UnderGround Forums Conor McGregor finally spoke his truth, quietly

Edited: 10 days ago
7/12/12
Education

University of Illinois at Chicago

Degree Name Bachelor's degree

Field Of Study Political Science

Dates attended or expected graduation 2002 – 2010

I earned a degree in Political Science with an Urban Politics concentration, and co-authored a paper on the voting record of Chicago's City Council after a year of research under Professor Dick Simpson.
10 days ago
10/28/16
Paulbtk - What kind of twat hack of a "Journalist" wrote this? You have a future with CNN, kid or maybe some other fake news website.

bacon neck
10 days ago
3/6/14

What a predictably dog shite article. 

10 days ago
1/13/17

This was predictable...

i saw the title and said the ug will DEFINITELY treasure this one.

personally not a big fan of mma journalists or the article. But practice makes perfect. Right?

Maybe I’m too high

10 days ago
8/13/09

If Kirik ever cans you, I imagine salon.com would love your writing

10 days ago
9/7/04

LOL, the love for Elias is like nothing I’ve ever seen before here on the UG.  

10 days ago
7/12/12
TheBulgarianAssassin - 
chupecabre - Huh...that shit is terrible. I don't know who Elias Cepada is but he has chosen the wrong career path.

Can someone give this man a better background on Elias Cepeda please? The old bio he used that was on the bottom of all of his articles was a classic. 

I have 13 years of both print and digital media editing and writing experience for local and national outlets. As an editor, I specialize in talent recruitment and training, developing strategic partnerships, crafting a conscious, entertaining and engaging editorial voice, and increasing visitor/reader engagement through multimedia packaging of news and features.

As a writer, I most enjoy trying to highlight shared humanity and connect common experiences from seemingly different worlds. I specialize in feature profiles, commentary, long-form narrative and serial work.

I am an effective social media communicator and am adept at integrating effective s.m. strategies into content-creation workflow.
Experience

MixedMartialArts.com
Columnist
Company Name MixedMartialArts.com
Dates Employed Sep 2016 – Present
Employment Duration 2 yrs 2 mos
FloSports
Writer
Company Name FloSports
Dates Employed Mar 2017 – Present
Employment Duration 1 yr 8 mos

Features and opinion staff writer for FloCombat.com.
Time Inc.
The Extra Rounds Podcast co-host, SportsIllustrated/FanSided
Company Name Time Inc.
Dates Employed Jul 2016 – Present
Employment Duration 2 yrs 4 mos

I write features for FanSided.com, and host The Extra Rounds Podcast with Mike Dyce.
FOX Sports
Senior Staff Writer
Company Name FOX Sports
Dates Employed Nov 2014 – Jul 2016
Employment Duration 1 yr 9 mos
Location Greater Chicago Area

• News, features, columns and event coverage writing for both “print” and multi-media packages
• Video feature producing, writing, and hosting
• Audio programming writing, editing and hosting
... See more
NBC Chicago
Ward Room writer
Company Name NBC Chicago
Dates Employed 2015 – 2015
Employment Duration less than a year

Covered Illinois politics for NBC 5 Chicago's website with enterprise reporting, features and commentary.
Yahoo
Editor
Company Name Yahoo
Dates Employed Oct 2013 – Nov 2014
Employment Duration 1 yr 2 mos

Produced original written features and news reports as well as edited blog posts for the boxing and MMA pages of Yahoo! Sports
Break Media
CagePotato Contributing Writer
Company Name Break Media
Dates Employed Dec 2009 – Dec 2013
Employment Duration 4 yrs 1 mo

• Contributed to daily coverage of boxing and mixed martial arts events and personalities in the form of features, reporting, blogging, event live-blogging and on-site video interviews. I also developed and wrote special, long-form features
City Suburban Newspapers
Editorial Director
Company Name City Suburban Newspapers
Dates Employed Jan 2011 – Oct 2011
Employment Duration 10 mos

• Coordinated coverage for the city’s largest (Spanish-English) bilingual newspaper (EXTRA) as well as a new bilingual publication (Leader Post) for the city’s Northwest side launched in June, 2011
• Managed publications’ editorial department and oversaw display sales and classifieds departments
• Recruited, trained, and managed network of contributing writers/photographers/design... See more
Radio Arte 90.5 FM
Journalism and writing instructor
Company Name Radio Arte 90.5 FM
Dates Employed Oct 2010 – Jan 2011
Employment Duration 4 mos

• Planned curriculum for a three-month teaching module for young people training at Radio Arte on the basics of journalism and writing
• Instructed students aged 15-24 twice a week
• Worked individually with students to support them each completing a final project consi... See more
Arte y Vida Chicago
Contributing Writer
Company Name Arte y Vida Chicago
Dates Employed Aug 2010 – Jan 2011
Employment Duration 6 mos

• Wrote regular art and culture features, primarily profile stories
• Reported to the ArteYVidaChicago Publisher
Zuffa Llc
UFC.com Contributing writer
Company Name Zuffa Llc
Dates Employed Mar 2008 – Jan 2011
Employment Duration 2 yrs 11 mos

• Wrote regular feature profiles as event lead-in coverage for the Ultimate Fighter Championship’s home page
NewCity Magazine
Contributing Writer
Company Name NewCity Magazine
Dates Employed May 2010 – Aug 2010
Employment Duration 4 mos

• Wrote food, culture and arts features
• Maintained NewCity Magazine’s online restaurant events listing
InsideFighting.com
Publisher, Editor in Chief
Company Name InsideFighting.com
Dates Employed Jun 2006 – Aug 2009
Employment Duration 3 yrs 3 mos

• Led marketing efforts and developed strategic partnerships with outlets such as FoxSports.com and SpikeTV
• Coordinated nationwide photographic and written coverage for the premier online boxing and mixed martial arts news & features destination... See more
Political Science Department Research Assistant
Company Name University of Illinois at Chicago
Dates Employed Aug 2005 – May 2006
Employment Duration 10 mos

• Collected City Council voting data, researched issues, attended and covered council meetings
• Interviewed Council people and staff and wrote in contribution to the report, Chicago City Council's Newly Found Independence.
• Presented our report at several forums, meetings and conferences across the U.S.... See more
Media Democracy Chicago
Researcher
Company Name Media Democracy Chicago
Dates Employed Feb 2005 – Jul 2005
Employment Duration 6 mos

• Researched Cable and Broadband franchises in the greater metropolitan area
• Compiled data and collecting information on 75 cities spanning a seven county area through records research and telephone correspondence with municipality governments
• Synthesized data into presentable spreadsheet form... See more

Education

Degree Name Bachelor's degree

Field Of Study Political Science

Dates attended or expected graduation 2002 – 2010

I earned a degree in Political Science with an Urban Politics concentration, and co-authored a paper on the voting record of Chicago's City Council after a year of research under Professor Dick Simpson.

10 days ago
4/24/12

Great article fuck the salty Conor cock gobblers who think otherwise 

10 days ago
7/12/12
Cara Cicatriz - 

Great article fuck the salty Conor cock gobblers who think otherwise 

I am sure Elias appreciates your post seriously...look at his resume *above* the guy is fucking pro, he is no hack!

Maybe not his best work but cut him some slack!!!!
7/12/12
Now that you read his full bio..everybody shut the fuck up?

Fucking LOL, I bet there is no one here who has* a better resume, I sure as hell don't!

Elias that resume is awesome! Care to comment on all your writing gigs or the Extra Rounds Podcast?

The Extra Rounds Podcast with Mike Dyce and Elias Cepeda, talking all things MMA including the UFC and Bellator.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/extra-rounds-podcast/id1137804447?mt=2
10 days ago
1/11/10
2JupitersTooMany -

Anyone with a brain knows that Conor is doing and saying all these wacky things to make money. Anyone who takes it personally isn’t emotionally intelligent, and doesn’t realize the only reason they are getting paid is because he’s doing it. He had just enough skill and just enough luck to do it long enough to become a superstar. 

Connor Nuthuggers takes it a lot more personal than anyone else. 

You all try to act and talk like him. Worship everything that he says like a cult. And accepts all the lines that he crosses. If that was reverse, and some say shit about him, you all fume in the mouth and go nuts just like what you guys are doing now over this article.

The article is from someone’s point of view that has a lot of truth to it, but it’s clear that you guys can’t handle the truth.

10 days ago
4/22/07

What did conor say about his religion? 

3/13/18
potatoes -
3fie -
potatoes -

It’s embarrassing for any website covering this sport to be perpetuating false statements that make the sport look bad. This is especially true when the incident being discussed is already somewhat embarrassing for the sport.

the statement made was “its the fight business”, this statement was made in response to protests to the referee regarding the unscrupulous act of holding/hooking an opponents glove. With that in mind, this entire article is incorrect in most of its assertions. 

Futher assertions, such as religion being attacked are also untrue, a persons culture was disparaged in the lead up to the fight. Because of the particular religion in question, these assertions are especially problematic. 

The only person to have spoken ‘their truth’ is the author of the article, spouting misinformation and reactionary opinion which, in my opinion, serves only to perpetuate the negative connotations the incident has attracted to this sport in the eyes of the wider world.

https://youtu.be/u5nU45sueFc

If you want to discuss something with someone, you typically write a response, put your thoughts into text to enable a discussion. You have not addressed the entirety of my post, merely dropped a link that I assume is your way of disputing one point from my post. That aside, I neither hear nor understand why, a person would say its only business in that context. Let’s say that we know for a fact that was what was said, does it not strike you as being remotely odd? Does it not seem more likely that he was addressing the fact his opponent was protesting against him cheating, which he had been doing only seconds before the video? Don’t let your hate of a person impede your critical thinking. Frame it from your own point of view, if you’re rolling with someone and getting the better of them, they start cheating, you protest, in that moment what do you think they stand up and say?

I don't want to discuss it with you. I wanted to point out your source material was incorrect. I am curious though. Where in the world did you pull out the word "fighting" from the audio? Nothing remotely sounds like that even if you are deaf. You just made it up out of thin air and then went onto this massive theory based on it. All wrong. What is there to discuss?

Besides, there is a discussion about it already, feel free to drop your nuggets over there:

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/Its-only-business---Conor-conceded-defeat:2744538?pc=27

10 days ago
9/23/07
This article is terrible just like all his articles are terrible.
10 days ago
1/11/10
TFK_UGCTT_Sk1tzO420 -
philippine_guolitine -
DCgavemetheBBC -
philippine_guolitine -

Lots of butt hurts in here!!!

The article is much closer to the truth than what the Nuthuggers have been claiming about McGregor.

Some exaggerations on some parts, otherwise it narrates what actually happened.

Hoy, tanga.  Tahimik ka diyan

What are you, a Filipino Bakla sucking on McGregor’s white nuts.

Ah, your Username confirms it.

Tangina mo!!!

You are one of two idiots that think this is a good article, and orcus is posting here. 

Apparently me and someone else are not the only two people who thought so.

Calling me an idiot makes you the idiot for siding to someone’s articlen or opinion.

I didn’t call anyone an idiot until now, but I know for a fact that you’re a Nuthugger!!!

10 days ago
3/5/15
philippine_guolitine -
2JupitersTooMany -

Anyone with a brain knows that Conor is doing and saying all these wacky things to make money. Anyone who takes it personally isn’t emotionally intelligent, and doesn’t realize the only reason they are getting paid is because he’s doing it. He had just enough skill and just enough luck to do it long enough to become a superstar. 

Connor Nuthuggers takes it a lot more personal than anyone else. 

You all try to act and talk like him. Worship everything that he says like a cult. And accepts all the lines that he crosses. If that was reverse, and some say shit about him, you all fume in the mouth and go nuts just like what you guys are doing now over this article.

The article is from someone’s point of view that has a lot of truth to it, but it’s clear that you guys can’t handle the truth.

I can’t stand Conor...the article is still shit. 

10 days ago
7/12/12
You may not like Elias' article but don't question his writing skills or resume, the man is a pro.

The "pile-on" mentality is just silly here.

10 days ago
7/12/12
My bad Elias did put his article hours ago on twitter and got positive feedback.
10 days ago
3/5/15
DanWilliamson - My bad Elias did put his article hours ago on twitter and got positive feedback.

Probably because the only people stupid enough to follow his twitter are also stupid enough to like the article. 

10 days ago
11/1/03

I think op had some pretty solid points. I think he misses the point that Conor is just talking shit to build up the fight. I doubt he has any ill will for Kabib or his team. The danger of this is others take it seriously. He goes over the line especially when he insults family. Kabib overreacted, words don't excuse a criminal attact. But i can understand Kabibs reaction. If somebody called your wife/gf a whore what would you do? Try going to a getto and yelling the N word. What would happen? Plus Conor has a history of causing trouble and Kabib does not. 

10 days ago
7/12/12
I tweeted his article and said it was interesting, I will not criticize Elias, he is a professional and in my mind a very solid writer.
10 days ago
8/20/15
Mark Krumrine -

Dude sold the fight, took his lumps and will go back and hone his craft. He will improve, which is more than I can say for this shit bag “journalist”. I used to love this site now I pop in and out and almost every time this chucklehead has a shit article that gets stickied and plastered everywhere. Sad.....

Its possible, maybe he develops Liddell like td defense...he should bring in Liddell and Hackleman actually

10 days ago
12/28/04

LOL @ religion and even BIGGER LOL @ Islam. 

10 days ago
7/12/12
Frig Off Lahey - 
DanWilliamson - My bad Elias did put his article hours ago on twitter and got positive feedback.

Probably because the only people stupid enough to follow his twitter are also stupid enough to like the article. 

Jesus the negativity here is unbelievable. I bet Elias is laughing at it. Go on with your bad self Elias, you are a crackerjack writer IMO.

So there are no misunderstandings:

crackerjack
someone very skilled or proficient

John was a crackerjack of a mechanic: he could make a Mustang hum going in reverse.
10 days ago
8/2/05

This is everything wrong with  current media.

Biased narrative making drivel with no factual base and a politcal agenda.

I didnt care who won that fight just for the record.