UnderGround Forums DFW lays down the law on Hardy, Dean confrontation

13 days ago
1/1/01

At UFC on ESPN 14, UFC commentator and (hopefully not former) fighter Dan Hardy got upset at referee Herb Dean's stoppage of Tanner Boser vs. Raphel Pessoa fight, and furious at Dean's stoppage of Francisco Trinaldo vs. Jai Herbert. After the second bout, Hardy shouted out, "STOP THE FIGHT" which could not be missed in the empty arena. Then Hardy voiced his disapproval face to face with Dean immediately after the fight.

A highly unusual back and forth via multiple separate interviews then followed, with Dean asking Hardy to take off the Superman cape, and noting that yelling the referee should come only from the cageside doctors or officials. Hardy continued to argue that this stoppage was woefully late.

Remember when Paul Daley took a poke at referee Dan Miragliotta a split second after the Josh Koscheck fight a decade ago, and was never seen in the Octagon again? That was the essence of White's warning to Hardy.

“I want to make this very clear: If you work for me, and you approach a judge or a referee or any type of official, I will fire you,” said White. “You will lose your job. You will never work for me again if you do that. Nobody has the right to – listen, you want to criticize judges, you want to criticize referees, you didn’t agree with a decision or things like that – we love Dan. Dan got emotional. The problem is now with this setup it’s a lot easier to do. It’s a lot easier to interact with everybody, from the fighters to the refs to the media and everybody.

“If you work for me in any capacity,  and you approach a referee or judge or official, I will fire you that night on the spot. That can never happen here ever again.”

No action will be taken against Hardy for the incident, but the zero-tolerance policy is clear.

“I’m speaking to [Hardy] right now,” said White. “I’m speaking to everybody. Don’t ever do it ever again. And if you’re a fighter, and you put your hands on or threaten any official, you will never, ever fight here again. Period.”

h/t Mike Bohn and Ken Hathaway for MMA Junkie

13 days ago
4/22/07

We all know women who get emotional like that. Give Dan a break.

13 days ago
1/1/01
ShanTheMan - 

Dan just got a trip to the woodshed. Job is intact.

13 days ago
7/10/12

So zero tolerance but no action against Dan?

Which is it?

13 days ago
4/22/07
Kirik -
ShanTheMan - 

Dan just got a trip to the woodshed. Job is intact.

Dana pounded him behind the barn? 

*Not sure if I messed up the gay Hughes brothers saying*

13 days ago
2/13/11

What about Conor? LOL, fucking liar.

13 days ago
11/29/11

Says the guy who signed Gilbert Yvel. What changed dana? 

13 days ago
1/19/12
Rabid Bunyip -

Which is it?

I was thinking the same thing. Those two items are contradictory. 

13 days ago
10/17/13
Hardy made a mistake, I’m glad Dana checked him.
13 days ago
8/18/13

Well said. Hope we never see it again, and if we do, I hope whoever does it is fired

13 days ago
9/22/11

Good call dana.

13 days ago
11/18/14
2breath2feel -

that was no straightforward, impartial official role being undertaken. the ref was being a deliberate cunt, deserved it imo.

13 days ago
11/5/19
mindless optimism - 
2breath2feel -

that was no straightforward, impartial official role being undertaken. the ref was being a deliberate cunt, deserved it imo.

Agreed...cant believe some don’t know the story gerund that yet. and also a decade prior to Lorenzo signing him. He served his time
12 days ago
2/26/14

He doesn't address dan hardy.... he never pushed herb he talks about a different thang yawl

12 days ago
10/10/18

I still say Herb was the only one who could see the fighters eyes. Yea, the fall didn't look good but to avoid another Cruz episode,  give the guy a chance.  Herb did & then stopped the fight. 

12 days ago
5/12/12

I love Dana

12 days ago
11/14/16

I think it’s pretty clear who and why Dana was commenting

12 days ago
10/3/16

Conor pushed Marc Goddard once and assaulted an official at another event as well.

12 days ago
6/20/11
MarcusAurelioFan -

Conor pushed Marc Goddard once and assaulted an official at another event as well.

We all know conor has a different set of rules, why act surprised every single time ?

12 days ago
1/1/01
It was a good stoppage. People complain constantly about early stoppages, Herb did the right thing. Hardy was just having flashbacks from all of the times he got his ass beat in the cage.
12 days ago
4/11/11

Herb Dean walked over to Dan Hardy. Dan never called out Herb. He yelled out 'stop the fight, that's twice now' while commentating. Herb heard it and went up to the commentary desk after the fight. That's when the confrontation happened.

Edited: 12 days ago
3/13/18

Seems to be said all the time, that Herb "confronted" Hardy. Made to sound like Herb sought him out specifically. The photo's and video suggest otherwise. That is, Herb was exiting stage right.

As below, Herb is standing to the left of Hardy, the arrows show the direction he walked thereafter.  Herb must have come into view from the left.  Meaning to exit the cage or to return to where refs are housed, he had to walk by Hardy. Herb certainly didn't walk all the way from the right, up to and a foot or two past Hardy (to his left) to talk to him. Why would he do that. If anything he would be standing to the right of Hardy in the photo, the shorter distance from where he came.

I don't believe Hardy and his parrots claiming it was Herb who "confronted" him. Herb had to walk past him.

Video of exiting:

12 days ago
11/20/08
Rabid Bunyip -

Which is it?

Maybe listen to what he said again? "IF it ever happens again"

It's pretty clear what he meant

12 days ago
8/1/07
Rabid Bunyip - 

Which is it?

Because it was not stated before Dan gets off with a warning however that warning applies to everyone so if it happens again they get fired.

Pretty easy concept to grasp.
12 days ago
3/14/02

It's a delicate balance. The refs don't work for UFC, and the athletic commissions are barely allowing these events. Any missteps could sink the UFC.

Dan Hardy is a solid dude, and I agree 100% with his mindset on this. He was a top fighter and sees safety through the vulnerable fighter's eyes. - Clearly Dean had an off-night.

That being said, Dana 'had' to say what he said. to placate the powers to be.

I played hockey at a high level, and the punishment for 'molesting' a ref on the ice was severe. I learned the hard way. I pushed a ref backwards, because he disallowed my (clearly in the net) overtime goal to win a playoff series. I was suspended for the rest of the playoffs (we ended up winning that game) and half the next season. The WHL (Western Hockey League) used me as an example, as things were evolving from the old days to the new pussy days.