UnderGround Forums DC: When UFC returns it will be superfights galore

14 days ago
1/1/01

Former champ champ Daniel Cormier appeared recently on Michael Bisping’s Believe You Me podcast, and predicted an upside to the cancelation of at least three UFC events due to the novel coronavirus global pandemic.

“There’s nothing right now. We’re essentially in a holding pattern,” said Cormier, as transcribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting . “The UFC is on pause. Not even the UFC, the whole world is on pause right now. All sports, everything that entertains. So it’s just a wait and see.

“But you know what you can look forward to as an athlete is knowing that when the UFC returns, you’re going to be a part of some massive fight cards. Because all these fights have to happen, and as long as the UFC is on pause, the UFC is not making any money. So when the UFC comes back, they have to make all that money that’s supposed to be made over the course of the year, so they’re going to put on massive fight cards every single week until the end of the year and I cannot wait to be a part of it.

“Superfight after superfight after superfight, super fight card after super fight card, super card, super card. It’s gonna be like the UFC back in the day when there was one every couple of months and you got massive cards every time.”

“I hear that [AKA teammate Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 ] is still happening. I haven’t heard that it’s not. So we operate under the assumption that it’s still going to happen on April 18th. I don’t know how, I don’t know where, but until Dana comes out and says it’s off, I’m gonna believe that I get to watch Khabib fight Tony on April 18th from wherever in the world that they’re gonna allow a fight to happen.”

14 days ago
12/26/19

“Superfight after superfight after superfight, super fight card after super fight card, super card, super card. It’s gonna be like the UFC back in the day when there was one every couple of months and you got massive cards every time.”

Very, very doubtful. When was the last time the UFC had what was even remotely close to a super card? For the few good fights we're missing out on, we're also missing out on dozens and dozens of shit fights and WMMA, all which will have to be made up. Cards may be more consistent, but they'll be more watered down than ever.

14 days ago
9/19/13

He’s 100% right because they will be scrambling to make up lost revenue. 

13 days ago
1/18/04
oranos - 

He’s 100% right because they will be scrambling to make up lost revenue. 

Yes, but you'd think they'd want to be maximizing revenue all the time. Likely there will be at least more championship defenses.