UnderGround Forums DFW responds to Spencer Fisher story

1/14/21 9:12 AM
1/1/01

Steven Marrocco for MMA Fighting recently published a soul-wrenching long-form piece on now-retired fighter Spencer Fisher, who is permanently disabled due to a career of thrilling fans. Fisher started fighting in 2002, signed with the UFC in 2005, and had his last fight in 2012. As Marrocco details, the UFC kept paying him until the promotion was bought by WME-IMG (now Endeavor) in 2016. Since the release, Fisher's harrowing struggle has gotten far worse.

At the UFC on ABC 1 media day, UFC president Dana White was asked about it.

“Listen, we’re all learning every day about the brain injury stuff,” said White. “We’ve been investing in this [Lou] Ruvo Center to try to figure out more. We’re now interested in ... this thing just came out on ‘Real Sports’ about psychedelics, and we’ve actually reached out to the Johns Hopkins guys, and we’re diving into that.

“But listen, he’s not the first, and he’s definitely not going to be the last. This is a contact sport, and anybody who’s ever done this [while] younger, myself included, is dealing with brain issues. It’s just part of the gig.”

The simple fact is that playing sports at a competitive level for a long time is bad for you. If you swim competitively for a long time, you get bad shoulders. Play Jiu-Jitsu for a long time you get bad shoulders and a bad neck. Combat sports like boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, and MMA are at another level, because they are bad for your brain.

The UFC recently announced a five-year extension of its longstanding collaboration with Cleveland Clinic and its continued support of the Professional Athletes Brain Health Study. The multi-year commitment, supported by a $1 million contribution to the Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health in Las Vegas, ensures that research will continue to help determine the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma and factors that put certain individuals at higher risk of developing chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). Since joining the landmark study in 2011, UFC has committed more than $2 million via three rounds of financial support.

Clint Eastwood's Bill Munny character in The Unforgiven sums it up: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have." That's what CTE does, slowly.

h/t Simon Head and John Morgan for MMA Junkie

1/14/21 9:22 AM
1/18/04
Then do what you can to help him, you cold blooded fucker.
1/14/21 9:46 AM
7/10/12

“myself included”

1/14/21 9:55 AM
11/8/08
Son of Neckbone - Then do what you can to help him, you cold blooded fucker.

What have you done to help him? So much easier to tell other people to do things instead of making the effort yourself, right?

1/14/21 10:32 AM
7/2/09
JoeHurley - 

What have you done to help him? So much easier to tell other people to do things instead of making the effort yourself, right?

Son of Neckbone probably didn't get rich off of other people's health.
1/14/21 10:33 AM
12/26/19

Damn, boxercise has some long lasting effects. I hope Dana is OK.

1/14/21 10:45 AM
1/1/01

Such a serious issue that the UFC has committed over $3 million spanning over a decade to it..... Lol Dana spent $1 mil on his sons 16th birthday party alone.

1/14/21 10:53 AM
1/1/01
JoeHurley -

I'm trying to figure out how this made sense in your head. So anytime someone wonders why a company isn't doing more to help a former employee that got injured while working for them they can't say anything about that company unless they personally are helping out that employee first even if they have zero attachment to said employee and just read an article about them.

Edited: 1/14/21 11:17 AM
11/8/08
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

I'm trying to figure out how this made sense in your head. So anytime someone wonders why a company isn't doing more to help a former employee that got injured while working for them they can't say anything about that company unless they personally are helping out that employee first even if they have zero attachment to said employee and just read an article about them.

His comment and tone were totally different than what you wrote, but you already know that. If you dont understand  why hypocrisy annoys people then I dont know what to tell you. 

1/14/21 11:08 AM
6/9/16
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

This is clearly a case where Dana should be sympathetic and get out front by indicating what the UFC can and will do to help when permanent brain trauma exists, even in the dome of an "independent contractor" who has fought his fucking ass off for the UFC on multiple occasions. 

1/14/21 11:16 AM
10/9/10

I mean BLAF could have been more sympathetic (didn’t watch the full vid), but I just read that the UFC was paying Spencer for a few years after his retirement. What other fight organization would even go that far? This isn’t a police officer or teacher job, it’s being a fighter. I love Spencer but you’re responsible for your future. I really feel bad for him, it’s a shitty situation. But you can’t blame Dana and the UFC for Spencer’s CTE even after they went out of their way to take care of the guy. You fuckers take any chance you get to shit on BLAF and the UFC. 

1/14/21 11:18 AM
10/9/10
SteelyRes211 -
JoeHurley - 

Well he got rich while at the same time helping to build a sport and getting other people rich. Are we having this very conversation today, right now, if he didn’t do that? 

1/14/21 11:20 AM
11/8/08
Taco Muncher -
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

This is clearly a case where Dana should be sympathetic and get out front by indicating what the UFC can and will do to help when permanent brain trauma exists, even in the dome of an "independent contractor" who has fought his fucking ass off for the UFC on multiple occasions. 

He can't do that because then it opens them up to lawsuits and legal issues. If the company takes care of one fighter then they would be liable for hundreds more. He got around that by putting Spencer on the company payroll gor doing nothing but that was before the company was sold. He lost a lot of power when that happened.

1/14/21 11:24 AM
11/8/08
MasterofMartialArts -
SteelyRes211 -
JoeHurley - 

Well he got rich while at the same time helping to build a sport and getting other people rich. Are we having this very conversation today, right now, if he didn’t do that? 

Why do people think Dana White is the UFC? Nobody asks Roger Goodell to pay ex NFL players out of his own pocket or complain about him making 20 million a year while most players dont make that much. MMA fans are pretty delusional and confused when it comes to Dana White.

1/14/21 11:38 AM
12/28/12
JoeHurley -
Taco Muncher -
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

He can't do that because then it opens them up to lawsuits and legal issues. If the company takes care of one fighter then they would be liable for hundreds more. He got around that by putting Spencer on the company payroll gor doing nothing but that was before the company was sold. He lost a lot of power when that happened.

Oh well, I guess Dana's hands are tied here! Gotta get back to sledding down his driveway anyhow

1/14/21 11:56 AM
1/18/04
JoeHurley - 
MasterofMartialArts -
SteelyRes211 -
JoeHurley - 

Why do people think Dana White is the UFC? Nobody asks Roger Goodell to pay ex NFL players out of his own pocket or complain about him making 20 million a year while most players dont make that much. MMA fans are pretty delusional and confused when it comes to Dana White.

Joe-

No idea why you're being such a loose asshole, but I am friends with Spencer and do help him with love and support which is all I've got.

I'm not the face of the multibillion dollar company that profited at his destruction then shamelessly gave him hush money to not mention his CTE, and had crooked physicians hide and skew his medical records to avoid a lawsuit and bad press.

And no, of course DFW isn't the UFC, but he is the pointman and could have handled this better in every way. You of all people should know this.
1/14/21 12:04 PM
2/19/18
JoeHurley -

He's also not the millionaire CEO/part owner of the company, lol

1/14/21 12:05 PM
11/8/08
Son of Neckbone -
JoeHurley - 
MasterofMartialArts -
SteelyRes211 -
JoeHurley - 

Joe-

No idea why you're being such a loose asshole, but I am friends with Spencer and do help him with love and support which is all I've got.

I'm not the face of the multibillion dollar company that profited at his destruction then shamelessly gave him hush money to not mention his CTE, and had crooked physicians hide and skew his medical records to avoid a lawsuit and bad press.

And no, of course DFW isn't the UFC, but he is the pointman and could have handled this better in every way. You of all people should know this.

Lol. I'm not even going to bother taking you seriously. Have a nice day man.

1/14/21 12:11 PM
8/15/17

I think Spencer Fisher hit the nail on the head when he said "when you're young you don't care cause you have dreams to chase" paraphrasing. Everybody knows getting hit in the head is bad for you when they get into the sport but I don't think anybody really knows how bad it is till they have to live through it. It sucks and it's a sad story but unfortunately it's part of the sport.

Itd be nice if the ufc continued to help him out, it's great they were in the first place. I don't think they can do that for everybody who comes out with long term problems though.

1/14/21 1:59 PM
8/20/03

I think that in the last few years a lot of gyms and athletes have at least gotten out of the practice of "gym wars" when training and that's a good thing.

So many accidents and accumulated trauma from training that went on in preparation for fights that didn't need to happen.

That all builds up too.

1/14/21 2:14 PM
10/1/16
KhabibWinsTheRematch - 

Damn, boxercise has some long lasting effects. I hope Dana is OK.

LOL.
1/14/21 2:24 PM
1/2/20

GOtta  think, as someone else mentioned on the other thread, how you train has more to do with this than anything and at miletech most would agree they went way too hard and too often. is ufc really responsible for what happens in the training room or is that more on you and your coaches/training partners?

1/14/21 2:26 PM
9/23/07

Sounds like Dana under ZUFFA was supporting him. 

But they sold the UFC so Ari Emanual is the real boss boss now. 

1/14/21 2:27 PM
10/1/16
JoeHurley - 
Taco Muncher -
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

UFC is worth billions. They can certainly afford to create a fund of some kind to help fighters who made them worth billions.

Are you Dana's son? You white knight him more than anyone on here.
1/14/21 2:31 PM
11/8/08
Flavorful -
JoeHurley - 
Taco Muncher -
Whambo -
JoeHurley -

UFC is worth billions. They can certainly afford to create a fund of some kind to help fighters who made them worth billions.

Are you Dana's son? You white knight him more than anyone on here.

Are you a jock sniffing fanboy? You're white knighting pretty hard for the "fighters who made them worth billions".