UnderGround Forums Cowboy vs Gaethje who ya got?

8 days ago
9/22/06
Cowboy
8 days ago
1/1/01
morotetsuke - Gaetje drags opponents into deep water and steals your will and determination through an unrelenting grind. Based on his history and performance in do or die contests, i would think this is truly Cowboys worst fucking nightmare.

Hard to disagree with this.
8 days ago
7/15/17

this fight should be for a BMF belt 

8 days ago
2/17/03
Cowboy struggles with relentless pressure. RDA was a nightmare for him for this reason.

Justin smothers people. That spells a rough night for Cowboy, IMO.

Not an easy pick. But, I think Justin should be the clear favorite.
8 days ago
11/28/03

cow

8 days ago
10/26/05
Cowboy has never been great against people who go right at him. I don;t see a difference here except that Gaethje is probably the most dangerous of those types of fighters he's faced. Gaethje in round 1 or early round 2.
7 days ago
1/1/01

Cowboy by potential fatality. I love both these guys as fighters. I’d prefer not to see this fight because I think it is a legitimately long-term damage type of fight for Gaethje.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Justin is awesome, but he's kind of a bobblehead. Both are hittable, but I think Cowboy will be the smarter of the two and land the big shot first. Not like Cowboy hasn't taken his share of damage, but I think his chin is still better off than Justin's at this point.

7 days ago
11/10/18

Seems like an easy fight for Gaethje. Cowboy’s boxing isn’t very good and he can’t really kick when being pressured so Justin is a tough style for him. Every single pressure fighter with good hands has not only beaten, but finished Cowboy. Anything can happen and Cowboy can definitely win but from everything we’ve seen from these two Justin should be a solid favorite. 

7 days ago
4/17/17
Floppy Divac - 

Justin is awesome, but he's kind of a bobblehead. Both are hittable, but I think Cowboy will be the smarter of the two and land the big shot first. Not like Cowboy hasn't taken his share of damage, but I think his chin is still better off than Justin's at this point.

You think Cowboy is more durable than Gaethje? You might be the only one.
7 days ago
10/17/13
GuttyProfessor - 

Cowboy by potential fatality. I love both these guys as fighters. I’d prefer not to see this fight because I think it is a legitimately long-term damage type of fight for Gaethje.

I’m just curious why you think that because it’s and interesting POV. Is it level wise? Stylistically a problem for Justin? I think it’s a close fight.
7 days ago
1/1/01
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
GuttyProfessor - 

I’m just curious why you think that because it’s and interesting POV. Is it level wise? Stylistically a problem for Justin? I think it’s a close fight.

I think it is a levels thing. Cowboy is a far cleaner and more technical striker. Once he gets his range, he lights people up. If Gaethje was willing to close distance and take him down, I think it’s a different fight. On the ground, I believe Cowboy is excellent BjJ, but we haven’t seen Gaethje’s submission defense and we know he has most likely got solid ground and pound because of his wrestling background. I just haven’t seen Gaethje willing to fight that fight yet. Also, we’ve seen Gaethje get KO’d already and we know it happens easier each time. If Cowboy loses this fight, it’s because he’s simply losing a step or two as he ages. 

7 days ago
4/17/17
GuttyProfessor - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
GuttyProfessor - 

I think it is a levels thing. Cowboy is a far cleaner and more technical striker. Once he gets his range, he lights people up. If Gaethje was willing to close distance and take him down, I think it’s a different fight. On the ground, I believe Cowboy is excellent BjJ, but we haven’t seen Gaethje’s submission defense and we know he has most likely got solid ground and pound because of his wrestling background. I just haven’t seen Gaethje willing to fight that fight yet. Also, we’ve seen Gaethje get KO’d already and we know it happens easier each time. If Cowboy loses this fight, it’s because he’s simply losing a step or two as he ages. 

Both Alvarez and Poirier had to go through hell to get their TKOs in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Cowboy wont be able to get to that point.

Gaethje has seen this matchup before. Vick and Barbosa. They wanted to trade from middle distance. Gaethje stepped in and knocked them out cold.

Cowboy himself has seen this before. He wants to keep it at middle distance (like how Iaquinta and Hernandez allowed him). Till walked him down and destroyed him. So will Gaethje.

7 days ago
6/23/09

36 years old. Still fighting the young bucks.

7 days ago
11/10/18
GuttyProfessor -
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
GuttyProfessor - 

Amazing perspective. I have to wonder if you saw Cowboy fight Diaz, Masvidal, Ferguson, Till, Dos Anjos or Pettis. He loses badly to anyone with good boxing that’s comes forward. Gaethje is the epitome of that. Sure, Cowboy is talented and can catch anyone on a given night, but I’m amazed anyone would pick him in this type of matchup. 

7 days ago
6/26/06

One of the rare times where cowboy's opponent is the bad match up.  Cowboy will need to catch him in a wild exchange 

7 days ago
9/2/11

cowboy usually shows up to nontitle fights

7 days ago
1/1/01
Eskimo -
GuttyProfessor -
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
GuttyProfessor - 

Amazing perspective. I have to wonder if you saw Cowboy fight Diaz, Masvidal, Ferguson, Till, Dos Anjos or Pettis. He loses badly to anyone with good boxing that’s comes forward. Gaethje is the epitome of that. Sure, Cowboy is talented and can catch anyone on a given night, but I’m amazed anyone would pick him in this type of matchup. 

I saw the fights you mention. I think Cowboy is super tough. He is also more adaptable in the octagon. I think he’ll make the necessary changes.

7 days ago
8/7/06
I love Cowboy, he's probably my favourite active fighter but I think Gaethje wins. I can see it like the Ferguson fight, Cowboy does well at first and lands some shots but Gaethje will overwhelm him with his relentless pressure and Cowboy won't be able to cope.
7 days ago
1/1/01

tough call ill take Cowboy but would not bet it

7 days ago
11/19/07
GuttyProfessor - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
GuttyProfessor - 

Plus Gaethje is going to eat big knees from inside that bull guard when he wades past the jabs.
7 days ago
6/23/10

Gaethje via youth 

Cowboy can still have fun fights but hes been in too many wars and has to know he'll never get another shot at gold. That division is too deep for him to win the strap via the Bisping effect.

7 days ago
1/1/01
LBH_RN -

Gaethje via youth 

Cowboy can still have fun fights but hes been in too many wars and has to know he'll never get another shot at gold. That division is too deep for him to win the strap via the Bisping effect.

As I stated earlier, if Cowboy loses, I think it’s due to Father Time. No one beats age and time. Heck- Courure fought until he was almost 50, but it was a different era and no one knows what that guy would have been like if he was competing during his physical prime.

6 days ago
1/1/01

I got CTE beating both these guys 

6 days ago
10/18/14

I think it all depends on if Cowboy can be ready to go for round 1. It's no secret that Cowboy has been a slow starter in the past, and Gaethje is gonna bring the pressure from the onset of the fight. Cowboy gonna have to crack him early to get some respect. Otherwise I think Gaethje wears Cowboy down and gets a 2nd/3rd round stoppage.

Also worth noting that Cowboy was just in a war with Ferguson less than 3 months ago.