UnderGround Forums DFW: Fighters free to express their politics

6/6/20 12:09 AM
1/1/01

When then San Francisco 49 Colin Kaepernick took a knee to protest the treatment of minorities in the USA, he met intense resistance from the NFL. However, following the murder of George Floyd, Commissioner Roger Goodell offered a mea culpa.

“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” said Goodell. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier, and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter.”

Now during the UFC 250 pre-event media scrum, UFC president Dana White said the league will not compromise fighters' freedom of expression.

“When the country and the world, really, is going through all the things that we’re going through right now, to tell people they can’t express themselves is absolutely insane,” said White. “First of all, you’re going to have a lot of different feelings and emotions about all the things that are going on right now.

“When you look at the UFC, we’re truly a global business. People from all over the world face things that other people would never understand. To have the ability to tell people, ‘You can’t express yourself,’ whether it’s anger, happiness, fear –  it’s crazy. We would never do that. We’d never try to do that.”

“You’ve seen some of our athletes out there in different ways expressing how they feel one way or another. The beautiful thing is that this is America. You know what I mean? You can say anything you want to and express your feelings or your opinions. I have no problem with any of our athletes doing that – or our employees. We’ve had a lot of employees express how they felt, too. It’s never going to happen here.”

h/t   Nolan King and John Morgan • MMA Junkie

6/6/20 12:51 AM
1/3/20

Bla bla bla bla bla derp derp! 

6/6/20 1:25 AM
4/22/07

I usually take my political cues from people who take a lot of blows to the head.

6/6/20 1:48 AM
1/24/16

Masvidal seems to have a business degree as well. "I want 50% of revenue for fighters. Why? Because hot dogs"

6/6/20 3:52 AM
3/27/20

You can't talk about Fallon Fox though. 

6/6/20 6:12 AM
8/26/13

The ufc should just charge fans extra on ppv. Whatever it takes to boost revenue. They're dying and suffering in that cage. 

6/6/20 6:32 AM
1/1/01

Doesn't UFC have a ban on anyone with far right affiliations/tattoos too?

6/6/20 6:51 AM
2/2/20
dinkledorf -

Masvidal seems to have a business degree as well. "I want 50% of revenue for fighters. Why? Because hot dogs"

or because NFL MLB & NBA pay closer to 50/50.

6/6/20 6:52 AM
2/2/20

and boxers make millions and millions more.

6/6/20 9:43 AM
9/18/14
godstriker -

and boxers make millions and millions more.

The 1% of boxers. You ever seen what the guys on the bottom of the card make?

6/6/20 10:27 AM
6/23/10

In the boxing world, theres Deontay Wilder,  Anthony Joshua, and Tyson Fury making millions.  If another fighter signs to fight either of these guys, that fighter will also make millions.

The only fighter with that pull in the UFC is Conor.   I think these guys want more million dollar paydays.  I would think guys like izzy,  JBJ, Stipe,  and Usman are making close to it.  Khabib is likely over the million mark.  Masvidal is fun to watch, but Colby had a point, hes a bit of a journeyman.  NFL, NBA, MLB guys make millions more because of tv, merchandise, and above all, an actual season.   Fighting 3 times a year tops vs nearly 200 baseball games, a minimum of 16 weeks of football, 82 games of basketball all reflect higher pay.

I still think its bullshit a major sports athlete can get 50 million guaranteed money before doing shit.  

6/6/20 10:46 AM
5/13/05

Boxers have to pay the sanctioning fee for the belts they own. My coach had a guy win a state title for about $20k they guy had to give the sanctioning body between 3-4k of his purse just to have the belt. When you begin a big star the fees are even higher that is why boxers vacate the title so much. Cotto had to pay like $300K to the WBC! 

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-miguel-cotto-refused-pay-300k-sanctioning-fee/story?id=35253809

6/6/20 3:37 PM
9/14/17
Kirik -

When then San Francisco 49 Colin Kaepernick took a knee to protest the treatment of minorities in the USA, he met intense resistance from the NFL. However, following the murder of George Floyd, Commissioner Roger Goodell offered a mea culpa.

“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” said Goodell. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier, and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter.”

Now during the UFC 250 pre-event media scrum, UFC president Dana White said the league will not compromise fighters' freedom of expression.

“When the country and the world, really, is going through all the things that we’re going through right now, to tell people they can’t express themselves is absolutely insane,” said White. “First of all, you’re going to have a lot of different feelings and emotions about all the things that are going on right now.

“When you look at the UFC, we’re truly a global business. People from all over the world face things that other people would never understand. To have the ability to tell people, ‘You can’t express yourself,’ whether it’s anger, happiness, fear –  it’s crazy. We would never do that. We’d never try to do that.”

“You’ve seen some of our athletes out there in different ways expressing how they feel one way or another. The beautiful thing is that this is America. You know what I mean? You can say anything you want to and express your feelings or your opinions. I have no problem with any of our athletes doing that – or our employees. We’ve had a lot of employees express how they felt, too. It’s never going to happen here.”

He couldn't say the words, could he?! He's that deep in bed with Trump that he can't express his support for racial equality? Instead he just spews around the bush without really saying anything. Now that, is crazy.

6/6/20 3:59 PM
10/9/14
ILKR -
Kirik -

He couldn't say the words, could he?! He's that deep in bed with Trump that he can't express his support for racial equality? Instead he just spews around the bush without really saying anything. Now that, is crazy.

Racial equality like pretending blacks are hunted down by police everyday for no reason. Yeah Dana should do that 

6/6/20 4:30 PM
3/23/06

It’s because they can’t regulate fighters because they aren’t employees, they are independent contractors