't train for wwe like many other's did.

But let's not be consistent though people....

Not a good analogy. Love her or hate her, by all accounts Ronda is a very good pro wrestler. CM Punk isn't a very good mma fighter.

The subject was on merit for the opportunity, not skill. If the comparison was CM punk as a fighter vs Ronda as a wwe wrestler, it wouldn't be a fair comparison that I'd agree with but that's not what we're comparing though is it?

Again, the topic I was replying on was people hating on CM punk for the opportunity given to him where others have to earn it. Ronda Rousey used her UFC fame for the wwe opportunity that she would not have got if she didn't have name value.

I hate on Ronda but not for using her name/value to go to wwe. She was given the opportunity so if there's a problem with her being in the wwe, it's who gave her the opportunity, same with people having a problem with CM Punk being in the UFC.

merit for the opportunity is inextricably and directly related to skill in that opportunity
4/16/19 4:30 PM
1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 

Im just surprised he’s still that bad about BJJ. Been training for a LONG time at this point.

He was doing interviews 5+yrs ago that he’d been training a long time but never bothered grading and was ‘forever a white belt because I never stop learning’

Totally agree. Something is seriously wrong with his motivation and/or preparation.
4/16/19 6:47 PM
7/31/09
FingerorMoon -

Maybe he doesn't really train that much.