UnderGround Forums DC: Coronavirus could retire me

3/30/20 12:04 PM
1/1/01

Former champ champ Daniel Cormier plans to retire after a trilogy fight with UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic this summer, but the SAR-CoV-2 global pandemic could potentially upend that, too.

“I don’t think it’s shifted too much,” said Cormier to Stephie Haynes, as transcribed by Lewis Mckeever for BE. “I think that we were looking at the summer, late summer, anyways. I think by late summer we should be getting back rolling as a country, as an organization. It affects the ability to go into the gym right now as I would be, but I don’t know the effects of that with some of these other things.”

"This thing starts going to late fall, getting into the winter, there’s no way. I’d be done. Yeah, I think it needs to happen by the summer.” 

3/30/20 1:16 PM
7/2/09

There's part of me that wants to watch an old fashioned high school fight.  When you were in high school, did you agree to a weight months in advance and then train intensively, weight cut, etc?  No.  Pick fight, send location.  Go.

I understand it wouldn't look the same as what we're accustomed to.  But I'm curious to know who's the world's toughest man without the weight cut, the faggotry, etc.  Just show up and go right now.  Who takes it?

My gut says DC because of talent.  But I think Stipe would still have a shot, because he's likely to be in decent shape year round because of the firefighting gig.

How would Tony vs Khabib go if they both sat on the couch for a few months, and then go time?  I think Khabib takes it... talent, again.  I think Tony's game relies on supreme conditioning and he'd be a giraffe on rollerskates without it.

How does GSP vs Conor go if both guys come straight off the couch?  I think Conor takes it.  Same analysis as Tony vs Khabib really.  Conor's hand speed and timing would be just fine with the layoff.

3/30/20 1:21 PM
1/13/11

What the shit are you rambling about up there?

3/30/20 1:23 PM
7/2/09
Flexo -

What the shit are you rambling about up there?

Khabib vs Tony, DC vs Stipe, GSP vs Conor.  Straight off the couch.  No training camp.  Who wins and why?

3/30/20 4:21 PM
6/22/11
jgiveshead -

There's part of me that wants to watch an old fashioned high school fight.  When you were in high school, did you agree to a weight months in advance and then train intensively, weight cut, etc?  No.  Pick fight, send location.  Go.

I understand it wouldn't look the same as what we're accustomed to.  But I'm curious to know who's the world's toughest man without the weight cut, the faggotry, etc.  Just show up and go right now.  Who takes it?

My gut says DC because of talent.  But I think Stipe would still have a shot, because he's likely to be in decent shape year round because of the firefighting gig.

How would Tony vs Khabib go if they both sat on the couch for a few months, and then go time?  I think Khabib takes it... talent, again.  I think Tony's game relies on supreme conditioning and he'd be a giraffe on rollerskates without it.

How does GSP vs Conor go if both guys come straight off the couch?  I think Conor takes it.  Same analysis as Tony vs Khabib really.  Conor's hand speed and timing would be just fine with the layoff.

I prefer highly trained athletes competing at the top of their games. I don't want to see out of shape people that would be top fighters had they not just got off the couch. 

3/30/20 4:22 PM
6/22/11

Also, GSP ragdolls mcgregor with or without training 

3/30/20 5:13 PM
1/1/12

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of GSP not looking Solid. Thick. Tight. 

3/30/20 5:16 PM
1/1/12

Thick. Solid. Tight. Even. 

Beep. 

3/31/20 1:11 AM
7/2/09
SonnendbySilva -
jgiveshead -

I prefer highly trained athletes competing at the top of their games. I don't want to see out of shape people that would be top fighters had they not just got off the couch. 

I get what you're saying.  But you yourself acknowledge that an "off the couch" fighter might still be world e.g., GSP is never really out of shape, and I'll add one to the list, Dan Henderson could hop up off his death bed and KO a motherfucker.  So yeah, maybe I don't want to see the entire, current UFC roster... but the six big names I mentioned.  What about them? 

Does Izzy come into this picture?  What about guys like Kelvin Gastelum and Rampage that are never really in shape to begin with?

3/31/20 1:14 AM
7/2/09

Kharitonov.  Fedor.  Derrick Lewis.  Mark Hunt.