UnderGround Forums Couture: If I'd waited 30 mins more ...

10 days ago
1/1/01
Ghost of Retard - 
goldenboyart -
LiMbTwIsTeR - 

Type 2 Myocardio Infraction from anabolic steroid use. It can cause hypercoagulability. Seems pretty textbook.

This, absolutely has nothing to do with being stationed in Germany. That's laughable. Steroid heads make things up so they don't have to face reality.

If being stationed in Germany caused Heart Attacks there would me a whole lot more HA's out there.

Most steroid heads claim it's "genetics".

Everyone knows the truth here. It was because of using PED's.

Just hope he smartened up.

Chernobyl happened in the 80's.

They don't want his blood, because it might cause people to grow dicks on their forehead. 

LMAO!!!!!

Just spit my coffee out reading that.

So random...
10 days ago
7/20/04
Eskimo -
TexDeuce -

Dont most guys on TRT donate blood so it doesn't thicken and cause this to happen?

You do if you’re smart. You usually take a baby aspirin as well and routinely see a physician to have bloodwork checked. 
Sounds like Randy was running gear like a guy in his 20’s on a tight budget. Kind of crazy.

When you're  former UFC champ, you probably tend to see yourself as bulletproof. Even in your 50s....something for all of us meatheads to consider...

10 days ago
12/9/05

I can’t attest for Randy’s situation. But I was in the military from 2001-2005. And I was denied blood donating due to areas I was deployed too. I also worked in Iraq for a year as a civilian contractor and that too disqualified me. I haven’t tried to donate blood for a while so I don’t know if I’m still considered disqualified.  But not being able to donate blood due to being in certain areas during certain time frames is a legit thing. 

9 days ago
12/6/05
dawley - 

I can’t attest for Randy’s situation. But I was in the military from 2001-2005. And I was denied blood donating due to areas I was deployed too. I also worked in Iraq for a year as a civilian contractor and that too disqualified me. I haven’t tried to donate blood for a while so I don’t know if I’m still considered disqualified.  But not being able to donate blood due to being in certain areas during certain time frames is a legit thing. 

That has absolutely nothing to do with clotting and a heart attack.

Where you were stationed does NOT cause...
increased red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit which in turn can cause stroke and heart attacks.

Give me a damn break.
Edited: 9 days ago
12/9/05
goldenboyart -
dawley - 

increased red blood cell count, hemoglobin and hematocrit which in turn can cause stroke and heart attacks.

Give me a damn break.

I didn’t say anything about blood clotting. Or that it would or would not have anything to do with being located somewhere.  I simply stated that being stationed somewhere can disqualify you from blood donating.  

Give me some reading comprehension.  :-)

9 days ago
4/20/08
WidespreadPanic -

What's this about 'thick blood'. Too high a Hct from taking Test? Taking EPO? How does he know? That's a problem he should address, not get back in and do 8-9 rounds. He should also be on blood thinners, which is what they do after this kind of event. Not safe to spar.

Sleep apnea will do it as well, but of course, if he's on "TRT" or just blasting non therapuetic steroid doses, he needs to donate blood often, and probably does not. 

9 days ago
5/9/06
Eskimo - 
WidespreadPanic -

What's this about 'thick blood'. Too high a Hct from taking Test? Taking EPO? How does he know? That's a problem he should address, not get back in and do 8-9 rounds. He should also be on blood thinners, which is what they do after this kind of event. Not safe to spar.

Absolutely from test  test and hgh. I can’t believe he wasn’t getting his blood checked before the heart attack. I mean, running gear at his age requires you stay on top of your bloodwork. He’s clearly a total dumbass.

Could be a dumbass move, or could be just a careless mistake that he'll hopefully not repeat.  Its easy to forget or put off donating, doing your labs, etc....then you do a hard workout, dehydrate yourself and exascorbate something you thought was ok. 

I find it odd that in multiple interviews he's sort of casual about "my thick blood".  I'm 100% interpretating this, and realize I could be wrong, but imo he was trying to make it sounds like oh I was born with this thick blood ailment, when most people know he's probably just doing a lot of TRT and not taking care of himself.

8 days ago
7/10/02
I understand what he means by "to have a heart attack was strange. It just chips away at your identity a little bit. Who you are. Who you thought you were."

When someone is as in shape, you don't expect that. It always catches my attention. I mean, you know he's not exactly a fat ass since retiring when he "went eight or nine rounds sparring" so soon after an heart attack!
8 days ago
8/20/03
sgotwalks - 
Outlaw’d by Lytle -
WidespreadPanic -

Name checks out.

Relax, Randy is a man.

Lol!

LOL!

Edited: 8 days ago
9/19/13

It is incredibly strange that Couture would suffer a heartattack unless he was taking PEDs during his career.

In fact, at this point, PEDs are the only logical explination for his heartattack. People who are in vastly inferior shape still rarely have heart attacks at his age.

8 days ago
10/3/12

Frightening to think that a heart attack doesn’t necessarily manifest itself in pain right where the heart is. 

8 days ago
7/10/02
oranos - 

It is incredibly strange that Couture would suffer a heartattack unless he was taking PEDs during his career.

In fact, at this point, PEDs are the only logical explination for his heartattack. People who are in vastly inferior shape still rarely have heart attacks at his age.

I'll say this first: yes I believe he used PEDs. Probably still does. It's so much the norm for elite athletes, and back when he was competing there was zero and then little testing. So I'm not singling him out at all. Just not putting my head in the sand either,

But some really in shape people have heart attacks. Not just out of shape fatsos. My ex-father-in-law had 2 major operations in his 30s and two brothers of his died of heart attacks in their 30s. No, not near the level of fitness a guy like Couture has, but athletes too have died of heart attacks.

In my family, only one blood relative (by that I mean not by marriage) has died, at 55, from an heart attack. And he was the most active sports wise by a long ways of everyone in the family till I came along.

He was a Tour de France fanatic. Could he have been on something? Maybe but not likely. But he had like me a nasty volatile temper, was unmarried all these years yet 4 of his GFs showed up at his funeral, and from his will, we understood he did have a couple of sons with said GFs... Genetics, temper, mental outlook affect many things.

And of course Randy is in superior shape but he is still 56!

8 days ago
9/19/13
Sprawl'n'Stall -
oranos - 

I'll say this first: yes I believe he used PEDs. Probably still does. It's so much the norm for elite athletes, and back when he was competing there was zero and then little testing. So I'm not singling him out at all. Just not putting my head in the sand either,

But some really in shape people have heart attacks. Not just out of shape fatsos. My ex-father-in-law had 2 major operations in his 30s and two brothers of his died of heart attacks in their 30s. No, not near the level of fitness a guy like Couture has, but athletes too have died of heart attacks.

In my family, only one blood relative (by that I mean not by marriage) has died, at 55, from an heart attack. And he was the most active sports wise by a long ways of everyone in the family till I came along.

He was a Tour de France fanatic. Could he have been on something? Maybe but not likely. But he had like me a nasty volatile temper, was unmarried all these years yet 4 of his GFs showed up at his funeral, and from his will, we understood he did have a couple of sons with said GFs... Genetics, temper, mental outlook affect many things.

And of course Randy is in superior shape but he is still 56!

Of course he used them. I was being rhetorical. You have to be dumb to believe Randy didn't use PEDs. Just look at his body during his career. Anyway, I wish him well. Hopefully he doesn't suffer another one. I think maybe after the first one, it's like your chin. Once it starts to go, it goes.

8/2/11

Never forget- quote JeffersonDarceChoke

I forgot to tell everyone about the time I was in a bathroom with Randy Couture. 

This was a hotel in Atlantic City, NJ. It was me, Jason Aldean's drummer and I'm not sure who the other guy was. 

Randy was in a stall and based on the smell and the fact we could totally see through the crack (those doors offer no privacy and this was before Hiney Hider); he was taking a shit. 

So I'm washing my hands, we are talking about the concert and here comes Randy Couture out of the stall. 

He stands between us at the sink, looks at himself in the mirror and I figure he needs to get the soap and to wash up. 

Nope. 

Dude fixes his scarf and just walks out. 

Without. Washing. His. Hands. 

I've never told this story because I was so afraid no one would listen because this was back when nobody bashed the Body by Jake workout king. 

I hope you've never shook that man's hand. 

If so? You have your own reason to not like the fella. 

I'm so sorry but it needed to be told

8 days ago
9/26/10
goldenboyart -
dawley - 

Give me a damn break.

Randy didn't say that where he was stationed caused his heart attack. he said that is why he can't donate his blood. 

am is missing something here?

3/5/12

I had a widow maker at 43. It was seven months after I won the No Gi Pan. I was working out 4-6 days a week.                                                        It started as belching. Then I had a single crushing pain in the center of my chest and also a single shooting pain into my left shoulder.  I was in Philly for work and live on the Jersey shore.  I got dressed walked to the front desk and said I need to go to the hospital.  The guard asked what happened and I told him about the chest pains. He asked if I was having a heart attack and I said I have no idea but something isn’t right. They called the emt’s abd they were there in less than 2 minutes.  As they were talking the gurney out of the ambulance I walked out to them.  I am a big guy at 6’2 and 270. They were both small about 5’7 and 170 tops.  The smaller of the two looks up at me and says oh thank you as I climb in the ambulance.                                      They took me to hanneman hospital which I found out later was ranked in the top 25 in the world for cardiac care. I was even luckier because the head of cardiology was there making rounds.  It was surreal being rolled into the hospital. There are people all around you poking and prodding taking blood, pulse , blood pressure all while asking questions about you health and family history. They ask me if I want to call my wife and I said it’s nearly midnight not unless this is serious.  They get the blood tests and tell me I am actively having a heart attack while they are attending to me. I get whirled into a surgical room and the last thing I remember  after my 4th shot of morphine was breathing like my wife in lamas and apparently my eyes were closed and my legs were shaking. I hear some one say I need to sit still and tough this out. Apparently my leg was still shaking. The next thing I hear is “you’re going to fuck this up”. I open my eyes and have doctors face only inches from mine.  I remember grabbing the side of the table and then being rolled into an elevator after they put the stent in me and saying my wife was on the way and I will be ok. I had 100% blockage of the LAD artery better known as the widow maker.  It has a 95% mortality rate and you are usually dead within 10 minutes.  I was fortunate and had no damage to my heart due to doing BJJ so much the cardiologist told me that my heart developed additional capillaries to allow blood in the heart which kept the heart from dying and having significant scar tissue.  I fully understand what Randy is talking about and he is truly lucky to be alive and would probably not be here today if he waited to go to the hospital. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
billyball2 -
Ghost of Retard - 
goldenboyart -
LiMbTwIsTeR - 

Type 2 Myocardio Infraction from anabolic steroid use. It can cause hypercoagulability. Seems pretty textbook.

This, absolutely has nothing to do with being stationed in Germany. That's laughable. Steroid heads make things up so they don't have to face reality.

If being stationed in Germany caused Heart Attacks there would me a whole lot more HA's out there.

Most steroid heads claim it's "genetics".

Everyone knows the truth here. It was because of using PED's.

Just hope he smartened up.

Chernobyl happened in the 80's.

They don't want his blood, because it might cause people to grow dicks on their forehead. 

LMAO!!!!!

Just spit my coffee out reading that.

So random...

the first thing i thought of when i read the part about being stationed in Germany, and his blood having to be thrown out was Chernobyl and the amount of radiation Germany recieved, but i did some reading and this is what i found.

"Because there is no blood test to check for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease) in humans, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has “indefinitely deferred” donations from anyone who lived in certain parts of Europe for three months or more between 1980 and 1996, according to the Red Cross."

"From 1986–98, the UK saw an epidemic of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), a neurodegenerative disease in cattle likely caused by unsafe feeding practices. By ’96 the disease appeared to have crossed to humans, as scientists identified the first case of vCJD and strongly linked it to BSE. The human form was fatal and incurable: as of May 2015, it had killed at least 228 people, including 177 in the UK and 27 in France. Scientists suspect that vCJD may also be transmissible through human donations of blood, organs, and tissue, based on animal studies and several cases where humans were diagnosed with the disease after a transfusion."

Back to Chernobyl though,  there are radioactive boars running around in Germany.

https://phys.org/news/2011-04-germany-radioactive-boars-legacy-chernobyl.html

7 days ago
5/9/06
GoingII -

I had a widow maker at 43. It was seven months after I won the No Gi Pan. I was working out 4-6 days a week.                                                        It started as belching. Then I had a single crushing pain in the center of my chest and also a single shooting pain into my left shoulder.  I was in Philly for work and live on the Jersey shore.  I got dressed walked to the front desk and said I need to go to the hospital.  The guard asked what happened and I told him about the chest pains. He asked if I was having a heart attack and I said I have no idea but something isn’t right. They called the emt’s abd they were there in less than 2 minutes.  As they were talking the gurney out of the ambulance I walked out to them.  I am a big guy at 6’2 and 270. They were both small about 5’7 and 170 tops.  The smaller of the two looks up at me and says oh thank you as I climb in the ambulance.                                      They took me to hanneman hospital which I found out later was ranked in the top 25 in the world for cardiac care. I was even luckier because the head of cardiology was there making rounds.  It was surreal being rolled into the hospital. There are people all around you poking and prodding taking blood, pulse , blood pressure all while asking questions about you health and family history. They ask me if I want to call my wife and I said it’s nearly midnight not unless this is serious.  They get the blood tests and tell me I am actively having a heart attack while they are attending to me. I get whirled into a surgical room and the last thing I remember  after my 4th shot of morphine was breathing like my wife in lamas and apparently my eyes were closed and my legs were shaking. I hear some one say I need to sit still and tough this out. Apparently my leg was still shaking. The next thing I hear is “you’re going to fuck this up”. I open my eyes and have doctors face only inches from mine.  I remember grabbing the side of the table and then being rolled into an elevator after they put the stent in me and saying my wife was on the way and I will be ok. I had 100% blockage of the LAD artery better known as the widow maker.  It has a 95% mortality rate and you are usually dead within 10 minutes.  I was fortunate and had no damage to my heart due to doing BJJ so much the cardiologist told me that my heart developed additional capillaries to allow blood in the heart which kept the heart from dying and having significant scar tissue.  I fully understand what Randy is talking about and he is truly lucky to be alive and would probably not be here today if he waited to go to the hospital. 

Scary story bro. Glad you are here to tell it. 

Morgzette had a 70% blockage in the LAD. Fortunately for her she was already hospitalized when symptoms showed up. For her it was tightness in the chest and nausea. The body has all sorts of wierd ways of telling us something is wrong. It’s not always just the classic “chest pain” we hear about. She also had some secondary blood vessel growth around the blockage. In her case it signified a long existing problem that had worsened over time. Anyway, a few long stents and she was back in business. A year later she developed another 75% blockage inside the stents. They then went in and put stents inside the originals. That was 4 years ago and all is still well. 

heart disease is no joke and one thing you just don’t play around with.