UnderGround Forums Costa trained with who ..?!?

9/28/20 10:22 PM
9/27/15
In preparation for Izzy? I do remember reading a month before the fight that Costa flew out Henry Cejudo. This to me makes no sense. He's fighting a very tall, super fast technical kickboxer so he brings in a very short elite wrestler?!? Umm ...

Btw what camp does Costa train with? I miss the teams of Brazilian killers and bjj elites that used to be in Mma. Has Mma kind of died down in Brazil?
9/29/20 1:29 AM
8/6/08

He trained with some tall lanky strikers. The problem was the gamelan. 

9/29/20 3:15 AM
1/1/01

He dpubtless had a game plan, I think. Problem maybe was executing it.

9/29/20 3:19 AM
3/7/20
gokudamus -

He trained with some tall lanky strikers. The problem was the gamelan. 

The problem is also finding anyone who can recreate Izzy's and traps he sets 

Edited: 9/29/20 8:03 AM
1/1/01
ons ear - In preparation for Izzy? I do remember reading a month before the fight that Costa flew out Henry Cejudo. This to me makes no sense. He's fighting a very tall, super fast technical kickboxer so he brings in a very short elite wrestler?!? Umm ...

Btw what camp does Costa train with? I miss the teams of Brazilian killers and bjj elites that used to be in Mma. Has Mma kind of died down in Brazil?

You got a screw loose if you think they flew out Cejudo for sparring with Costa. Cejudo likely went with Coach Albaraccin and Cejudo was sparring with Patricio Pitbull (who fights in Nov) and maybe doing some techniqual instruction alongside Albaraccin for Costa in the wrestling department. The Pitbull brothers team has an elite karate coach who has played a major role in Cejudo and Particio winning their second titles and I'm sure he had plenty of kickboxers to work with Costa and they tried to mimic some of Adesanya's stuff in sparring

9/29/20 8:18 AM
9/20/19
Kirik -

He dpubtless had a game plan, I think. Problem maybe was executing it.

9/29/20 9:18 AM
6/5/12

Should have trained with Alex Pereira

9/29/20 9:56 AM
7/10/02

Maybe he outsmarted himself with the gameplan. Sometimes it's just better to let it loose, especially when you can tell it won't work.

Again, charging in he might have struck nothing but air, and get countered. But at least that way he had a chance! Surely better than standing from the outside against a taller more sneaky evasive fighter... WTF

9/29/20 10:38 AM
8/10/05
srld - 

Because Pereira beat Adesanya in a different sport over 3.5 years ago?

9/29/20 4:07 PM
9/27/15
BJ Penn Forever - 
ons ear - In preparation for Izzy? I do remember reading a month before the fight that Costa flew out Henry Cejudo. This to me makes no sense. He's fighting a very tall, super fast technical kickboxer so he brings in a very short elite wrestler?!? Umm ...

You got a screw loose if you think they flew out Cejudo for sparring with Costa. Cejudo likely went with Coach Albaraccin and Cejudo was sparring with Patricio Pitbull (who fights in Nov) and maybe doing some techniqual instruction alongside Albaraccin for Costa in the wrestling department. The Pitbull brothers team has an elite karate coach who has played a major role in Cejudo and Particio winning their second titles and I'm sure he had plenty of kickboxers to work with Costa and they tried to mimic some of Adesanya's stuff in sparring

Who?! Which kick boxers?

An elite karate coach? Hmm
Edited: 9/29/20 4:16 PM
11/8/08

If you just do a google search you would get answers to your questions and a bunch of his training videos leading up to the fight. Here is an article excerpt:The video covers the lives of the fighters leading up to the fight, and their training ahead of their big clash. Towards the end of the clip, it showed Costa's coach explaining that they were focusing on specific aspects of his opponent. To help with the same, they brought in athletes that matched Adesanya's reach and size.Paulo Costa brings in fighters to mimic the championThe video then showed some of his training partners who would try to mimic Israel Adesanya. Vanderlei 'Toquinho' a 26-year-old Muay Thai champion and Atila Megatron is a 29-year-old who is a boxing and Jiu-Jitsu champion.Both men were bought in to replicate Israel Adesanya's lanky physique. 'The Last stands at 6'4? and has an 80-inch reach. In contrast, Costa stands at 6'1? and has a 72-inch reach. Hence, the challenger will have an 8-inch disadvantage in reach against the champion

29 days ago
1/1/01
ons ear -
BJ Penn Forever - 

Who?! Which kick boxers?

Yep, an elite karate coach. Patricio, Albaraccin and Cejudo have all credited him with a lot of their recent success in interviews. The technique and timing both Patricio and Cejudo used to beat TJ and Chandler came from Santana. I don't know if Costa worked with him in this camp though.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/28/14697244/patricky-freire-karate-josh-thomson-bellator-michael-chandler

This is old:

Special thanks to one of the best coaches @manosantanakarateig for giving me a different perspective on MMA and helping...

Posted by
Henry Cejudo on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Henry Cejudo

October 17, 2017 ·

Special thanks to one of the best coaches @manosantanakarateig for giving me a different perspective on MMA and helping me understand the beautiful art of karate ??. I presented @manosantanakarateig with my UFC gloves that I fought in at #UFC218 today @pitbullbrothers #coach #karate #pitbullbrothers

29 days ago
2/10/20

Its increadible how well Gastelume did

29 days ago
10/25/06
youngestgrandpa - 

Its increadible how well Gastelume did

It's incredible how well Melvin Guillard did. I guess having a decent strategy going in helps. Standing at range with a guy who is faster than you, has a good amount of reach advantage, and better skills at range isn't a great strategy. Tackling Adesanya seems like it might have worked slightly better.

29 days ago
12/6/11
Ministry of Truth -
srld - 

Because Pereira beat Adesanya in a different sport over 3.5 years ago?

Yes. Its not like Israels game has changed. Sure, he has evolved his MMA skills but he will always be a striker

29 days ago
8/15/07
The ghost of Gandhi.
29 days ago
1/1/01

IMHO he was mentally broken before entering the octagon, i thought he was just marketing the fight with those funny videos but apparently he was actually believing the bs. When his trainer said he was going to fight at a slower pace i thought they were baiting Adesanya, but they were actually being serious... Costa only chance, even if not that great, was to fight as he always does, blitzing and covering up and not giving time to the opponent, he most likely will never be an elite striker... so standing on the outside against a much better and taller striker seems like a really dumb strategy that wouldnt work anyway.

29 days ago
4/22/20
BJ Penn Forever - 
ons ear -
BJ Penn Forever - 

Who?! Which kick boxers?

Yep, an elite karate coach. Patricio, Albaraccin and Cejudo have all credited him with a lot of their recent success in interviews. The technique and timing both Patricio and Cejudo used to beat TJ and Chandler came from Santana. I don't know if Costa worked with him in this camp though.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/28/14697244/patricky-freire-karate-josh-thomson-bellator-michael-chandler

This is old:

Special thanks to one of the best coaches @manosantanakarateig for giving me a different perspective on MMA and helping...

Posted by
Henry Cejudo on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Henry Cejudo

October 17, 2017 ·

Special thanks to one of the best coaches @manosantanakarateig for giving me a different perspective on MMA and helping me understand the beautiful art of karate ??. I presented @manosantanakarateig with my UFC gloves that I fought in at #UFC218 today @pitbullbrothers #coach #karate #pitbullbrothers

Yeah, can't really doubt Albarracin and their camp. 2 double champs one in the UFC and other at Bellator. And took both guys to greatness which I did not expect from them.

Only question might be if they are better equipped to train lower weights.
29 days ago
1/1/01

Paulo needed more spinning shit.

29 days ago
8/10/05
Floppy Divac - 

Paulo needed more spinning shit.

Maybe more Paula and less Paulo?

29 days ago
1/1/01
Li Mu Bai -

IMHO he was mentally broken before entering the octagon, i thought he was just marketing the fight with those funny videos but apparently he was actually believing the bs. When his trainer said he was going to fight at a slower pace i thought they were baiting Adesanya, but they were actually being serious... Costa only chance, even if not that great, was to fight as he always does, blitzing and covering up and not giving time to the opponent, he most likely will never be an elite striker... so standing on the outside against a much better and taller striker seems like a really dumb strategy that wouldnt work anyway.

Wallid said in a postfight interview that the strategy was to stay outside the first two rounds and then get very agressive in 3 as well as 4 and 5 if it went that long. Something along those lines.

29 days ago
8/14/12

Henry appeared in seemingly one video. I don’t think he “flew him out to train him” 

29 days ago
10/30/03
BJ Penn Forever -
Li Mu Bai -

Wallid said in a postfight interview that the strategy was to stay outside the first two rounds and then get very agressive in 3 as well as 4 and 5 if it went that long. Something along those lines.

Sounds like Costas game plan worked perfectly..

29 days ago
1/1/01
James Franco -
BJ Penn Forever -
Li Mu Bai -

Sounds like Costas game plan worked perfectly..

ATH on Twitter: "Who remembers this interview? The interview of Wallid Ismail vs Ryan Gracie https://t.co/vrhUezI378 https://t.co/BGBL9oC0vV"