UnderGround Forums Covington details reason for ATT departure

7/2/20 10:31 AM
1/1/01

Former UFC interim welterweight champion Colby Covington appeared recently on BJ Penn Radio, and discussed his departure in May from ATT.

“My brand was being held back being at American Top Team,” said Covington, as transcribed by Jason Kindschy for BJPenn.com. “I have nothing but respect for Dan Lambert. The guy’s been nothing but a mentor and a good friend, but you cross the line when you try and tell me what I can and cannot do in the professional fighting business. We’re getting locked in an Octagon to kill each other, take each other’s brain cells, send each other to the morgue, and you’re worried about some words that I might be saying? It sounds a little petty and a little childish, and I didn’t have time for that anymore. I got big business to take care of.”

"[ATT's Covington-inspired No Trash Talk policy] was completely the ending of our relationship as a team and being a part of that team anymore. You’re not going to tell me what I can and cannot do. Your team’s name is American Top Team. Just think about that for a second, American Top Team. What are our constitutional rights in America? Do we not have freedom of speech?”

“It’s not fair to try and take someone’s voice away and their platform and try and tell them what they can and cannot do, especially in the fighting business. It’s already an ugly business as it is. Then to be mad about some words when we’re getting locked in a cage to kill each other in our underwear on Saturday nights, it’s just a little pathetic, and it’s not right, but I have no ill will towards it. I think Dan had to do what he had to do, and he felt that it was right to implement that policy for the team.”

"A lot of [ATT fighters] were complaining. A lot of people were up in their feelings. They don’t understand it. They don’t understand the psychology that goes into it. There’s a reason that no one can do what I can do. There’s a reason why people actually are drawn to me. There’s a reason I’m the people’s champ. I fight for the people. I speak for the people. I think people like that I’m real and I stand up. I’m not afraid to say the cold, hard truth. If you’re not okay with the brutal, honest truth, that’s your problem. Facts don’t care about your feelings. They’re still facts.”

“I don’t want to be a distraction. I’ve always been all about teams and putting in the work and helping everybody. I’d help the amateurs. I’d help anybody in the gym that was there. For them to try and tell me to put limits on my career and what I can do, was just, It wasn’t right. This is the best thing that could ever happen, to form Colby Covington Incorporated and just start on my own way. Now I don’t have to worry about how people feel. I do what I want when I want, and that’s the motto at Colby Covington Inc, is that we do what we want when we want, and no one’s going to stop us. If they got something to say, come meet us in the Octagon.”

This has been a great transition. I feel free. I feel like I had cuffs on me before and I was being weighed down. Now I just feel completely free. I’ve never felt this sense of energy before. I feel unstoppable. I really do know that when I come back, it’s going to be a whole different me, a Colby Chaos Covington 2.0, and it’s going to be a completely different look the next time you see me in the Octagon.”

For the record, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution reference by Covington protects freedom of speech and more from government encroachment. It does not mean anyone in the country can say anything to anyone with no repercussions. For example, if you trash talk your own teammates relentlessly and you are removed from the team, your freedom of speech rights have not been violated.

7/2/20 10:52 AM
2/17/03

As a general rule, this episode is Exhibit Y that no fighter should ever be criticized for leaving a camp barring specifically egregious facts.

7/2/20 10:56 AM
2/9/09

Colby kinda has a point here

7/2/20 11:31 AM
5/24/08

When your a toxic teammate always talking crap about your fellow teammates then 99% of gyms will kick that person out. 

Obviously some retards will think Colby has been treated unjustly but those the same retards who've never been part of a MMA gym

7/2/20 11:35 AM
2/26/14

But if it was someone extremely left wing it would be fine. Its strange times really its communism.

7/2/20 11:36 AM
9/17/11

Wrong! The 1st Amendment makes no mention whatsoever about it only relating to the governme"nt. That's nonsense. It says the Government shall make NO LAW...at all prohibitng the "free excerise". While I agree you reap what you sow. Anyone can say whatever they want whenever they want as long as they're accepting of any and all repercussions of said words. You're either for Free Speech all the way or not at all. Not just when it suits an individual and their environment, situation or needs.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

7/2/20 11:38 AM
6/28/10
ValeTudo 1 -

When your a toxic teammate always talking crap about your fellow teammates then 99% of gyms will kick that person out. 

Obviously some retards will think Colby has been treated unjustly but those the same retards who've never been part of a MMA gym

Looks like Colby hurt someones feelings.

7/2/20 11:39 AM
2/17/03
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork - 

Wrong! The 1st Amendment makes no mention whatsoever about it only relating to the governme"nt. That's nonsense. It says the Government shall make NO LAW...at all prohibitng the "free excerise". While I agree you reap what you sow. Anyone can say whatever they want whenever they want as long as they're accepting of any and all repercussions of said words. You're either for Free Speech all the way or not at all. Not just when it suits an individual and their environment, situation or needs.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

LOL.

It opens with "Congress shall make no law." It explicitly stipulates that it only relates to government.

7/2/20 11:40 AM
1/1/01

Colby is a twat but he’s not wrong.
Lambert and co. some pussyboys for getting in their feelings over him talking/selling.

7/2/20 11:44 AM
2/2/12
Babymonst -

But if it was someone extremely left wing it would be fine. Its strange times really its communism.

Politics have no place in sports. Left or right.

I bet you're one of those guys who thought Kapernick deserved the cold shoulder.

7/2/20 11:50 AM
7/28/10

Anyone defending Colby here obviously says whatever comes to thier minds while at thier workplace and exercises free speech in that manner right? All of you follow workplace rules where, by the way, free speech is no allowable when it comes to dealing with co workers or clients. Your workplace puts rules in place and you abide by them or you are no longer an employee. I dont know how this is hard to understand. 

7/2/20 12:00 PM
2/17/03
decasere - 

Anyone defending Colby here obviously says whatever comes to thier minds while at thier workplace and exercises free speech in that manner right? All of you follow workplace rules where, by the way, free speech is no allowable when it comes to dealing with co workers or clients. Your workplace puts rules in place and you abide by them or you are no longer an employee. I dont know how this is hard to understand. 

Yes.

There are consequences to pissing people off.

7/2/20 12:32 PM
5/28/03

Its always fine if it's left wing. Monson's literally anti-US communism was defended by the team as freedom of thought.

You literally never see someone leave a team because the athlete was too left wing. Because conservative people will accept differences in opinion and remain professional in the gym.

Unfortunate.

7/2/20 12:37 PM
11/24/13

Didn't read a word of it. His team likely was sick and tired of Colby whining and picking fights with his own team.

Get lost, Colby!

7/2/20 12:38 PM
1/22/05

He's a drama queen. He was talking shit about his own teammates. 

7/2/20 12:41 PM
1/1/11

Cringy hearing what morons think free speech means

7/2/20 12:52 PM
5/25/06
NEWSFLASH -

Cringy hearing what morons think free speech means

Hate when adults use words like cringy, but you have free speech; you can use it to express yourself as gay as you want. 

7/2/20 12:55 PM
8/4/07

Kirik, was that last paragraph your commentary on the situation? LOL 

7/2/20 1:02 PM
5/24/08
BrckNoHitBk -
ValeTudo 1 -

Looks like Colby hurt someones feelings.

Just stating facts. But you a retard so...

7/2/20 1:05 PM
1/1/01
chilz - 

Kirik, was that last paragraph your commentary on the situation? LOL 

No dude it was my commentary on 22 years of people protesting being banned from the site by complaining that I am violating their constitutional rights to free speech.

For an example of the continuing confusion, see the comment above. The gentleman says:
"Wrong! The 1st Amendment makes no mention whatsoever about it only relating to the governme"nt. That's nonsense."

He then quotes the Bill of Rights, which begins, wait for it:
"Congress shall make no law"
Edited: 7/2/20 1:10 PM
1/1/01

Are y'all gonna really bitching about Democrats on a goddamn Colby Covington thread? Jesus, it's inescapable. For the record, I think both guys at ATT who had the loudest voices concerning him, Jorge and Dustin, are Trump supporters. He's just a shitty stablemate who didn't know when to stfu. Turning this into some 1a shit is part of his character. 

7/2/20 1:15 PM
10/3/16

Colby doesn't mention the catalyst which started it all. He stiffed a coach there (accordng to Masvidal) that's why the team and Jorge got pissed at him - not to mention he publicly embarassed the team when Werdum threw a boomerang at his face and he called the police. AND he talked shit about Joanna and Dustin. Big no no.

7/2/20 1:22 PM
1/7/06
Kirik -

Former UFC interim welterweight champion Colby Covington appeared recently on BJ Penn Radio, and discussed his departure in May from ATT.

“My brand was being held back being at American Top Team,” said Covington, as transcribed by Jason Kindschy for BJPenn.com. “I have nothing but respect for Dan Lambert. The guy’s been nothing but a mentor and a good friend, but you cross the line when you try and tell me what I can and cannot do in the professional fighting business. We’re getting locked in an Octagon to kill each other, take each other’s brain cells, send each other to the morgue, and you’re worried about some words that I might be saying? It sounds a little petty and a little childish, and I didn’t have time for that anymore. I got big business to take care of.”

"[ATT's Covington-inspired No Trash Talk policy] was completely the ending of our relationship as a team and being a part of that team anymore. You’re not going to tell me what I can and cannot do. Your team’s name is American Top Team. Just think about that for a second, American Top Team. What are our constitutional rights in America? Do we not have freedom of speech?”

“It’s not fair to try and take someone’s voice away and their platform and try and tell them what they can and cannot do, especially in the fighting business. It’s already an ugly business as it is. Then to be mad about some words when we’re getting locked in a cage to kill each other in our underwear on Saturday nights, it’s just a little pathetic, and it’s not right, but I have no ill will towards it. I think Dan had to do what he had to do, and he felt that it was right to implement that policy for the team.”

"A lot of [ATT fighters] were complaining. A lot of people were up in their feelings. They don’t understand it. They don’t understand the psychology that goes into it. There’s a reason that no one can do what I can do. There’s a reason why people actually are drawn to me. There’s a reason I’m the people’s champ. I fight for the people. I speak for the people. I think people like that I’m real and I stand up. I’m not afraid to say the cold, hard truth. If you’re not okay with the brutal, honest truth, that’s your problem. Facts don’t care about your feelings. They’re still facts.”

“I don’t want to be a distraction. I’ve always been all about teams and putting in the work and helping everybody. I’d help the amateurs. I’d help anybody in the gym that was there. For them to try and tell me to put limits on my career and what I can do, was just, It wasn’t right. This is the best thing that could ever happen, to form Colby Covington Incorporated and just start on my own way. Now I don’t have to worry about how people feel. I do what I want when I want, and that’s the motto at Colby Covington Inc, is that we do what we want when we want, and no one’s going to stop us. If they got something to say, come meet us in the Octagon.”

This has been a great transition. I feel free. I feel like I had cuffs on me before and I was being weighed down. Now I just feel completely free. I’ve never felt this sense of energy before. I feel unstoppable. I really do know that when I come back, it’s going to be a whole different me, a Colby Chaos Covington 2.0, and it’s going to be a completely different look the next time you see me in the Octagon.”

For the record, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution reference by Covington protects freedom of speech and more from government encroachment. It does not mean anyone in the country can say anything to anyone with no repercussions. For example, if you trash talk your own teammates relentlessly and you are removed from the team, your freedom of speech rights have not been violated.

Exactly, just like the NFL can say you cant kneel for the national anthem 

7/2/20 1:36 PM
4/22/07

I think he needs to remain a loudmouth for what he does for a living, and ATT needed him gone for their gym's sake. I don't see it as a 1A thing but Colby is still in character when he makes it about that, the gym name etc so take it for what it is.

7/2/20 1:38 PM
4/22/07
MarcusAurelioFan -

Colby doesn't mention the catalyst which started it all. He stiffed a coach there (accordng to Masvidal) that's why the team and Jorge got pissed at him - not to mention he publicly embarassed the team when Werdum threw a boomerang at his face and he called the police. AND he talked shit about Joanna and Dustin. Big no no.

I don't like the cop calling aspect, but Werdum is a prick for that one.