UnderGround Forums Couture: If I'd waited 30 mins more ...

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
UFC Hall of Famer and Mixed Martial Arts Fighters Association spokesperson Randy Couture, 56, suffered a heart attack on October 23, walked himself to the hospital, successfully underwent surgery to remove a clot and insert a stent, and is back in the gym training. During an appearance thsi week on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show, "The Natural" discussed what happened, and what could have happened.

It began when he puked after a training session.

“I knew something wasn’t right, because I’ve never been a puker,” said Couture, as transcribed by Nolan King for MMA Junkie. “I went home and thought, ‘Ah, I just overdid it.’ (I) laid on the bed for five minutes or so, and this ache would just not go away. I said, ‘Man, something is wrong.'”

Then he walked to the ERl where doctors did an ECG and “all hell broke loose."

“They’re like, ‘Dude, you’re having a heart attack,” said Couture. “They rushed me right up stairs to the cath lab, went in through my wrist. My thick blood had created a giant clot in my main artery – the ‘widowmaker,’ of course. I had a plaque rupture and the blood goes like it would with any wound to heal that wound. My blood is so thick it created a clot that occluded the whole artery.”

“By Thursday morning, it had gone public. TMZ did a thing on it and all that. My phone just blew up. It was amazing – overwhelming, the outpouring of love. I don’t even know what to say about that. It was pretty unbelievable. I appreciate all my fans and all the people out there that reached out to me.”

“I was lucky I came in when I came in. If I had waited another 30 or 40 minutes, it would’ve been a different outcome … Any time something like that happens, it certainly gets your attention. … To have a heart attack was strange. It just chips away at your identity a little bit. Who you are. Who you thought you were. I’m certainly happy to be back, up, and running. I’m feeling a lot more normal. A lot more like myself.”

“I think I went eight or nine rounds sparring on Friday. I feel good – a little sore from working out and getting back in the groove. Other than that, I feel great.”
6 days ago
2/14/11

Has major heart attack late October, spars 8 or 9 rounds late November. 

Legend. 

6 days ago
7/4/09

Stone cold Legend

6 days ago
12/29/06

What's this about 'thick blood'. Too high a Hct from taking Test? Taking EPO? How does he know? That's a problem he should address, not get back in and do 8-9 rounds. He should also be on blood thinners, which is what they do after this kind of event. Not safe to spar.

6 days ago
6/6/02

"The natural"???? 

6 days ago
2/14/11
WidespreadPanic -

What's this about 'thick blood'. Too high a Hct from taking Test? Taking EPO? How does he know? That's a problem he should address, not get back in and do 8-9 rounds. He should also be on blood thinners, which is what they do after this kind of event. Not safe to spar.

Name checks out.

Relax, Randy is a man.

6 days ago
5/8/13
WidespreadPanic -

He said in another interview he is on blood thinners and should give blood regularly to help with it even tho they will throw the blood out because he was stationed in Germany in the 80’s (dunno why they is) But it’s controllable and all that he said 

6 days ago
5/8/13
Outlaw’d by Lytle -
WidespreadPanic -

Name checks out.

Relax, Randy is a man.

This.

6 days ago
7/11/12

I'm no expert by isn't thick blood a side effect of TRT?

Edited: 6 days ago
12/6/05
Oh, for sure he's on blood thinners and baby aspirin and probably also a beta blocker.

At MINIMUM you 100% have to be on a blood thinner for at least a year until the stint is acclimated into the body. Until then the body sees it as a foreign object and blood clots when hitting anything other than a natural part of your body. The stint is engulfed into the skin but that takes at least a year.

It best to take it forever but cases vary.

He is very lucky. Most don't survive a widow maker.
6 days ago
11/28/03

this is the hard way to get people to stop talking about your beat off video

6 days ago
11/20/09

Did he address why he WALKED to the hospital instead of having someone drive him, or drive himself?

6 days ago
2/14/11
D241 -

Did he address why he WALKED to the hospital instead of having someone drive him, or drive himself?

Can only assume he thought it was something insignificant and walked 

6 days ago
9/20/19
goldenboyart - Oh, for sure he's on blood thinners and baby aspirin and probably also a beta blocker.

At MINIMUM you 100% have to be on a blood thinner for at least a year until the stint is acclimated into the body. Until then the body sees it as a foreign object and blood clots when hitting anything other than a natural part of your body. The stint is engulfed into the skin but that takes at least a year.

It best to take it forever but cases vary.

He is very lucky. Most don't survive a widow maker.

I wonder if that’s how it got the name. 

6 days ago
5/25/06

Why's his blood so thick?......

6 days ago
7/6/06

Type 2 Myocardio Infraction from anabolic steroid use. It can cause hypercoagulability. Seems pretty textbook.

6 days ago
12/6/05
LiMbTwIsTeR - 

Type 2 Myocardio Infraction from anabolic steroid use. It can cause hypercoagulability. Seems pretty textbook.

This, absolutely has nothing to do with being stationed in Germany. That's laughable. Steroid heads make things up so they don't have to face reality.

If being stationed in Germany caused Heart Attacks there would me a whole lot more HA's out there.

Most steroid heads claim it's "genetics".

Everyone knows the truth here. It was because of using PED's.

Just hope he smartened up.
6 days ago
11/10/18
WidespreadPanic -

Absolutely from test  test and hgh. I can’t believe he wasn’t getting his blood checked before the heart attack. I mean, running gear at his age requires you stay on top of your bloodwork. He’s clearly a total dumbass.

6 days ago
7/15/04

Dont most guys on TRT donate blood so it doesn't thicken and cause this to happen?

6 days ago
11/10/18
TexDeuce -

Dont most guys on TRT donate blood so it doesn't thicken and cause this to happen?

You do if you’re smart. You usually take a baby aspirin as well and routinely see a physician to have bloodwork checked. 
Sounds like Randy was running gear like a guy in his 20’s on a tight budget. Kind of crazy.

6 days ago
11/1/03

I had 5 stents and was on blood thinners [Berlinta] for a year, my wife had 3 stents and doc said she stays on thinners for life. She had a heart attack and i didnt though. I had a stroke. Never realized trt could lead to blockage. Coture always seemed like a smart dude, suprised he didn't know this.

6 days ago
1/8/04
fanat - 

"The natural"???? 

Jon "Sober"Jones
5 days ago
1/1/01
ttt
5 days ago
8/31/10
Outlaw’d by Lytle -
WidespreadPanic -

Name checks out.

Relax, Randy is a man.

Lol!

5 days ago
1/1/01
goldenboyart -
LiMbTwIsTeR - 

This, absolutely has nothing to do with being stationed in Germany. That's laughable. Steroid heads make things up so they don't have to face reality.

If being stationed in Germany caused Heart Attacks there would me a whole lot more HA's out there.

Most steroid heads claim it's "genetics".

Everyone knows the truth here. It was because of using PED's.

Just hope he smartened up.

Chernobyl happened in the 80's.

They don't want his blood, because it might cause people to grow dicks on their forehead.