UnderGround Forums Conor McGregor finally spoke his truth, quietly

10 days ago
12/3/08
After the third round of UFC 229’s main event ended and Khabib Nurmagomedov let Conor McGregor off of the cage fence he’d pinned him against, the publicly boisterous Irishman offered a quiet supplication in relative private to the Dagestani champion.

“It’s just business,” McGregor said.

Nurmagomedov wasn’t having it. Not after months of McGregor taunting him, his family, his religious practices, and his nation.

Nurmagomedov had promised to do his talking in the cage on fight night, both metaphorically and literally with McGregor, and had no apparent interest in softening his approach or excusing any of McGregor’s public insults and attacks in the midst of fighting the former champion as the Straight Blast Gym team member seemed to be asking for.

“Let’s talk now,” Nurmagomedov said, in response as referee Herb Dean attempted to separate and return the fighters to their corners.

“Hey! Let’s talk.”

It was a brief but profoundly telling moment. In public, McGregor had insulted Nurmagomedov in the most personal of ways, even physically attacking him and other UFC fighters with a mob of thugs he’d flown in from Ireland last spring as they were cutting weight before a card in New York.

With microphone in hand, McGregor had repeatedly promised that once he got his fists on Nurmagomedov there would be one-sided violence from the Dubliner, even that he could and might well kill his Russian opponent. After three rounds of being dominated and bludgeoned by Nurmagomedov, however, it was clear to the world and likely also to McGregor that his predictions would not come to pass.

So, once actually faced with him, in a quiet voice, stopping short of actual apology, McGregor pleaded for understanding with his better minutes before he submitted to the pain Nurmagomedov doled out. Perhaps McGregor was starting to realize that for many, life and its most precious elements – family, home, faith, and pride – are not rhetorical playthings.

If he wasn’t, then, he certainly soon would in the riotous moments after his submission to Nurmagomedov as the lightweight champion taunted the silent and seated McGregor before going after the rest of his team and before “Notorious” ended up fighting several other angered Nurmagomedov teammates.

You see, McGregor hadn’t just arrogantly promised victory. In some form or fashion, most fighters usually do that, including Nurmagomedov.McGregor, as has become his disgusting habit, inflamed ethnic tensions with bigoted speech and mocked Nurmagomedov in the most personal ways.

McGregor made fun of Nurmagomedov not drinking in adherence to his Muslim faith. McGregor called the entire Russian people cowards who were chased into mountains. McGregor made fun of Nurmagomedov’s father and coach. McGregor repeatedly physically attacked Nurmagomedov and others, physically, including with weapons, and as recently as the day prior onstage at the ceremonial UFC 229 weigh-ins, he smacked “The Eagle” with his hands before throwing a kick at him.

McGregor’s insults and attacks were all loud, well-covered, and mediated by a system of interdependent institutions (the UFC, state athletic commissions like Nevada’s and New York’s, and American courts) evidently dead set on protecting McGregor from sanction or danger, as well as their own abilities to exploit them all for cash.

In the cage, with nothing between himself and Nurmagomedov but a referee, McGregor was first, ineffective as a fighter, and then meek and pleading as a negotiator. He thought he had an understanding with his opponent, or at least that he could quickly broker one.

Nurmagomedov already understood things as well as he needed to, however. McGregor said he wanted a fight, and he had a rough one.

He spoke up in public and from a distance, and now Nurmagomedov offered him the chance to flap his gums up close and personal.

It’s sad that McGregor has to learn the hard way that words and actions have consequences, that some people care more about the sport, family, homeland, and faith than he appears to.

I honestly hope that McGregor finally learned lessons that he should have been taught as a child and eases up on his violent and insulting rhetoric, especially if he’s doing and saying it all insincerely, in craven attempts to make more money. People who don’t mean what they say and do can find more trouble than they can handle when they run into people who do.

There are real people and then there are people who put on shows. The latter needn’t mix with the former.

Calling for fights you don’t actually want isn’t a healthy practice, and the resulting pleas with opponents to ease up on you while in the midst of battle are not a good look for anyone.
10 days ago
12/3/08

Elias Cepeda writes a weekly column for The UG Feed; you can find Elias Cepe on Twitter @EliasCepeda.

elias cepeda

10 days ago
2/2/15

Lmao @ "spoke his truth". Clue number one the writer is an SJW

10 days ago
9/21/11

This states McGregor himself insulted Khabib's religion and practices. I don't recall that, could you please cite? 

10 days ago
7/15/15

OP - stating that Conor talked shit about islam, without any evidence, is slander.  Go to school, get an education, learn to write.  Then commence you're writing career

10 days ago
3/3/18
"After three rounds of being dominated and bludgeoned by Nurmagomedov"

Someone show Elias the judges' scorecards for round 3.
10 days ago
8/23/04
big_josh -

This states McGregor himself insulted Khabib's religion and practices. I don't recall that, could you please cite? 

You backwards cunt! 

10 days ago
5/11/11

This is such an Elias article lol.

Edited: 10 days ago
1/30/16

For cage fighters and fans of cage fighters, OP and others like him are as soft as Nancy boys.

He talked trash to sell, got beat up, lost. Get over it and stop with the “whaaaa but he said mean things” nonsense

10 days ago
7/15/15

"Calling for fights you don’t actually want isn’t a healthy practice, and the resulting pleas with opponents to ease up on you while in the midst of battle are not a good look for anyone."

yeah, McGregor didn't want any part of the fight that would get him an estimated $50 million payday.  You really think McGregor was scared?  He had balls for stepping into that cage after a 2 year layoff.

10 days ago
3/29/09
What kind of twat hack of a "Journalist" wrote this? You have a future with CNN, kid or maybe some other fake news website.
10 days ago
12/14/15

Elias ha ha. To writing what Black is to analysing. Fucking awful. 

10 days ago
10/26/05
Huh...that shit is terrible. I don't know who Elias Cepada is but he has chosen the wrong career path.
10 days ago
6/1/12

I’m more of a lurker and not much of a poster, but I have to say this is a bad article. Did Conor actually ask him to ease up while they were fighting? Is he just making things up?

10 days ago
2/10/12

It’s embarrassing for any website covering this sport to be perpetuating false statements that make the sport look bad. This is especially true when the incident being discussed is already somewhat embarrassing for the sport.

the statement made was “its the fight business”, this statement was made in response to protests to the referee regarding the unscrupulous act of holding/hooking an opponents glove. With that in mind, this entire article is incorrect in most of its assertions. 

Futher assertions, such as religion being attacked are also untrue, a persons culture was disparaged in the lead up to the fight. Because of the particular religion in question, these assertions are especially problematic. 

The only person to have spoken ‘their truth’ is the author of the article, spouting misinformation and reactionary opinion which, in my opinion, serves only to perpetuate the negative connotations the incident has attracted to this sport in the eyes of the wider world.

10 days ago
3/13/18
potatoes -

It’s embarrassing for any website covering this sport to be perpetuating false statements that make the sport look bad. This is especially true when the incident being discussed is already somewhat embarrassing for the sport.

the statement made was “its the fight business”, this statement was made in response to protests to the referee regarding the unscrupulous act of holding/hooking an opponents glove. With that in mind, this entire article is incorrect in most of its assertions. 

Futher assertions, such as religion being attacked are also untrue, a persons culture was disparaged in the lead up to the fight. Because of the particular religion in question, these assertions are especially problematic. 

The only person to have spoken ‘their truth’ is the author of the article, spouting misinformation and reactionary opinion which, in my opinion, serves only to perpetuate the negative connotations the incident has attracted to this sport in the eyes of the wider world.

https://youtu.be/u5nU45sueFc

10 days ago
1/1/01
DCgavemetheBBC - 

OP - stating that Conor talked shit about islam, without any evidence, is slander.  Go to school, get an education, learn to write.  Then commence you're writing career

this
10 days ago
2/2/07

That article sucks. Elias comes off like such a d-bag time and time again. 

10 days ago
9/13/18
DCgavemetheBBC -

Man, you must be the best at what you do... No mistakes right? Other then being alittle over the top, I though it was a good article. Just like with the fighters you guys are too critical. I garentee you couldn't have done better.. And if you can, why aren't you writing for the site? So stop telling people to go back to school when you probably never even graduated

10 days ago
6/20/13

What did Conor say about Islam?

10 days ago
3/5/15

Another shit article by a shit writer. 

10 days ago
7/15/15
Swamp Donkey -
DCgavemetheBBC -

Man, you must be the best at what you do... No mistakes right? Other then being alittle over the top, I though it was a good article. Just like with the fighters you guys are too critical. I garentee you couldn't have done better.. And if you can, why aren't you writing for the site? So stop telling people to go back to school when you probably never even graduated

did you lose a sn bet elias?

10 days ago
1/3/08

Elias is gonna Elias:

“McGregor repeatedly physically attacked Nurmagomedov and others, physically”

How would you non physically attack someone physically? And when we’re these repeated attacks? 

Typical biased horrible writing.

10 days ago
1/3/08
Swamp Donkey -
DCgavemetheBBC -

It’s one thing for us dummies posting on a forum to make mistakes, but anyone writing as an author should be held to higher standards, not sure if you’ve read many of his articles but they generally cause a stir 

10 days ago
1/1/01

I hate McGregor and I have to admit that this “article” was a load of shit. Just fucking pathetic. No wonder this site has died.