UnderGround Forums Dan Hardy comments on Izzy's post-fight antics

Edited: 29 days ago
1/1/01

Israel Adesanya destroyed Paulo Costa in the main event of UFC 253, and pretended to hump him, before dashing to his opponent's corner and miming masturbating and ejaculating on them. UFC commentator and hopefully not former fighter Dan Hardy was not impressed, as he made clear at a media scrum on Fighting Island in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday.

“It was crass, is the truth,” said Hardy .”It was unnecessary and it was crass. It’s not good for the sport to be seeing those things, but at the same time we see a lot of the superstars they stand out, they create headlines because of the thing that they do. He was urinating on the Octagon in his UFC debut. We shouldn’t be surprised by these things.

“There’s a lot of animosity between these guys and we do act out when we’re in these scenarios. When your adrenaline’s up, you’ve just won the fight, you’ve got all this energy. How many times do you see people doing terrible dances after fights and stuff? I’ve done it myself. You don’t know what you’re saying in interviews because your adrenaline’s going, you’re just ‘blllaaaaah!’ It happens. Sometimes it’s difficult to keep control of yourselves in those circumstances, but that’s when you see someone like that and you kind of think, well, it wasn’t in the spirit of martial arts and really that’s what we want to be seeing, to represent the sport as a whole. But ultimately, these people have to be their individual selves.”

Hardy also discussed Costa's oddly ineffective performance.

“If you’re a three-round fighter and you’re fighting over five rounds, you may not be able to elevate your conditioning to five rounds," he reasoned. "You may just have to manage that energy system. So starting hard and going fast for three rounds and then having to fight when you’re gassed and you’re trying to defend yourself against Adesanya is not the smart thing to do. So if I was in Costa’s corner I would have probably said the same thing: Take it easy the first round, don’t give him too much to search on, don’t give him too much research, don’t give him too much to kind of figure out and set you up. But unfortunately, I just don’t think that Costa had the operating system against Izzy to be able to understand what was going on when he was in the pocket.

“You remember when Anderson Silva came into the sport, it was like witchcraft. He’s in there and people just don’t know what to do. We’ve got guys like Chris Leben that come crashing forward and knocking people out, couldn’t lay a hand on Anderson Silva, and there’s something very disconcerting about that. When you know that you normally close distance and hurt people pretty quickly and you can’t touch them. I think it was twelve strikes that he landed in the total fight. It was just a spectacular performance from Izzy, he manages range so well. It must be very much like fighting Khabib. You can’t really understand what his wrestling’s like until he’s got his hands on you. I think when you stand in front of Israel Adesanya, you can’t really understand what that’s like until it’s there. And when it’s there, it’s too late.”

h/t Alexander K. Lee for MMA Fighting

3/22/16
Shut up Dan.

Used to like the guy but his self entitled attitude has made me sour on him.

Izzy is still a dbag tho for that humping. I still laughed tho
29 days ago
9/23/07

Who gives a shit what dan hardy thinks.

29 days ago
2/14/11
Don J - Shut up Dan.

It was on this day that Dan and Don’s relationship soured.

It was beyond repair, finished, much to the dismay of no one.

29 days ago
1/1/01

There was no "miming masturbating". He audibly narrated the whole thing for us.

29 days ago
10/25/06

Guy is a degenerate. A low life. Makes you appreciate guys like GSP and Fedor even more.

29 days ago
1/1/01
" He was urinating on the Octagon in his UFC debut. We shouldn’t be surprised by these things."

Can someone elaborate on this point?!?!
29 days ago
1/1/01

The violence and acts like this can attract a kind of crowd, at the same time it can make a lot of people stop watching mma partially or completely. I was watching with my girlfriend and she thought it was disgusting and thuggish, she got up and went to do other things at that point...

We have to be honest though, a lot of fighters would be commiting serious crimes if they did not have any success in mma. Heck, some do it anyway.

29 days ago
4/22/20
Li Mu Bai - 

The violence and acts like this can attract a kind of crowd, at the same time it can make a lot of people stop watching mma partially or completely. I was watching with my girlfriend and she thought it was disgusting and thuggish, she got up and went to do other things at that point...

We have to be honest though, a lot of fighters would be commiting serious crimes if they did not have any success in mma. Heck, some do it anyway.

"she got up and went to do other things at that point..."

To be fair to her, that was the end of the main event and the ppv fight card was finished.
29 days ago
4/11/10
kneedy -

Guy is a degenerate. A low life. Makes you appreciate guys like GSP and Fedor even more.

GSP is the gold standard

29 days ago
5/9/06

I enjoyed watching Dan as a fighter. He was talented and fun to watch. 

not a fan of his commentating, and after he screamed like a little girl on live tv, I don’t know why we are listening to Dan about anything at this point. 

29 days ago
4/22/07
Morgz -

not a fan of his commentating, and after he screamed like a little girl on live tv, I don’t know why we are listening to Dan about anything at this point. 

Agreed

29 days ago
7/16/13
Morgz -

This

29 days ago
9/3/14
Brockback Mountain -

Who gives a shit what dan hardy thinks.

This

Dan Hardy is a tool

29 days ago
12/26/19
Dead President -
kneedy -

GSP is the gold standard

GSP juiced his brains out to gain an advantage over his opponents. He's no role model 

29 days ago
8/2/11
Don J - Shut up Dan.

Or Chael? Or Colby? Fucken come on with the double standards

29 days ago
7/29/13

My brain thought of Greg Hardy for some reason. I was like damn I didn't expect that from him. 

1/1/01
Liyon - " He was urinating on the Octagon in his UFC debut. We shouldn't be surprised by these things."

Can someone elaborate on this point?!?!
29 days ago
1/29/20

Raise your hand if you care what Dan Hardy has to say

29 days ago
1/1/12
KhabibWinsTheRematch -
Dead President -
kneedy -

GSP is the gold standard

GSP juiced his brains out to gain an advantage over his opponents. He's no role model 

You mean the same gsp that was tested repeatedly but never popped hot? That gsp?

29 days ago
1/1/01
Smsgoat - 

Raise your hand if you care what Dan Hardy has to say

I think he's one of the most insightful minds in the sport, and the rare figure who referenced a moment that made a whole lot of people go whaaaaaaat the f**************ck.

29 days ago
1/1/01
ThatsHowIRoll -
Don J - Shut up Dan.

Or Chael? Or Colby? Fucken come on with the double standards

Try to stay on topic. 

29 days ago
4/29/17

A lot of people still hate on Dan. You all tell him to get over the Herb incident. But some of you are still salty because of what he said. 

29 days ago
4/21/12

If asked whether I give a shit what Hardy has to say about virtually anything, my answer would be: No, not really.

If asked who I think is the best commenting team the UFC has, I'd say: Hardy and Gooden.

When UFC has a UK card, it's great to hear those two announce the fights. No third guy needed. 

29 days ago
2/23/19
jiujitsulife1 -

A lot of people still hate on Dan. You all tell him to get over the Herb incident. But some of you are still salty because of what he said. 

This.