UnderGround Forums DFW on working it out with Masvidal

7/7/20 11:09 AM
1/1/01

BMF Jorge Masvidal was supposed to fight UFC welterweight champion Kamaru Usman, but negotiations fell apart over money so badly that "Gamebred" asked for his release, and Gilbert Burns got the shot. Then Burns got COVID-19 and Masvidal negotiated a new deal, and fights for the title on Saturday night at UFC 251.

UFC president Dana White spoke recently with ESPN about how it happened.

“If you look at the 20 year history [of the UFC], this kind of stuff happens," said White. "When you get into negotiations for fights, these things happen. Gilbert Burns has been on a tear, and was consistently fighting and wanted to continue to fight and was the number one contender, so Gilbert Burns made sense."

“Obviously Masvidal has become a massive star over the last year and a half, and that’s the fight that people want to see, so when Burns fell out, we got in a room and figured Masvidal out.”

h/t Adam Guillen Jr. for MMA Mania

Edited: 7/7/20 12:09 PM
10/20/16

Same old Dana: says a bunch of stuff without actually saying anything 

edit: originally wrote “c l a s s i c Dana” but that word still doesn’t work

7/7/20 12:09 PM
10/3/16

In what universe did anyone rank Gilbert ahead of Mas? Complete bald faced lie.

7/7/20 12:13 PM
6/14/12
bootysweat -

Same old Dana: says a bunch of stuff without actually saying anything 

edit: originally wrote “c l a s s i c Dana” but that word still doesn’t work

7/7/20 12:14 PM
8/4/07
MarcusAurelioFan -

The UFC rigged rankings. I'm some of the media get side cash for ranking to the UFC's liking. 

7/7/20 12:24 PM
8/28/17

Dana had to come crawling back and meet his demands, ya love to see it 

7/7/20 12:58 PM
2/28/14
MarcusAurelioFan -

6 fight win streak including Maia, Gunnar, and domination of Woodley who was just champ a year prior

vs

3 fight streak, coming off a win against a semi-retired journeyman

In what universe does a 34-13 fighter beat a 20-11 fighter and people rank him above guy who's 19-3 and undefeated at the weight LOL

Edited: 7/7/20 1:08 PM
10/3/16
Gennady Goblin -
MarcusAurelioFan -

6 fight win streak including Maia, Gunnar, and domination of Woodley who was just champ a year prior

vs

In what universe does a 34-13 fighter beat a 20-11 fighter and people rank him above guy who's 19-3 and undefeated at the weight LOL

You didn't name the other guys because they are nobody.

Masvidal beat Till (who only lost to Woodley) so bad he had to move up.

Masvidal beat Diaz in a fight so big Dana gave him a belt and the President of the United States attended it.

Masvidal KOed an undefeated welterweight, in a fight he wasn't supposed to win. In the fastest KO ever in UFC.

If you wanna call Nate a journeyman then Gunnar Nelson and Demian Maia sure as shit are too.

And Gilbert didn't finish any of those latest three I listed.

Jorge finished every single one.

I think anyone who reads this argument will agree with me.. unless you think never being finished in a fight ever is less impressive than beating a guy without a Wikipedia page (that's one of your 6)

7/7/20 3:23 PM
5/7/08
MarcusAurelioFan -
Gennady Goblin -
MarcusAurelioFan -

vs

You didn't name the other guys because they are nobody.

Masvidal beat Till (who only lost to Woodley) so bad he had to move up.

Masvidal beat Diaz in a fight so big Dana gave him a belt and the President of the United States attended it.

Masvidal KOed an undefeated welterweight, in a fight he wasn't supposed to win. In the fastest KO ever in UFC.

If you wanna call Nate a journeyman then Gunnar Nelson and Demian Maia sure as shit are too.

And Gilbert didn't finish any of those latest three I listed.

Jorge finished every single one.

I think anyone who reads this argument will agree with me.. unless you think never being finished in a fight ever is less impressive than beating a guy without a Wikipedia page (that's one of your 6)

Demian Maia is leagues above Nate Diaz, come on now. Gunnar Nelson is indeed a journeyman, but Maia is on another tier from those other cats.

7/7/20 3:31 PM
3/13/02

Sure Dana, the first 7 years of the Ultimate Fighting Championship never happened.  revisionist history. 

7/7/20 7:59 PM
10/19/14
MarcusAurelioFan -

Anyone with a brain that follows the sport