UnderGround Forums Coach: Khabib camp sporadic, 246 camp regimented

12/10/19 10:35 PM
1/1/01
“The training camp is structured way better," said striking coach Owen Roddy, as transcribed by Peter Carroll for MMA Fighting. "The last camp was just a bit sporadic. We didn’t know what time we were training at. Sometimes it was very late at night, sometimes it was early in the morning and nobody really knew. Even though we were making all of these sessions, I don’t think that’s good for you when he doesn’t even know what time he’s going to train at, just doing it off feel. For the past couple of months it’s been very regimented.”

“We’re training at 11 and 7 every day. We’re doing strength and conditioning, whether it’s in the morning or evening, and then doing a technical session and it’s perfect. And you can see that’s reaping the benefits and rewards already from that. As I said, he’s been working on his strength and conditioning for a while before he even came into this camp, so now we’re not spending half the camp trying to get in shape or anything like that. Now, he’s in tip-top shape and now we’re just focusing on the game plan – coming up with a good game plan and going in and executing it.”

"You can see it in him – he’s enjoying it. I don’t know, he’s had a crazy couple of years man…I don’t know how he copes…nobody knows how he deals with what he deals with because there is so much…I can only imagine. He has so many businesses; I’m running my own business here and it’s 24/7. He’s got businesses that are worth millions and he’s got so much going, it’s chaotic I’d say. Now he’s after sorting everything out and he’s back doing what he loves to do. I think when you start to see some footage of him training, he starts to do his interviews and he starts building the fight, you’re going to see the old Conor back…I can see that already. When people see that, they’re going to say, ‘That’s the Conor we fell in love with.’ He has that hunger again. A hungry, dedicated and motivated Conor McGregor is a scary dude.”

(42:00 mark)
12/10/19 10:51 PM
12/7/14

“striking coach Owen Roddy, also known to some as ConorWinsTheRematch”

12/11/19 2:22 AM
4/25/16
Boom Boom Mancino -

“striking coach Owen Roddy, also known to some as ConorWinsTheRematch”

Ha. Perf.

12/11/19 6:31 AM
1/13/11

Seems like a pretty stupid idea to take a fight with Khabib lightly. 

12/11/19 6:58 AM
9/5/11
Flexo -

Have you ever had a serious task ahead of you? Nothing could get in the way of you getting that task completed, right? 

Ever have dozens of millions of dollars distracting you from your preparation? I bet millions of dollars wouldn’t possibly distract you, huh? Yeah, seems pretty stupid when you think of it, eh? 

12/11/19 7:11 AM
11/20/05

The Irish are turning into the Brazilians with their excuses.

Literally a balloon. Lol

12/11/19 7:42 AM
8/23/12

Starts by saying camp is really regimented and well structured. Then in the next breath, it's chaos, he's so busy.

I would love for Connor to get tapped again, it would actually be better than him getting starched. 

12/11/19 8:26 AM
8/4/10

Bullshit excuses, how about this excuse "khabib is just better than our guy"...I hope they rematch so the exact same shit can happen again...the hype train that was McGregor has left the station looong ago

12/11/19 10:24 AM
1/13/11
Malvert the Janitor -
Flexo -

Have you ever had a serious task ahead of you? Nothing could get in the way of you getting that task completed, right? 

Ever have dozens of millions of dollars distracting you from your preparation? I bet millions of dollars wouldn’t possibly distract you, huh? Yeah, seems pretty stupid when you think of it, eh? 

When the chance for more dozens of millions of dollars that he always talks about wanting, plus the glory he enjoys, then ya, seems pretty stupid. Not sure where I said that millions wouldn't distract me, or that I wouldn't do the same thing. Doesnt change that it seems pretty stupid to take that approach against a guy like Khalabib. 

12/11/19 10:36 AM
2/17/03
pennviachoke - 

Bullshit excuses, how about this excuse "khabib is just better than our guy"...I hope they rematch so the exact same shit can happen again...the hype train that was McGregor has left the station looong ago

I don't see this as an excuse.
12/11/19 10:52 AM
1/1/01
Malvert the Janitor -
Flexo -

Wake up and smell the bullshit excuses...

12/11/19 11:00 AM
4/14/14

It just goes to show how 'genius' the SBG fightcamp is. They are so lucky to have Conor McGregor. Without him they would've been a mediocre gym.

After the first Nate fight, they said the same thing; we underestimated him, we weren't training properly, but we've learned from it, blabala.

Now comes the same excuse again. Just shows the level of genius that gym really has

12/11/19 11:14 AM
2/17/03
Floppy Divac: "Wake up and smell the bullshit excuses..."

Why do you think this is an excuse? Does anybody seriously doubt that the Conor McGregor who fought Khabib was less focused than the guy who destroyed Eddie Alvarez? He looked, acted, and fought much worse. Besides, unless I missed something, Roddy didn't attribute the loss to a sporadic fight camp; he just made an observation.

I think Khabib beats the shit out of every version of Conor we ever saw. But, I don't think that this was an excuse.

martyfly: "It just goes to show how 'genius' the SBG fightcamp is. They are so lucky to have Conor McGregor. Without him they would've been a mediocre gym."

You think that Conor losing discipline was SBG's fault? SBG Ireland is a lot like Strong Style. It is a regional pioneer that had one world-champion level fighter and a bunch of very solid regional and lower-tier UFC fighters. That's a good fight gym by any measure. Just because it isn't AKA doesn't mean that it's not good.
12/11/19 11:22 AM
8/4/10
wiggum -
pennviachoke - 

To each his own but I definitely see this as an excuse..a bad one

12/11/19 11:28 AM
2/17/03
"To each his own but I definitely see this as an excuse..a bad one"

I think fighters walk a fine line between a duty to be honest and a duty not to make excuses. There is a big difference between Nick Diaz blaming airplane water and Chad Mendes explaining that his boring performance against Lentz was because he had a bad sinus infection.

If Roddy said, "if we had a Alvarez-style camp, Khabib would have been in trouble" then I would have agreed.
12/11/19 11:38 AM
5/15/15

So his team is admiting they're not organised, yet Conor continues to train with them?!?

He needs to get a new camp asap...

12/11/19 11:40 AM
1/1/01
moogin83 -

So his team is admiting they're not organised, yet Conor continues to train with them?!?

He is not organized.

He tells HIS team when to train. 

12/11/19 11:41 AM
4/14/14
wiggum - Floppy Divac: "Wake up and smell the bullshit excuses..."

Why do you think this is an excuse? Does anybody seriously doubt that the Conor McGregor who fought Khabib was less focused than the guy who destroyed Eddie Alvarez? He looked, acted, and fought much worse. Besides, unless I missed something, Roddy didn't attribute the loss to a sporadic fight camp; he just made an observation.

I think Khabib beats the shit out of every version of Conor we ever saw. But, I don't think that this was an excuse.

martyfly: "It just goes to show how 'genius' the SBG fightcamp is. They are so lucky to have Conor McGregor. Without him they would've been a mediocre gym."

You think that Conor losing discipline was SBG's fault? SBG Ireland is a lot like Strong Style. It is a regional pioneer that had one world-champion level fighter and a bunch of very solid regional and lower-tier UFC fighters. That's a good fight gym by any measure. Just because it isn't AKA doesn't mean that it's not good.

The mediocrity is shown in their approach. Everybody talks about Kavangh and Roddy being 'genius', whereas they got lucky to have very talented fighter walk in. 

The fact that they approach such big fights (diaz 1 and khabib) unstructured shows a lot about their strategic intelligence. Besides, Owen Roddy used to be a brawler so you can't expect a rocket science approach for him. His padholding is very basic.

12/11/19 11:43 AM
2/17/03
moogin83 - 

I take the sporadic camp as relating more to Conor's lifestyle than SBG.
12/11/19 11:45 AM
2/17/03
martyfly - 
wiggum - Floppy Divac: "Wake up and smell the bullshit excuses..."

The mediocrity is shown in their approach. Everybody talks about Kavangh and Roddy being 'genius', whereas they got lucky to have very talented fighter walk in. 

The fact that they approach such big fights (diaz 1 and khabib) unstructured shows a lot about their strategic intelligence. Besides, Owen Roddy used to be a brawler so you can't expect a rocket science approach for him. His padholding is very basic.

The days when SBG Ireland coaches were called geniuses are long gone, I think. Only nut huggers still do it.

Instead, they should be seen as good regional coaches.
12/11/19 11:59 AM
10/9/10
Y2JB -

Starts by saying camp is really regimented and well structured. Then in the next breath, it's chaos, he's so busy.

I would love for Connor to get tapped again, it would actually be better than him getting starched. 

He said Conor’s life outside the cage has been chaos and that this training camp is regimented. Not that hard to understand. 

12/11/19 12:03 PM
10/9/10
wiggum - "To each his own but I definitely see this as an excuse..a bad one"

I think fighters walk a fine line between a duty to be honest and a duty not to make excuses. There is a big difference between Nick Diaz blaming airplane water and Chad Mendes explaining that his boring performance against Lentz was because he had a bad sinus infection.

If Roddy said, "if we had a Alvarez-style camp, Khabib would have been in trouble" then I would have agreed.

I see it this way too. They took nothing away from Khabib by saying this. It just means that Conor has a higher chance of success with a better camp. 

12/11/19 12:16 PM
11/20/05
pennviachoke -
wiggum -
pennviachoke - 

To each his own but I definitely see this as an excuse..a bad one

It's 100% an excuse, or else it wouldn't have been mentioned. Take into account all the lame excuses that Conor has come out with since the fight......

Literally a balloon

12/11/19 2:20 PM
5/15/15
multiculturaljoseph -
moogin83 -

He is not organized.

He tells HIS team when to train. 

Then HIS team is letting him down by allowing it.

12/11/19 4:54 PM
2/25/11
Y2JB -

That’s not what was said at all.

you should re think all of your assumptions about life- you have misunderstood spectacularly.