UnderGround Forums Conor: No one cares about fighters post retirement

2/25/20 9:26 PM
1/1/01

Former UFC champ champ Conor McGregor spoke recently with The Mac Life about life after fighting in professional mixed martial arts. "Notorious" didn't wait until after retirement to pursue opportunities like real estate, whiskey, and apparel, but rather have leveraged his fame to create massive success simultaneously with fighting.

“Athletic life is short right? As cruel as it sounds no one really cares about the athlete post-career," said McGregor, as transcribed by Jordan Ellis for Low Kick MMA. "I mean it’s as simple as that. And that’s not just fighting it's in any sport. So, I have studied many athletes’ careers both in combat sport and in professional sport and just analyzed it. I saw the do’s and the don’t and things that can create an afterlife in the game.

"For, me I’ve just gone down things I’m passionate about. I went down the fight game because I’m passionate about it – I wouldn’t have reached the levels I’ve reached in the fight game without having passion for it. And the whiskey game, the fashion game you know.”

“It’s all about finding what you love and figuring out how to make a living out of it. That’s what I’ve done. Not only have I done it once I’ve done it four or five times over with other things. So, I’m very, very happy and I’m very blessed.”

Edited: 2/25/20 9:30 PM
10/17/13
Train MMA and get into LE or a career that has benefits.
2/25/20 10:20 PM
8/4/10

Yeah nobody cares about mantle, Byrd, magic, Ali, Tyson, Earnhardt, the list goes on in many sports...those are marketable names still.

He could make that list, definitely has the tools to do it, but multitasking will only take away from mma..focus entirely on mma and he would be the goat quite possibly. Although I do completely understand what he's saying and doing, its working out for him, in my opinion he should focus on fighting the tough fights/defend titles and when he's made it to the absolute too there will be plenty of money to still be made.

Edited: 2/25/20 10:38 PM
2/15/06
Pennviachoke - 

Yeah nobody cares about mantle, Byrd, magic, Ali, Tyson, Earnhardt, the list goes on in many sports...those are marketable names still.

He could make that list, definitely has the tools to do it, but multitasking will only take away from mma..focus entirely on mma and he would be the goat quite possibly. Although I do completely understand what he's saying and doing, its working out for him, in my opinion he should focus on fighting the tough fights/defend titles and when he's made it to the absolute too there will be plenty of money to still be made.

*Bird
2/25/20 10:54 PM
7/7/16
Pennviachoke -

Shut up ya dipshit. 

2/25/20 11:01 PM
1/1/01
Pennviachoke - 

Given the number of boxing stars who die broke, what works for Michael Jordan is not so much for combat sports. Joe Frazier died living in his gf's apartment. Foreman is a huge exception, but it's not pretty.

2/25/20 11:06 PM
1/1/01

There are certainly exceptions, but in general, he's right. It is a whole area of study because the frequency of pro athletes, even highly successful ones who are broke within a decade of retiring.

A large part is an unsustainable life>

And being taken by financial agents who outright rob them,

Extensive medical bills for surgeries and physical rehab for bodies that were ground down to eke out just that bit of greater performance

These first two, both reflect a lack of financial savvy and the mono focus/drive they had all their lives to excel physically and make it to the pros, not worrying what comes after

But also a lack of opportunities for most.

It is bad enough that the leagues are working to deliver financial planning/training for athletes to better manage/inest/protect their earnings. A friend of mine has been recruited by one of the big three leagues to help create a set of tools for the players to use.Too many end up near destitute after their days playing. There are exceptions, but even conor is no ali. He'll have a regional name, but he won't be an international icon. Good for him to look after himself and plan for his future, and why shouldn't he?

2/25/20 11:32 PM
9/20/19

Couture and BJ were gods at one point, outside of oldschooo hardcores they’re definitely not remembered as legends in the modern collective mma opinion.  

2/25/20 11:37 PM
7/25/12
HillboFrateTrane -

Couture and BJ were gods at one point, outside of oldschooo hardcores they’re definitely not remembered as legends in the modern collective mma opinion.  

Very sad but true!

2/25/20 11:44 PM
3/21/12
HillboFrateTrane - 

If I saw BJ out at a bar I'd buy him a moderately priced drink. That counts for something
2/26/20 12:57 AM
1/1/01
This is true for MMA, but in real sports retired athletes are beloved and have plenty of opportunities.
2/26/20 1:43 AM
11/24/13
TzTinkle - 
HillboFrateTrane - 

If I saw BJ out at a bar I'd buy him a moderately priced drink. That counts for something

You'd probably have to knock him out shortly after. 

2/26/20 2:41 AM
9/26/10
HillboFrateTrane -

really? we're gonna bring up those 2? they've both embarrassed themselves pretty badly in their retirement. in fact, bj was so bad it actually his forced him into retirement earlier than he planned. 

BJ would still have fans lined up around the block to blow him if he hadn't turned into such a mess. 

And then there's Randy LITERALLY jacking himself off on some sort of chaturbate site. WTF. is this real life? 

2/26/20 4:16 AM
1/24/16
Pennviachoke -

4 out of the 7 I have never heard of 

2/26/20 9:24 AM
8/4/10
dizzro88 -
Pennviachoke -

Shut up ya dipshit. 

Oh the ironing

2/26/20 9:24 AM
8/4/10
dinkledorf -
Pennviachoke -

4 out of the 7 I have never heard of 

That seems impossible to me

2/26/20 9:35 AM
1/1/01
Pulala - This is true for MMA, but in real sports retired athletes are beloved and have plenty of opportunities.

Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78 percent of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement and 60 percent of National Basketball Association players are broke within five years of leaving the sport.

2/26/20 8:45 PM
7/10/02
Kirik - 
Pulala - This is true for MMA, but in real sports retired athletes are beloved and have plenty of opportunities.

Sports Illustrated once estimated that 78 percent of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement and 60 percent of National Basketball Association players are broke within five years of leaving the sport.

Yeah but let's not sugarcoat this: it's because they're dumb as shit with money. They spend it all during their careers, and it so happens your pro sport career is super short for 98% of them. Not like it's a secret!

Conor is right that nobody cares. But nobody cares about most men either (only women and kids) and for the most part these men never tasted fame or big bucks. So, take care of yourselves! Common sense.

I mean, a dude like Gronkowski is not exactly renowned for his immense brain power ha ha, yet he has handled his money super well AND partied a lot too.

Probably not in MMA, but in the NFL, NHL, etc. the athletes, as rookies, get financial advice and are made aware of the pitfalls, sharks and profiteers. In any case, with the media and the WEB, how can anyone be clueless these days? No excuse.
Edited: 2/26/20 10:21 PM
9/20/19
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Kirik - 

Yeah but let's not sugarcoat this: it's because they're dumb as shit with money. They spend it all during their careers, and it so happens your pro sport career is super short for 98% of them. Not like it's a secret!

Conor is right that nobody cares. But nobody cares about most men either (only women and kids) and for the most part these men never tasted fame or big bucks. So, take care of yourselves! Common sense.

I mean, a dude like Gronkowski is not exactly renowned for his immense brain power ha ha, yet he has handled his money super well AND partied a lot too.

Probably not in MMA, but in the NFL, NHL, etc. the athletes, as rookies, get financial advice and are made aware of the pitfalls, sharks and profiteers. In any case, with the media and the WEB, how can anyone be clueless these days? No excuse.

Yeah, but gronk came from a supportive family of people who obviously made good financial decisions. A bit different than a guy who grew up in the hood with a single mother who couldn’t afford Christmas presents. That person is going to have a way harder time making wise choices financially when piles of money start falling in their lap. 

2/26/20 10:27 PM
8/28/14

Fighters have a lot to learn from Floyd Mayweather. Get in, don’t get hit and make tons of money. Fuck the fans. 

2/26/20 10:56 PM
1/1/01
HillboFrateTrane - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Kirik - 

Yeah, but gronk came from a supportive family of people who obviously made good financial decisions. A bit different than a guy who grew up in the hood with a single mother who couldn’t afford Christmas presents. That person is going to have a way harder time making wise choices financially when piles of money start falling in their lap. 

Definitely this. Gronk's family is middle-class/upper-middle-class. His dad is a businessman/owner so I would assume his family isn't clueless.

Becoming a professional athlete is very much like winning the lottery. When you get poor people winning the lottery, the money just amplifies the reason they were poor in the first place. They get to live large for a few years, then it's back to the poorhouse.
Edited: 2/27/20 4:27 AM
4/11/10

So much bullshit. I don’t know how anyone can listen to him

2/27/20 8:58 AM
8/20/03
Kirik -
Pennviachoke - 

Given the number of boxing stars who die broke, what works for Michael Jordan is not so much for combat sports. Joe Frazier died living in his gf's apartment. Foreman is a huge exception, but it's not pretty.

I believe that Sugar Ray Leonard's management company requires that a portion of a boxer's purse be put into a retirement vehicle as part of the management agreement. 

This is so that there should be something for the boxer when they retire. 

He saw too many guys retire with nothing.

I like the idea and think that more management companies should include something like this.

2/27/20 9:00 AM
8/20/03
Kirik -

I remember when the NBA was on strike there were guys playing pick up games for cash because they spent their money as fast as they were getting it.

2/27/20 9:42 AM
7/10/02
HillboFrateTrane - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -
Kirik - 

True, but still, NO EXCUSES. Stop pitying these poor hood folks. That's just condescending. Some rappers and athletes have done really well with money outside music and sports, and they came from the hood too.

Unlike lottery winners, athletes are surrounded with good advice if they would only listen, have lots of models AND bad examples to learn from, yet decide to spend it all like dumbasses. Again, they KNOW the money they make is just for a few years, no surprises here.

Just by investing 30% of it and buying into sound real estate, they could party HARD and live a grand life style yet still have lots of money to show for it. They earn more in a year than most people in their lifetime yet manage to lose it all? NO EXCUSES, period.