UnderGround Forums DFW lays down the law on Hardy, Dean confrontation

2 days ago
8/18/13
Kirik -
ShanTheMan - 

We all know women who get emotional like that. Give Dan a break.

Dan just got a trip to the woodshed. Job is intact.

Completely understand if you don’t want to, but would love to hear your personal thoughts on this one Kirik.

Big fan of Hardy, but I was actually fuming watching that night. He’s very lucky to have his job intact in my opinion 

2 days ago
12/7/10

This is one time I 100% agree with Dana White. And I love that there is zero equivocation: If you ever confront a ref over a call during the event, you will be fired. On the spot.

No ref needs some idiot commentator all up in their face for just trying to do their job.

2 days ago
1/1/01

Remember when Dana threw out a judge midcard at an overseas event because he didnt like his decision?

2 days ago
11/5/19
I wonder what Dana’s thoughts are on if a fighter goes off and calls female media members cunts
2 days ago
1/3/20

Why does anybody believe anything this scumbag says? Translation "Depending on who you are I will fire you immediately!" 

2 days ago
2/3/11

Dana prefers whining in interviews and social media. God, the bitching about Mazagatti when golden goose Lesnar got tappes.

I agree with Dana though, just a tad hypocritical.

Edited: 2 days ago
11/24/13

So basically if you're not a star like Conor, you can't express your opinion. Got it.

Dan stood behind his desk, Herb came into Dan's space.

But if you're Conor, you can swing your dick anywhere, hop the cage and assault the ref during a live match. Visciously assault elderly people in public, commit attempted murder via launching dolly through window a vehicle with many people on board, etc. Not only is that apparently ALLOWED, Dana will cut PROMOS with the video evidence!

2 days ago
5/15/15
Nytron -

So basically if you're not a star like Conor, you can't express your opinion. Got it.

But if you're Conor, you can swing your dick anywhere, hop the cage and assault the ref during a live match. Visciously assault elderly people in public, commit attempted murder via launching dolly through window a vehicle with many people on board, etc. Not only is that apparently ALLOWED, Dana will cut PROMOS with the video evidence!

Count the fouls of the Khabib/McGregor fight just for old times sake.

2 days ago
1/30/16

You ever see an nba/nfl/mlb commentator go up to an official and question their call? No, because it’s unprofessional. They may disagree but they don’t go up to anyone, that I’ve ever seen, and give them a piece of their mind.

I know fighting has different consequences, but you have to take the same approach or it opens too many doors.

Dana is spot on and Hardy needs to man up and accept he shouldn’t have done what he did.

2 days ago
9/19/13

THATS TWO TIMES NOW

2 days ago
5/10/07
steak and chicken -
Rabid Bunyip -

So zero tolerance but no action against Dan?

Which is it?

Maybe listen to what he said again? "IF it ever happens again"

It's pretty clear what he meant

I’ve been here a while, morons will be morons.  

2 days ago
5/10/07
Nytron -

If you speak a different language he said “if it happens again”.  Meaning from the moment of this announcement forward.  Why u not listening?

2 days ago
1/1/01
Dreville79 - 
Kirik -
ShanTheMan - 

We all know women who get emotional like that. Give Dan a break.

Dan just got a trip to the woodshed. Job is intact.

Completely understand if you don’t want to, but would love to hear your personal thoughts on this one Kirik.

Big fan of Hardy, but I was actually fuming watching that night. He’s very lucky to have his job intact in my opinion 

I've reffed 100s of fights. Sometimes what is really happening is nothing like what you see on tv. I've had guys killing each other and I happen to watch the tape and it looks average. And I've had guys that looked like they were out, I mean guys go out standing and wake up when they hit the mat, but they were in the fight, wanted to still be in there, and were subtly moving to make something happen. Dean is not infallible, no human is, be is a stellar ref, and I am very confident saw things that others didn't and likely couldn't.

Dan is a passionate guy and this is a passionate sport. But he lost control of himself. If he really cares about the sport - and he does - it would behoove him to now at least shadow a course in reffing. I don't think he should be further disciplined though - his heart was very much in the right place. But outside of a mosh pit or something, we all have to keep ourselves in check to some degree.

2 days ago
7/10/12
stainlesssteel -

This is one time I 100% agree with Dana White. And I love that there is zero equivocation: If you ever confront a ref over a call during the event, you will be fired. On the spot.

No ref needs some idiot commentator all up in their face for just trying to do their job.

Except Hardy isn’t fired

2 days ago
12/7/10
Rabid Bunyip -
stainlesssteel -

Except Hardy isn’t fired

I would strongly advise not testing the waters.

2 days ago
7/10/12
stainlesssteel -
Rabid Bunyip -
stainlesssteel -

Except Hardy isn’t fired

I would strongly advise not testing the waters.

Didn’t realise you got to test “zero equivocation”

1 day ago
3/14/02
Whambo - 

Remember when Dana threw out a judge midcard at an overseas event because he didnt like his decision?

How is that possible? The UFC can't throw out or fire a judge. The judge works for the commission. The UFC has no jurisdiction over that employee.

1 day ago
3/14/02
danybayamon23 - 

You ever see an nba/nfl/mlb commentator go up to an official and question their call? No, because it’s unprofessional. They may disagree but they don’t go up to anyone, that I’ve ever seen, and give them a piece of their mind.

I know fighting has different consequences, but you have to take the same approach or it opens too many doors.

Dana is spot on and Hardy needs to man up and accept he shouldn’t have done what he did.

Absolutely. Do you watch other sports??? The commentators frequently call out the refs during games in all major sports. Living in a cave...

1 day ago
12/7/10

Hardy is very lucky he is a popular former fighter, or I believe Dana White would have fired him. 

First of all, confronting the ref after the fight is pointless. The fight is over, whatever infraction that so angered Hardy has happened. The ref is not going to go back and reaward the fighter a point if one was taken. The fight is over and nothing will change whether you confront the ref or not.

In other words, it's unnecessary drama that does nothing to Dana White but piss him off, and you cannot blame the guy when you consider the monumental amount of things he has to handle on a daily basis. 

So he makes it crystal clear, forget about what anyone else did, if you work for me, and Dana stresses this to say not the ESPN guys, not the PPV guys, the guys that work for me, if you confront a ref again during an event, you will be fired. On the spot. Dana White frequently may threaten to fire soneone, but very rarely does he say on the spot.

Hardy let his emotions get the best of him and if Dana wanted to fire him, he would have been fired by now. But make no mistake, this was Dana White laying the pimp hand on Dan Hardy.

So as the fight game as goes life, how you handle yourself in adversity proves your worth as champion and you heart as a man. How does Dan Hardy handle his commentating duties going forward? What happens the next time he strongly disagrees with a referee?

One reason why a guy like Jon Anik is priceless. Never offends anyone, smooth MC of the event, able to interview any fighter with zero controversy, and is familiar to everyone.