UnderGround Forums Conor McGregor makes GOAT arguments

Edited: 10 days ago
7/2/09
The Lion King -

If you look at the true definition of p4p then Conor is without a doubt the GOAT. 

1. Conor

2. GSP

3. Anderson Silva

4. Jon Jones (will move up if he fights HW)

5. Fedor

6. BJ Penn

7. Jose Aldo

8. Mighty Mouse

9. Randy Couture 

10. Dan Henderson

Honorable mentions: Matt Hughes, Henry Cejudo, DC, Nogueira, Khabib, Frankie Edgar, Max Holloway, Sakuraba

"true definition"

According to Chael this is "skill independent of weight".  So if you took a 205lb version of MM's skills and matched it up against Jones, who wins?... and vice versa, if you took Jones down to 125lb and matched him with MM.

So according to the definition, I don't know how you split hairs about most talent.  And if we're sticking to the "true definition", maybe we should start calling it "most talented guy" instead of GOAT.

That top 5 is a supreme amount of talent.  No one argues against Conor's striking talent and decent ground skills.  If we're talking talent, I don't know how to separate that top 5.  They're all #1 as far as I'm concerned, based on talent.

But based on talent AND wins, lack of steroids, mentality/personality, in that order... my list is:

1. GSP

2. Anderson and Jones

3. Fedor

4. Khabib

5. Conor

Please note that Conor would be a clear #2 if he was more active and racked up a few more wins.  Also note that I wouldn't be able to distinguish between GSP, Anderson and Jones if the latter two had avoided steroids. 

Khabib could end up being the ultimate #1 if he can keep winning.  I hate to say it though, I think he's done because of his pops.  Saying that's a shitty situation is a disrespectful understatement, but you get me.

Edit half a day later: just realized Chael's definition was P4P, not GOAT.  Yeah well I'm a retard.  Shit I said was still true.

10 days ago
2/28/12

Goat Moneymaker & Shittalker = yes

Goat Fighter = oh hellz naw

10 days ago
4/26/13

“I’ve snored multiple juice heads” is the GOAT sentence in MMA history.  Fighting doesn’t matter anymore 

10 days ago
7/2/09

What's interesting is that GSP could REALLY CEMENT his position as GOAT if he could come back and take out Conor and Khabib.  Accomplishment wise, it wouldn't be close, plus he'd be taking out two of the other top-5 contenders for GOAT (leaving just himself and two steroid abusers).

10 days ago
7/2/09

The UFC doesn't want us to resolve this situation once and for all, though.  They know that GSP would come back and raw-dog two of their money makers, Khabib and Conor.  Not only that, Dana would have a fucking stroke if his arch-nemesis GSP was the clear #1 guy.

10 days ago
7/2/09

The real question for Conor is this: why isn't he calling out GSP?  It's one of the two biggest fights in MMA right now.  It's a fresh fight for him.  Tony's out of the picture.  Khabib already raw-dogged him and would do so again.  So the only real fight for him is against the GOAT.

If he could pull off the win over GSP, that would shake shit up big time.  He could fight anyone he wants after that and would have a serious argument for #1 or #2.  Right now, his lack of fights puts him at the bottom of that top 5.

10 days ago
7/2/09

Time for Conor to put up or shut up.  No more Cowboy fights.

10 days ago
3/12/15
DaddyRich -

Can't be on GOAT list without a single title defense. PERIOD. 

Title defenses are arbitrary and meaningless. The UFC could give Justin Bieber a title shot right now because there is no set criteria for how a title shot is earned.

Would you be more impressed if Khabib defended his title against Justin Bieber or if he moved up to heavyweight and defeated Francis Ngannou in a non-title fight?

Exactly. It matters WHO you beat not WHAT arbitrary promotional belt was on the line when you beat them. 

10 days ago
3/12/15
jgiveshead -

No more fights against future hall of famers with the most wins in UFC history? 

10 days ago
7/2/09
On a SideNote -

I have three tied at #1 and three at #2

#1: Jon Jones, Fedor, Conor

I honestly think Jones is the greatest of all time but PED taints his run.

Fedor's run is unmatched but lesser competition.

Conor has an incredible run and backs up much of what he says.

# 2:  Anderson Silva, GSP, Mighty Mouse

I agree Bones would be clear #1 if it weren't for the steroids.  He took out VERY SCARY dudes and made it look easy.  His savage destruction of Shogun was shocking and brutal.  I've never seen a bad dude beaten like that.

10 days ago
7/2/09
The Lion King -
jgiveshead -

Cowboy and Hendo are legends no doubt.  But stop pretending Cowboy is some kind of current contender.  If he's a current contender, then so is Hendo.  Let's give them both title shots.

10 days ago
7/2/09
jgiveshead -
The Lion King -
jgiveshead -

Cowboy and Hendo are legends no doubt.  But stop pretending Cowboy is some kind of current contender.  If he's a current contender, then so is Hendo.  Let's give them both title shots.

Lion King, we're talking about GOAT status here.  Does fighting Cowboy put Conor closer to the top in GOAT discussions?  Don't be ridiculous.  It was a showcase fight.  Everyone knows that.  I enjoyed watching it.  I'd watch it again.  But it doesn't do anything for GOAT discussion.

Answer the question: why doesn't Conor call out GSP?  He could make 100 million on that fight and we both know it.

10 days ago
11/9/15

I still gotta put Anderson number one. He wasn't scared to fight anyone and no one has put on displays like that before or since. After number 1 nothing else matters.

10 days ago
6/9/16
jgiveshead -

What's interesting is that GSP could REALLY CEMENT his position as GOAT if he could come back and take out Conor and Khabib.  Accomplishment wise, it wouldn't be close, plus he'd be taking out two of the other top-5 contenders for GOAT (leaving just himself and two steroid abusers).

100%

10 days ago
6/9/16
jgiveshead -

The UFC doesn't want us to resolve this situation once and for all, though.  They know that GSP would come back and raw-dog two of their money makers, Khabib and Conor.  Not only that, Dana would have a fucking stroke if his arch-nemesis GSP was the clear #1 guy.

Also 100%

10 days ago
2/18/20
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

You're an idiot. Conor has ZERO title defenses. You are never truly the champ until you defend the beld. In conclusion, McTapper was never, ever a true champion. He's definitely a good fighter, but has loads to prove before joining the GOAT discussion. Let's see him demolish Khabib in the rematch the way GSP demolished Serra in theirs. Then we can start talking (and he still won't make the top 5). 

I laugh when people say "the champ never defended his belt so he isn't a real champ".  That may be the stupidest quote ever attributed to anyone.

It's like saying you aren't a true Super Bowl champ unless you defend the following year.

See how that works.

10 days ago
2/18/20
On a SideNote - 
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

You're an idiot. Conor has ZERO title defenses. You are never truly the champ until you defend the beld. In conclusion, McTapper was never, ever a true champion. He's definitely a good fighter, but has loads to prove before joining the GOAT discussion. Let's see him demolish Khabib in the rematch the way GSP demolished Serra in theirs. Then we can start talking (and he still won't make the top 5). 

I laugh when people say "the champ never defended his belt so he isn't a real champ".  That may be the stupidest quote ever attributed to anyone.

It's like saying you aren't a true Super Bowl champ unless you defend the following year.

See how that works.

And on top of all this...it's a quote from a female tennis player.  Nothing to do with combat sports.  

10 days ago
6/3/11

I could name 20 fighters with better resumes than Conor 

10 days ago
7/2/09
mix headroom -

I still gotta put Anderson number one. He wasn't scared to fight anyone and no one has put on displays like that before or since. After number 1 nothing else matters.

I've had mixed feelings about Anderson for years.  But then yesterday I saw an image of him with the RNC over Hendo, full body lock and thought "that is a scary fucking dude"... it all kind of sunk in at once.  Who the FUCK chokes out Dan Henderson like that?  Who the fuck even puts Dan Henderson in that position? 

10 days ago
7/2/09
SkinnyJeanGenie -

I could name 20 fighters with better resumes than Conor 

It's Saturday afternoon and we're stuck in lockdown with our dicks in our hands.  Give us the list homeboy, lol.

10 days ago
7/2/09
On a SideNote -
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

See how that works.

There's a real problem with Conor not defending.  It's the same reason Khabib isn't the obvious choice for #1.  Neither of them fight enough.  Instead of lining up bitches to gain ground on #1 GOAT status, Conor's sitting on fucking TWITTER talking about other guys who have more fights than himself.  Weird.  Why not just call out GSP like a boss?

Because GSP would donkey kong him.  GSP is Khabib's bigger more talented brother.

10 days ago
7/2/09

GSP and Conor could fight at 155 OR 170.  Conor could literally pick! 

10 days ago
10/16/16

Maybe he's that goat?
10 days ago
7/2/09

And for that matter, there's no reason for Jon Jones to be arguing with a lightweight on TWITTER when he could claim #1 with one boss move: step up to HW.  Stop bitching about the reasons not to and just make it happen.  But add that to my list of shit that will never happen because Bones is a narcissist who is already convinced that he's #1.

10 days ago
6/9/16
On a SideNote -
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

See how that works.

Boxing and MMA is a much better comparison than MMA and football.

Tell us who the GOAT boxer is and whether he ever defended his championship belt.