UnderGround Forums Dan Hooker says Dustin was 182lbs for fight.

1/17/21 12:58 PM
11/10/16

Dan Hooker in an interview says he saw Dustin Poirier pre fight weight before they fought and it was 182lbs (83kg).

Conor has sturggled to get to 170lbs when he was fighting at 170 (weighted in at 168 for a Diaz fight). Could Dustin have a 10lbs + weight advantage over Conor?

Skip to around 9:40 in this video for the Conor v Dustin chat. 

1/17/21 3:09 PM
1/1/01
He does look pretty big at lw not sure about 182 though, whats his source?
1/17/21 3:16 PM
3/4/10
Wasa-B - He does look pretty big at lw not sure about 182 though, whats his source?

Dustin said on Theo Von's podcast, recently, that he cuts from ~180lbs. Also, he'll eventually fight at WW before his career is over. 

1/17/21 3:16 PM
3/19/05
Charliemma - 

Dan Hooker in an interview says he saw Dustin Poirier pre fight weight before they fought and it was 182lbs (83kg).

Conor has sturggled to get to 170lbs when he was fighting at 170 (weighted in at 168 for a Diaz fight). Could Dustin have a 10lbs + weight advantage over Conor?

What? Where is your source McGregor has struggled to get to 170lbs.?

During his camp for Mayweather, his striking coach Owen Roddy (DURING camp) said McGregor was north of 175lbs. His camp+media like to play it up as if he's some tiny person (especially against Diaz). He is not.
1/17/21 3:37 PM
11/10/16
ClydeErwinBarret -
Charliemma - 

What? Where is your source McGregor has struggled to get to 170lbs.?

During his camp for Mayweather, his striking coach Owen Roddy (DURING camp) said McGregor was north of 175lbs. His camp+media like to play it up as if he's some tiny person (especially against Diaz). He is not.

Conor never cut any weight at all  and weighed in at 168lbs for UFC 196. 

Not sure what he walks around at these days. 

1/17/21 3:39 PM
11/5/19
JitzInMyPants - 
Wasa-B - He does look pretty big at lw not sure about 182 though, whats his source?

Dustin said on Theo Von's podcast, recently, that he cuts from ~180lbs. Also, he'll eventually fight at WW before his career is over. 

So he begins his training camp from 180?

Or cuts from 180 the week before the fight?

Or he was 182 in the cage?
1/17/21 3:45 PM
9/20/19

They need same day weigh ins to nip this shit in the bud. Having 30 hours to rest, replenish and rehydrate is the only thing making these cuts doable. 

Edited: 1/17/21 3:49 PM
11/10/16
Corn Pop -
JitzInMyPants - 

Hooker said Dustin was 182 when he was weighed by the UFC before he stepped in the cage to fight.   So put on 27lbs from offical weigh-in to fight night.  Not bad going if true.. 

1/17/21 3:48 PM
11/10/16
HillboFrateTrane -

They need same day weigh ins to nip this shit in the bud. Having 30 hours to rest, replenish and rehydrate is the only thing making these cuts doable. 

Problem with that is that fighters will always push the limits and be going in the cage dehydrated, which is a huge problem for brain injuries. 

1/17/21 4:27 PM
3/4/10
Corn Pop -
JitzInMyPants - 

From what I remember, Dustin cuts from ~180lbs to get down to 155. I don't think he was implying that he weighs ~180lbs come fight night. 

1/17/21 4:37 PM
11/10/16
JitzInMyPants -
Corn Pop -
JitzInMyPants - 

From what I remember, Dustin cuts from ~180lbs to get down to 155. I don't think he was implying that he weighs ~180lbs come fight night. 

Hooker said Dustin was 182 on the UFC scales at the arena on fight night. 

1/17/21 9:33 PM
3/10/11

If Dustin weighed 182 pounds when he started his cut he would be cutting roughly 14.6% of his bodyweight to cut down to 155.42.

Its not unheard of for fighters to cut close 15% of their weight but unlikely and not a good idea. The chances that Dustin would be able to put back on 12kg or 27 pounds of water weight in 24-36 hours is for sure possible, but again its a lot to ask for a lighter fighter, bigger guys do that often but they would be cutting a smaller percentage of bodyweight.

Its possible Dustin was fully clothed and had just eaten a big meal when Dan Hooker saw him weigh in.

At the end of the day its for sure possible that Dan is telling the truth and is right. Its happened before with fighters cutting that much weight and putting back on that much water. I just think it sounds extreme and overblown.

Also with no evidence, just Dan Hookers word. I would take it with a grain of salt. Like my water for the electrolytes.

1/17/21 9:38 PM
11/5/19
SportScience - 

If Dustin weighed 182 pounds when he started his cut he would be cutting roughly 14.6% of his bodyweight to cut down to 155.42.

Its not unheard of for fighters to cut close 15% of their weight but unlikely and not a good idea. The chances that Dustin would be able to put back on 12kg or 27 pounds of water weight in 24-36 hours is for sure possible, but again its a lot to ask for a lighter fighter, bigger guys do that often but they would be cutting a smaller percentage of bodyweight.

Its possible Dustin was fully clothed and had just eaten a big meal when Dan Hooker saw him weigh in.

At the end of the day its for sure possible that Dan is telling the truth and is right. Its happened before with fighters cutting that much weight and putting back on that much water. I just think it sounds extreme and overblown.

Also with no evidence, just Dan Hookers word. I would take it with a grain of salt. Like my water for the electrolytes.

For one of uncle creepy’s title fights he posted here the night before the fight. He’d weighed in at 125 and posted a pic like 6-7 hours later and he was 151 I believe. For sure over 150. So he’d gained 20% of his weight in that amount of time.
1/17/21 9:41 PM
3/10/11

For reference and to get a good idea of how much water 27 pounds is. A 1lt of water = 1kg so dustin is putting on 12lt or 12kg of water.

Now not all the water we drink is absorbed, also the human body can only absorb a certain amount of water per hour. So in 24-36 hours Dustin would be drinking roughly 12-18lts or 12-18kg of water. Mind melting.

12kg = 27pounds
12lt = 3.2353 gallons
18lt = 4.75 gallons

1/17/21 9:48 PM
11/10/16
SportScience -

Yep, depending on if their is rules around pre-fight weigh-ins,  he could have been fully clothed and even had his shoes on, phone and wallet in pocket etc.. 

Would be so interesting for the UFC to film and post the fighters on their scales on fight night.  We get every other stat and metric around the fighters, why not fight night weight?   Is it because it  the cut and re-gains would look bad to the general public? 

1/17/21 10:04 PM
3/10/11
Charliemma -
SportScience -

Yep, depending on if their is rules around pre-fight weigh-ins,  he could have been fully clothed and even had his shoes on, phone and wallet in pocket etc.. 

Would be so interesting for the UFC to film and post the fighters on their scales on fight night.  We get every other stat and metric around the fighters, why not fight night weight?   Is it because it  the cut and re-gains would look bad to the general public? 

100% that is one reason. The UFC does not want people talking about how bad weight cutting is any more than people already do talk about it.

I imagine fighters also like to keep this a secret. Most pros I know do not talk about their weight unless you are close with them.

1/17/21 10:11 PM
11/10/16
SportScience -
Charliemma -
SportScience -

100% that is one reason. The UFC does not want people talking about how bad weight cutting is any more than people already do talk about it.

I imagine fighters also like to keep this a secret. Most pros I know do not talk about their weight unless you are close with them.

Well the UFC clearly want to know what they are going into the cage weighing, or they would not be doing it, and its almost never talked about, never even heard Dana talk about it, and he talks about everything. 

1/17/21 10:11 PM
11/10/05
SportScience - 
Charliemma -
SportScience -

they should be maintaining this data for scientific reasons though.
1/18/21 3:02 AM
12/14/09

I wonder what Hooker weighed? He is a big dude for 155.

1/18/21 7:29 AM
1/10/13

Conor himself said he had a very tough cut the last time he had to get down to 155lbs. He said his weight i better this camp. When John McCarthey asked him how much he weighed right now, Conor replied "the weight is good. We are almost where we need to be." I don't think he means 155lbs  its where he needs to be to make that cut. I'm sure Conor was well over 170lbs and possibly even probably over 180lbs prior to the begining of camp. Conor is not a small guy at 155lbs.

1/18/21 8:07 AM
9/20/19
Charliemma -
HillboFrateTrane -

Problem with that is that fighters will always push the limits and be going in the cage dehydrated, which is a huge problem for brain injuries. 

Then have minimum hydration levels. 

1/18/21 8:14 AM
2/9/09

180 doesn't surprise me, Dustin said he's having trouble making 55 and was thinking about it move to 70 about a year ago

1/18/21 9:03 AM
7/8/16
Charliemma -
Corn Pop -
JitzInMyPants - 

Hooker said Dustin was 182 when he was weighed by the UFC before he stepped in the cage to fight.   So put on 27lbs from offical weigh-in to fight night.  Not bad going if true.. 

Yeah that sound legit. I had a fight I weighed 135 for weigh ins and 157 when I started warming up in the back. Plus if you saw Dustin as a teenager he was pretty chunky kid so I figure he is a fat boy at heart so doesn’t surprise me.

Edited: 1/18/21 10:02 AM
12/9/02

conor struggled to get up to 170 in two weeks after fine tuning his body for a 155 lb fight, bout theres no way that dude walks around at less than 190

1/18/21 10:17 AM
1/1/01

27lbs without an IV?

Wolf tickets lol