UnderGround Forums DC: The UFC needs to save Jon Jones

Edited: 3/31/20 1:12 AM
1/1/01

Trash talk in MMA puts asses in seats, and thus a very great deal of it is manufactured. However, sometimes enmity between fighters is real, and Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier is as real as it gets. But when DC heard Jones had been arrested yet again, he was not happy.

"That's not me. I didn't celebrate. I didn't celebrate the kid getting in trouble again," Cormier said on Monday's edition of DC & Helwani, as transcribed by the great Jeff Wagenheim for ESPN. "I don't think you should celebrate or dance on someone's grave in their darkest moments."

"I think the UFC needs to save him. Keep him, but then really try to help him try to get better."

"For a guy that has these issues -- whether it be alcohol, whether it be drugs -- that dead time is your worst enemy, All those vices start to pull at you, whenever you're just sitting home with nothing to do, especially if you're not a person that does that a lot."

One of Jones' greatest liabilities, from a fan perspective, is that he does not embrace who he is, but rather characteristically preaches sweetness and light, all the while behaving all too human. Jones recently published a useful shelter in place message on his social network.

And then, of course, he drove around, allegedly drunk, and allegedly shot a firearm.

"That's the biggest problem," said Cormier said." It's just not real. It's never been real. ... So when he's on the front line saying, 'Stay at home,' you know that at night, the moment he gets an opportunity, he sneaks out and does whatever he wants. That's what people with problems do. And this kid has a problem."

"I hate seeing a young, black athlete in that situation even more than my disdain for him. I don't like seeing that because it's almost what people expect. And I don't want that to be the way it is or these young athletes. ... It's like watching Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry all over again."

Cormier said he was speaking with empathy - he spent five days in jail as a college freshman following an arrest for fighting,

"I thought my life was over," said Cormier. "As a 19-year-old kid - had not even wrestled a match in college."

Cormier's mother took out a second mortgage to help pay for the hospital bills of the unfortunate who ended up on the other side of his fists. DC has never gotten in trouble with the law again.

"One time was enough to get me to go, 'You know what? Don't be stupid, Daniel,'" said Cormier. "But for other people, they just do it over and over again."

3/31/20 1:53 AM
8/28/14

DC is a good guy. 

3/31/20 2:06 AM
11/8/19

jones clearly posts shit like that because he wants to say fuck you to everyone. No one takes that shit srsly. I always root for jones in the cage and will always watch his fights. Im a pschycopath myself and what keeps me from drinking and driving is knowing id let down my girl. Same deal with open containers. Just throw it in your trunk if you really have to. And if you have drugs just throw them away and buy more later. He almost wants to get caught which is the confusing part. The legal and social consequences dont matter. He doesnt care about himself yet has an ego.

3/31/20 2:07 AM
11/8/19

and fuck DC and his black bullshit. 

3/31/20 4:21 AM
4/25/11
Raging -

What "black bullshit"?

3/31/20 4:43 AM
10/3/11

So if he was white, it would have been fine? Smh 

3/31/20 5:10 AM
11/20/08
Raging -

What did he say that was wrong? 

there are stereotypes whether people admit it or not and DC doesn’t want to see people fit those stereotypes. It is a black eye on all black people whether it’s fair or not, the saying one bad apple....

same with police, one bad apple and people stereotype all officers.

3/31/20 5:46 AM
8/18/13
Raging -

Guarantee this guy cheers for Mike Perry solely because he relates 

3/31/20 5:47 AM
8/18/13

I hope 25 years from now we see Jones & Cormier in the ring for the build up to a huge main event, just like we saw with Lennox, Holyfield & Tyson recently. 

Two guys who made each other shouldn’t hate each other forever, it’d be pretty sad 

3/31/20 7:19 AM
2/27/20
Dreville79 -
Raging -

Guarantee this guy cheers for Mike Perry solely because he relates 

Mike Perry is clearly black so you are probably wrong 

3/31/20 7:21 AM
5/24/08
Raging -

jones clearly posts shit like that because he wants to say fuck you to everyone. No one takes that shit srsly. I always root for jones in the cage and will always watch his fights. Im a pschycopath myself and what keeps me from drinking and driving is knowing id let down my girl. Same deal with open containers. Just throw it in your trunk if you really have to. And if you have drugs just throw them away and buy more later. He almost wants to get caught which is the confusing part. The legal and social consequences dont matter. He doesnt care about himself yet has an ego.

Stop begging it noob. Why do people try so hard to impress on here. Take it from me no one gives a flying cook.

It always funny to see when they try the "I'm so crazy and dangerous you don't want to mess with me" shtick

3/31/20 7:38 AM
11/8/08

Jon's family and friends need to save him, not his employer. I dont get why people seem to think Dana is supposed to play Daddy and fix everyone's problems.

3/31/20 7:54 AM
2/2/20
Dreville79 -

I hope 25 years from now we see Jones & Cormier in the ring for the build up to a huge main event, just like we saw with Lennox, Holyfield & Tyson recently. 

Two guys who made each other shouldn’t hate each other forever, it’d be pretty sad 

twas beautiful

3/31/20 9:47 AM
2/15/20

Dc....  Quit suckin on Jones  nuts...

3/31/20 10:59 AM
11/28/03

i wanna hear the story about dc kicking someones ass at 19

3/31/20 1:13 PM
6/14/19

DC the baddest dad on the planet!

3/31/20 1:32 PM
9/26/10

jon can't be saved. he is a defective human being. not saying he doesn't have any redeeming traits, but being a sociopath eventually counteracts any of them. 

3/31/20 1:40 PM
5/14/08

All the UFC can do is throw money at it, which Jones has plenty. If JJ doesnt want to be sober, he wont be sober. UFC will not change that with their "help". Cut him, make him deal with the consequences of making these "mistakes". Walk away from the addict who wont help himself and stop enabling.

3/31/20 1:56 PM
1/11/17
Raging -

Calm down snowflake.

3/31/20 5:10 PM
10/6/02
Nobody care about Tony vs Kahbib anymore. I am sick of the whole fight. Just let Conor fight whoever and lets get on with the show
3/31/20 5:14 PM
9/23/07

DC is one hell of a human being.

3/31/20 6:04 PM
2/15/06
colubrid1 - Nobody care about Tony vs Kahbib anymore. I am sick of the whole fight. Just let Conor fight whoever and lets get on with the show

Tony/Khabib is still the best fight they could make. Most of us want that fight.

3/31/20 6:34 PM
2/14/11
Raging -

Great way to announce your low IQ, thanks for sharing. 

3/31/20 9:14 PM
7/4/10
colubrid1 - Nobody care about Tony vs Kahbib anymore. I am sick of the whole fight. Just let Conor fight whoever and lets get on with the show

Wrong thread faggot. True fans do t give a fuck about Conor 

3/31/20 10:04 PM
12/6/05

No one can save anyne BUT themselves.