UnderGround Forums Conor McGregor makes GOAT arguments

5/23/20 2:45 PM
7/2/09
FG_Gall -

Maybe he's that goat?

How long do you think it took them to eat that fucking goat.  There's literally a table and chair in the photo.  Part of me is envious of these savages that grow up in third world shitholes.  Wrestle and fight all day long.  Sun goes down, they literally kill a goat with their bare hands and eat it around the bonfire.  It's a look in the mirror.

5/23/20 2:53 PM
10/16/16
jgiveshead -
FG_Gall -

Maybe he's that goat?

How long do you think it took them to eat that fucking goat.  There's literally a table and chair in the photo.  Part of me is envious of these savages that grow up in third world shitholes.  Wrestle and fight all day long.  Sun goes down, they literally kill a goat with their bare hands and eat it around the bonfire.  It's a look in the mirror.

Haha. I never noticed the table before...

5/23/20 3:09 PM
9/17/11

Uh....no.....Number of title defenses including Cage Warriors...... 0

5/23/20 3:17 PM
7/2/09

I'm not so bothered by lack of title defenses.  He could have hung around and cleaned up the scrubs, sort of like what Jones is doing.  Instead, Conor moved on to the next big challenge.  I can't fault the guy for that.  But there's got to be more.  The resume has to be longer against scary dudes.  While Cowboy was a fun showcase fight, it was just busy work.  Let's see the guy take a few more challenges. 

For example, he could call out GSP.  If he talked mad shit about GSP and hyped the fight, do you not think the UFC would make that fight?  But on that topic, Conor is strangely/not-so-strangely silent.

5/23/20 3:25 PM
4/2/18

Absolute nonsense! However he is p4p No1 at marketing himself. 

5/23/20 3:28 PM
12/7/14

Wow I thought Connors list was bad until I saw kiriks 

5/23/20 3:37 PM
12/26/19
Tomato Can - Dude is 2-1 in title fights and got his ass beat by Nate Diaz. He is not even in the top 20.

That's even being generous. McGregor isn't even top 50 if we're talking greatest fighter of all time. He's right around German de Randamie territory. Won a title, never defended it, and was stripped for refusing to defend. They're actually very similar.

5/23/20 3:38 PM
1/1/01
Conor could've been the GOAT, but he's not even in the conversation at this point. He's won 1 fight against Cowboy in the last 2 years.
5/23/20 3:39 PM
11/2/12
MarcusAurelioFan -

Jon Jones is the best ever

He defeated a murderers row of the best LHW names ever.

I did wish he had fought Henderson, as I feel it could've been a close fight..

They grappled , Jon ran through him .

5/23/20 3:44 PM
7/2/09
KhabibWinsTheRematch -
Tomato Can - Dude is 2-1 in title fights and got his ass beat by Nate Diaz. He is not even in the top 20.

That's even being generous. McGregor isn't even top 50 if we're talking greatest fighter of all time. He's right around German de Randamie territory. Won a title, never defended it, and was stripped for refusing to defend. They're actually very similar.

"KhabibWinsTheRematch"

"Germaine DeRandemie territory"

ROFL.  I'd say you've got a horse in the race, but I'm not sure you have any horses that aren't in that race.

5/23/20 3:48 PM
7/2/09
Pulala - Conor could've been the GOAT, but he's not even in the conversation at this point. He's won 1 fight against Cowboy in the last 2 years.

This.

If I'm ignoring all of the legal trouble and personal issues, then being charitable I assume Conor's been working on his wrestling the last couple years, with the occasional Cowboy fight to keep the ring rust off.

I just hope it works out for him.  I don't know anyone that "learned to wrestle" only after being defeated by a wrestler's wrestling.  Too late.  But who knows.  Conor's a special talent.  I'd rather see him be the #1 GOAT than Khabib who celebrates Ramadan 10 months every year.

5/23/20 4:20 PM
2/28/12
The Lion King - 
DaddyRich -

Can't be on GOAT list without a single title defense. PERIOD. 

Title defenses are arbitrary and meaningless. The UFC could give Justin Bieber a title shot right now because there is no set criteria for how a title shot is earned.

Would you be more impressed if Khabib defended his title against Justin Bieber or if he moved up to heavyweight and defeated Francis Ngannou in a non-title fight?

Exactly. It matters WHO you beat not WHAT arbitrary promotional belt was on the line when you beat them. 

You have zero standards in life.
5/23/20 4:22 PM
2/18/20
Taco Muncher - 
On a SideNote -
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

I have three tied at #1 and three at #2

#1: Jon Jones, Fedor, Conor

I honestly think Jones is the greatest of all time but PED taints his run.

Fedor's run is unmatched but lesser competition.

Conor has an incredible run and backs up much of what he says.

# 2:  Anderson Silva, GSP, Mighty Mouse

You're an idiot. Conor has ZERO title defenses. You are never truly the champ until you defend the beld. In conclusion, McTapper was never, ever a true champion. He's definitely a good fighter, but has loads to prove before joining the GOAT discussion. Let's see him demolish Khabib in the rematch the way GSP demolished Serra in theirs. Then we can start talking (and he still won't make the top 5). 

I laugh when people say "the champ never defended his belt so he isn't a real champ".  That may be the stupidest quote ever attributed to anyone.

It's like saying you aren't a true Super Bowl champ unless you defend the following year.

See how that works.

Boxing and MMA is a much better comparison than MMA and football.

Tell us who the GOAT boxer is and whether he ever defended his championship belt. 

What's the difference in the sport.  A Champ has to defend right??? 

No, I didn't think so either.  Doesn't make sense does it?

You realize that quote came from a female tennis player not a combat sports athlete.

Everyone thinks Ali said that quote but it was Althea Gibson.

If you win the title, you are the Champ.  Plain and simple.

5/23/20 4:30 PM
6/9/16
On a SideNote -
Taco Muncher - 
On a SideNote -
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

You're an idiot. Conor has ZERO title defenses. You are never truly the champ until you defend the beld. In conclusion, McTapper was never, ever a true champion. He's definitely a good fighter, but has loads to prove before joining the GOAT discussion. Let's see him demolish Khabib in the rematch the way GSP demolished Serra in theirs. Then we can start talking (and he still won't make the top 5). 

I laugh when people say "the champ never defended his belt so he isn't a real champ".  That may be the stupidest quote ever attributed to anyone.

It's like saying you aren't a true Super Bowl champ unless you defend the following year.

See how that works.

Tell us who the GOAT boxer is and whether he ever defended his championship belt. 

You realize that quote came from a female tennis player not a combat sports athlete.

Big difference between individual sports and team sports. Key players on teams can change from one season to the next. A boxer or a mixed martial artist gets into the ring/cage alone. So, yeah, there's a huge difference.

5/23/20 4:42 PM
12/26/14
The Lion King -

Conor is so good that his haters get mad at the UFC for giving him “easy fights” against future hall of famers lol

He lost to Nate Diaz. LOL

5/23/20 4:46 PM
12/9/12
On a SideNote -
On a SideNote - 
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

See how that works.

And on top of all this...it's a quote from a female tennis player.  Nothing to do with combat sports.  

So why did you bring up football? Idiot! McTapper does not (yet) belong in any GOAT discussion, and that's simply the way it is. As someone pointed out, he is 2-1 in champ fights (3 in total, since the math is a bit heavy), and pretty much anyone else in discussion has north of 10... So your little leprechaun still has some hills to climb, which he will never complete. 

5/23/20 4:49 PM
7/2/09
On a SideNote -
Taco Muncher - 
On a SideNote -
MMAfan1million - 
On a SideNote -

See how that works.

That sounds like good logic but don't forget, what people believe defines reality here.  If most people think you've got to defend it, boom, it's true.  What I really want to see is Conor and Khabib both fight more often.

For years I thought it was the fighters who prefer to fight once per year, but I'm not so sure anymore.  I think the UFC has a fixed number of slots and a budget, both of which can be big hold ups, and the UFC being a shitty promoter, never misses a chance to blame the fighters when they are at least half to blame.

Still I wish they'd drop everything and do GSP vs Conor, GSP vs Khabib.  These are the two biggest fights in the sport BY FAR.  Dana, looking at you buddy.  Make this shit happen.  Nobody needs another Fedor vs Couture on their record.

5/23/20 4:50 PM
10/8/07

Conor thinking he's in the conversation is funny.

5/23/20 4:52 PM
11/9/15

Can't be a goat if you can't beat the best at your weight. If he stayed at 145 and cleaned out that division there would be an argument.

5/23/20 4:53 PM
1/15/13

Edited: 5/23/20 4:55 PM
2/17/03

In no world can Conor ever be above Daniel Cormier.

5/23/20 5:02 PM
10/6/02
PFP Conor is #1

5/23/20 5:09 PM
1/9/20

Just like guys should be able to pick their own nicknames.... GOAT status isn't determined by the person themselves. What makes fedora, Silva and gsp so great was not only their skill but the way they carried themselves outside the ring (Silva was questionable over last few years) Humble and never backing away from challenges. Conor is desperate for attention and although hes got skills hes avoided title defenses. He doesnt offer rematches and he whines like a little bitch trying for his own redemption. Conor is a plague on mma. Ran from justin until he sees a title. Then if he won he'd retire. 

Edited: 5/23/20 5:30 PM
11/24/13

I define GOAT very differently than most people here. I define it to mean how great a height their skill and fighting ability reached in the peak of their prime... as opposed to defining "GOAT" in terms of legacy and nostalgia like most of you do. Most people's list are not GOAT lists, but are "Most influential/seminal fighter of all time", or "MIFOAT".

For me, when I think of GOAT, if I could pick any moment in time where you could somehow measure the pure fighting ability of a given fighter in the peak of their prime quantitatively. Like a Dragon Ball Z power level, who would be at the top? My guess:

1. Anderson
2. Fedor
3. Liddell (in his prime he would have beat any version of Jones).
4. Usman
5. Khabib

GSP doesn't make the list because Khabib and Usman would beat any version of GSP. I largely agree with Conor's assessment here. He lost to Hendricks, Serra, and Hughes, and played it safe.

However, Conor might not even make a top 15, lol. Zero title defenses, hasn't won a fight since 2016 if you rule out Cowboy fainting like a GOAT on live TV.

5/23/20 5:10 PM
9/22/11

Hes trolling.....even he doesnt believe he is in the goat picture.

And obviously without IV's he would never recover from a drop to 145.

Hes fought 2 at the time goat candidates and he quit in one of those fights.

Not sure who the goat is but l know who it isnt and thats conor McGregor .