UnderGround Forums DFW: Jones responsible for lack of drawing power

5/31/20 9:57 AM
1/1/01

UFC president Dana White and light heavyweight champion Jon Jones got into it repeatedly this week over a potential superfight with top heavyweight Francis Ngannou. White implied Jones wanted $25-30 million and said the numbers weren't there. Jones said he never threw a number. White said that A. Jones in the MMA G.O.A.T., and B. Yes he did and there were texts to prove it. Jones said to make the alleged texts public.

At the UFC on ESPN 9 post-fight press conference, White was asked about it.

“Who do you believe? It’s up to you guys," said White. "What the f*** would I lie for? What do I have to gain from lying about it? Why would I lie? It doesn’t matter. You know what I mean? Obviously, he’s fired up right now.”

“He had a great talk yesterday with Hunter, my lawyer, who’s really close to Jon Jones and likes him. They have a good relationship. They had a good talk yesterday. It is what it is. I really don’t care. I couldn’t care less, to be honest with you."

“They had a good talk. They had a good talk yesterday. Those guys are tight. ... I’m always looking at what Jon Jones could’ve been. He could have been the LeBron of this sport. He could have been that big. The stuff that’s he been through, to show up and think he basically [demanded] $15 million, or $20 million, or $30 million, it’s crazy. He can do whatever he wants to do. He can sit out. He can fight. He can do whatever.”

“Being the greatest of all-time doesn’t mean you get $30 million. Being able to sell [does]. Jon Jones has done a lot of things to himself. In one of his tweets, he was saying I tarnished him. I tarnished you? You’ve done a very good job of tarnishing you. I haven’t done that.

“Hunter told him. You can come in and walk through the numbers. ‘I’ll walk you through the numbers.’ And he says, ‘I don’t give a s*** what the numbers are. I want what I want, and that’s it.’ That’s not how life works. Why don’t you guys fly back and tell your boss, ‘f*** what this company makes. This is what I want and you’re going to give it to me.’ See how that s*** works out for you.”

h/t  Nolan King and John Morgan for MMA Junkie

5/31/20 10:12 AM
12/26/08
John Jones is a degenerate scumbag that lies with ease.
5/31/20 10:38 AM
12/9/12

Hate to say it, but I agree with Dana. I was a JJ fan in the early days, but since years I've simply wish he would disappear and let others fill that space at LHW. Every time he fights I hope he looses, and i would not pay to see him fight (anymore). 

5/31/20 11:03 AM
9/24/18
Truth is, Jon is at the end of his run now and he knows it. He's trying to get 1-2 last big paydays before he gets out.

Dana also knows this and has all the leverage here. Jon walking away at this point would be a loss to the UFC, but not a massive one like it would have been 4-5 years ago.
5/31/20 11:31 AM
2/15/20

Fuck Jones let him go...  Give his belt to Dominic the real champ!!!

5/31/20 11:35 AM
9/20/19

Jones is an awful human being, but all of these guys are being grossly underpaid when you compare revenue sharing percentages with every other major pro sport. 

5/31/20 12:31 PM
11/20/08

Hate to say it but Jones has gotten away with so much shit outside the cage as well as inside, his criminal behaviour to PEDs, constant eye pokes, add to that he has still lucky to be a champion by GIFT decisions.

He could have been the biggest star but he screwed himself. Make him fight out his contract and stop protecting him, let him lose as he should have already and watch his stock keep going down

5/31/20 12:36 PM
6/22/13

Has Jones been accused of rape or punched out an old man in a bar yet?  Coke head Conor is no saint and he gets the $ and I bet he has as many haters as Jones.  

I want to see the best fighters fight the best fighters in their prime.  UFC fighters are grossly underpaid compared to overall revenue.  

5/31/20 12:39 PM
1/1/01

Cool, go fight in Asia Jones

5/31/20 12:50 PM
2/15/09

Offer $1 million per fight plus cover all pending and future criminal cases in the next 3 years.  

Also, LOL at Dana saying "who are you going to believe?" when it's believing him or literally anyone else ??

5/31/20 12:56 PM
2/22/09
crashingwaves -

Has Jones been accused of rape or punched out an old man in a bar yet?  Coke head Conor is no saint and he gets the $ and I bet he has as many haters as Jones.  

I want to see the best fighters fight the best fighters in their prime.  UFC fighters are grossly underpaid compared to overall revenue.  

Conor is a much bigger draw than Jones.

5/31/20 1:08 PM
5/13/05

Jon Jones has done a lot of things to himself. In one of his tweets, he was saying I tarnished him. I tarnished you? You’ve done a very good job of tarnishing you. I haven’t done that.

Hes Right You Know GIF - HesRightYouKnow MorganFreeman HeIsRight ...

Edited: 5/31/20 1:50 PM
8/20/13

It's the promoter's job to promote. Jones is arguably the best fighter in the world and should be an easy sell.

The problem is Dana is such a shit promoter that he's never actually gotten anyone over. Every draw in UFC history has had to do Dana's job for him.

5/31/20 1:26 PM
8/24/15
crashingwaves -

Famous people get falsely accused all the time. What has he been convicted of?

Yeah McGregor has his haters but he has equal or more that like him. The problem with jones is that people just dont care for him. Better to have hatters than nobody giving a shit.

5/31/20 1:26 PM
3/16/15
Jon Jones is the biggest POS in MMA
5/31/20 1:30 PM
8/26/11
HillboFrateTrane -

Jones is an awful human being, but all of these guys are being grossly underpaid when you compare revenue sharing percentages with every other major pro sport. 

MMA is very small in comparison to other sports. Table Tennis has 3 times as many fans. 

Show me an athlete in a sport as small as MMA that gets paid more than Jon Jones. 

Edited: 5/31/20 1:58 PM
9/19/13

Jon Jones is a 80 IQ fucking moron. I knew he was a sociopath before but now I know he is borderline retarded.

5/31/20 2:09 PM
9/20/19
Kimbos Lice -
HillboFrateTrane -

MMA is very small in comparison to other sports. Table Tennis has 3 times as many fans. 

Show me an athlete in a sport as small as MMA that gets paid more than Jon Jones. 

REVENUE. 

boxing will have comparable gate and ppv nimbers while headlining athletes get a much larger share. 

Nobody gives a fuck about table tennis fans in China making 40 bucks a week. 

Theres the amount of money being made per event and the payroll for said event. The ratio in the ufc is much more lopsided than professional sports doing to same gates and ppv numbers. 

5/31/20 2:39 PM
2/13/16

Dana is 100 percent right here.

I think Dana is enjoying this.  He has Jon by the balls and he knows it.  Wanna fight?  Cool fight.  Don’t wanna fight?  Cool don’t fight.

Keep pushing for release?  Cool don’t fight, and bleed you dry over lawyer fees in court for the next few years while you’re still not fighting/making money.

fact is they’ve never made more concessions for any fighter than jones.  Fuck they moved an entire event the week before because of tbat idiot.

5/31/20 3:14 PM
8/26/11
HillboFrateTrane -
Kimbos Lice -
HillboFrateTrane -

REVENUE. 

boxing will have comparable gate and ppv nimbers while headlining athletes get a much larger share. 

Nobody gives a fuck about table tennis fans in China making 40 bucks a week. 

Theres the amount of money being made per event and the payroll for said event. The ratio in the ufc is much more lopsided than professional sports doing to same gates and ppv numbers. 

You don't work in sports finance.

You have no idea what you're talking about 

5/31/20 3:27 PM
5/8/13

Does jones not understand that if he’s released, without the ufc involved there won’t be that big of a bidding war for him... other guys could use ufc as leverage for more $ in bellator or whatever, but if Coker KNOWS the ufc doesn’t want him, why over pay him?  Maybe I’m totally wrong haha I dunno  

5/31/20 3:55 PM
2/2/15

I'm no fan of Jones, but all Dana does is lie. He can just release the texts and prove himself not the liar in this instance. But he hasn't.

5/31/20 4:11 PM
6/9/16

Ha ha! Dana moves quickly to bail out Jones every time he fucks up, or at least welcomes him back with open arms. Why? Because Jones is his good buddy? Because he's such a humantarian? 

Nope, because JONES MAKES HIM MONEY!!!

5/31/20 4:54 PM
8/20/16

lol Dana asking why he would lie. Why would the biggest liar in the sport lie? It's an absolute head-scratcher.

5/31/20 5:02 PM
6/20/11
Pizzacorner - John Jones is a degenerate scumbag that lies with ease.

This exact statement fits Dana perfectly too