UnderGround Forums Dana: Conor/Dustin not for title, Khabib to return

6 days ago
8/3/11

UFC President Dana White provided an update on the lightweight division Tuesday night in Las Vegas, and he still believes Khabib Nurmagomedov will look to go 30-0.

On Saturday, Nurmagomedov took to Instagram and revealed – despite announcing his retirement following his submission win over Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 – that he was recently tested by USADA for the 47th time in his career. That led to questions about the seriousness of the retirement announcement from the lightweight champion of the world.

“I didn’t know that happened,” White told reporters about Nurmagomedov’s test in a video posted by The Mac Life. “I told you guys that I think he’s gonna go to [30-0]. If he’s still testing, why the hell would you want to test if you’re not gonna fight?

“He hasn’t committed, but I feel like he’s gonna. I’m not really pushing him. We talked about it and he just fought. Let him take some time, spend some time with his family, spend the holidays. There’s no rush.”

Although it hasn’t been officially announced, all signs are pointing toward Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier headlining UFC 257 on Jan. 23, as MMA Fighting previously reported. White said the plan is to have that event in Abu Dhabi, but he was non-committal about whether it would be a one-time stop or another multi-week run on Fight Island.

In the end, if McGregor and Poirier ultimately square off again in the octagon to kick off the 2021 pay-per-view schedule, the lightweight matchup will be simply be a rematch, according to White. A title will not be up for grabs because White strongly believes Nurmagomedov, who technically is still the reigning 155-pound champion, will join the list of fighters whose retirements didn’t stick.

“No, [it won’t be for the title],” White explained. “Khabib’s gonna fight (again). I believe he’s gonna fight. It’s not for the title.”

6 days ago
12/3/02

What about momma?

6 days ago
2/2/20
crazydave -

What about momma?

maybe momma respect poppa's last wish (if thats true) & lets Habib do 1 more

6 days ago
12/3/02

6 days ago
1/1/01

Dana is so weird. Hes found any excuse to give out interim belts in the past including having them when the champ is scheduled to fight just months later. In this case the champ has actually retired with no plans for a future bout and he wont use an interim belt. 

Edited: 6 days ago
8/22/14
Whambo -

Dana is so weird. Hes found any excuse to give out interim belts in the past including having them when the champ is scheduled to fight just months later. In this case the champ has actually retired with no plans for a future bout and he wont use an interim belt. 

Must have something to do with money I'm guessing.  They'll get PPV points but it must have something else to do with it. Like negoting for a fight as opposed to a title fight 

6 days ago
12/31/10
bungee up -
Whambo -

Must have something to do with money I'm guessing.  They'll get PPV points but it must have something else to do with it. Like negoting for a fight as opposed to a title fight 

Is about power. He is having issues with Conor and doesnt want him going around with a belt doing whatever for another year.

If he makes the Conor-khabib money fight then yeah sure, but if not why risk it.

6 days ago
5/30/15
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

Is about power. He is having issues with Conor and doesnt want him going around with a belt doing whatever for another year.

If he makes the Conor-khabib money fight then yeah sure, but if not why risk it.

Maybe it's because he thinks that if Conor gets the title again, he will disappear. 

6 days ago
3/15/10

Or maybe...just maybe, Conor doesn’t deserve shit at 155 and even if Khabib was done for good Conor shouldn’t have an instant title match in the division.

6 days ago
5/7/10
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Or maybe what he says is true- that khabib will be back so no interim champ?

If you are taking anything he says at face value you are already two steps behind. 

6 days ago
5/15/15
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

This. Conor failed at the highest level after absolutely going mad for a few months. Being fast tracked is never happening for him again..

6 days ago
5/9/06
Gartlin -
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

Maybe it's because he thinks that if Conor gets the title again, he will disappear. 

Like Khabib retiring?

6 days ago
6/3/11
godstriker -
crazydave -

What about momma?

maybe momma respect poppa's last wish (if thats true) & lets Habib do 1 more

Im sure Mom wouldn't be mad with another 10 million. They could buy half the country and make Allah proud by suppressing more women. His retirement was always BS. Khabib is a huge drama queen. I'm still bummed about the Gaethje fight. Fuck Allah

6 days ago
3/13/10

6 days ago
3/13/10

There is no RUSH

6 days ago
1/1/01

Mommaaaa, just killed a man....

6 days ago
5/30/15
Morgz -
Gartlin -
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

Like Khabib retiring?

Did Khabib retire after he got the belt? Did Khabib actually defend his belt? 

6 days ago
9/19/13

Conor runs through Poirier impressively, legitimizing him.

Khabib returns for the Conor rematch. Loses rematch. Retires.

Conor now champion again with only win against Khabib. Becomes certified legend.

6 days ago
12/26/19

Makes sense. In reality, neither guy deserves a fucking title fight.

6 days ago
4/7/16

"Spend the holidays"....

5 days ago
10/8/07

I'm shocked Dana didn't immediately jump all over the opportunity to put Conor in a title fight, the second Khabib announced his retirement. Whether Khabib is actually retired or not, a few years ago they would have given Conor anything.

5 days ago
5/9/06
Gartlin -
Morgz -
Gartlin -
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

Like Khabib retiring?

Not really where I was going with that. No, of course not. 

5 days ago
11/30/11

Only one person left for Khabib and that's Tony. We all know it.

5 days ago
9/22/11

Khabib slaughtered everyone. No rematch makes sense,he is streaks ahead of everyone. Gsp or usman should be number 30.

Wahhh what about momma...time lessens the pain of death. Khabib and mumsy will heal and he will fight again.

4 days ago
5/30/15
Morgz -
Gartlin -
Morgz -
Gartlin -
luctaro -
bungee up -
Whambo -

Like Khabib retiring?

Not really where I was going with that. No, of course not. 

What I was saying was that by not giving Conor an immediate title shot he would have more incentive to fight more than once. If he gets a title right away there's a good chance he's gone again. Less if he just gets a W.