UnderGround Forums Dana: I am forcing Joe Louzon to retire

10/21/19 1:05 AM
3/2/09
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
Mountain Medic -
JOESONDO -

How can he force him to retire? He can release him but make him retire? Shouldn't be a promoter's choice. 

Shelf

You might be right but I hope not. That would be a real dirt bag move if Joe wants fight again.

Loved watching Joe last night, he didn’t jump out of the pocket every time his opponent through something at him. He stuck in there and through his shots back and boxed beautifully last night. If more guys fought like that the UFC would still be pulling down solid ratings.

If the UFC doesn’t want Joe fighting for them anymore and he still wants to fight I hope they let him go somewhere else cause I’d still enjoy watching his fights.

They are required by contract to offer him a fight within a certain time period, if they don't he's free.  So no they can't simply just shelf him. 

Ok so they could shelf him for a year or 2 at the tale end of his career but not the rest of his life. Thanks for the unneeded clarification there.

The point I was trying to make is talk of shelving  him or forced retirement shouldn’t be discussed right now, should be entirely up to him.

The timeframe isn't close to 2 years. You were wrong 

10/21/19 1:31 AM
11/20/05
Target_the_Gash - 
bucker96 -
RichardSteel -
evh -

Lauzon is not a competitive fighter. He went out on an easy win and should enjoy that. It’s time to move on.

I'd love to know your definition of competitive if a winning record in the highest league on the planet doesn't qualify.

Wait, are we still saying that? The UFC is the most competitive, highest league on the planet? 
I think they are more entertainment based than competition based. Highest league on the planet could be ONE these days

One of the last ONE events I saw was literally held in a curtained off room. There was a ring surrounded by black curtains with no crowd at all, they were basically holding fights on a sound stage so they could tape it and make a TV show. It was not even an event, it was just a fight show getting taped in a warehouse.

As Jack Salck pointed out recently they don't even seem to have any sponsors anymore. ONE is a mirage, a facade.

And in their last mandatory corporate filings, the evidence was that they intend to focus on the commercial barter segment of their business over the sports and entertainment side.
10/21/19 1:33 AM
11/20/05
If I was Bellator I'd make a big play for him. Since he just had a strong win, it could counter the narrative that they just pick up guys who can't hack it anymore in UFC.
10/21/19 1:38 AM
10/9/10

I don’t know. It’s hard to say a fighter should retire after a win. But I don’t think it should be BLAFs choice. Joe seems okay but he has taken a TON of damage. Just the Guida finish and Gritstits fights alone were more shots than Id like to see him take. 

10/21/19 1:41 AM
10/9/10
nasthefad -

Some of you guys don’t give a shaky about the fighters.. clearly joe and Dana both know something and Dana knows it could get worse if he gets knocked out again.

yes he’s 35.. don’t mean shit when you put in fight age.. Big Nog at 35 looked like a grandfather

Wanderlei Silva at 32 looked like fucking Darth Vader without his mask on 

10/21/19 4:22 AM
7/28/11
MasterofMartialArts -
nasthefad -

Some of you guys don’t give a shaky about the fighters.. clearly joe and Dana both know something and Dana knows it could get worse if he gets knocked out again.

yes he’s 35.. don’t mean shit when you put in fight age.. Big Nog at 35 looked like a grandfather

Wanderlei Silva at 32 looked like fucking Darth Vader without his mask on 

LOL

10/21/19 4:27 AM
4/16/15

One of the best ufc debuts ever.

would love to see joe go out on a good win like that.

seeing him get koed is awful, he’s a legend he doesn’t have to prove shit to anybody.

10/21/19 4:52 AM
9/2/10

After that performance, why?

10/21/19 8:45 AM
8/15/17
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
Mountain Medic -
JOESONDO -

How can he force him to retire? He can release him but make him retire? Shouldn't be a promoter's choice. 

Shelf

You might be right but I hope not. That would be a real dirt bag move if Joe wants fight again.

Loved watching Joe last night, he didn’t jump out of the pocket every time his opponent through something at him. He stuck in there and through his shots back and boxed beautifully last night. If more guys fought like that the UFC would still be pulling down solid ratings.

If the UFC doesn’t want Joe fighting for them anymore and he still wants to fight I hope they let him go somewhere else cause I’d still enjoy watching his fights.

They are required by contract to offer him a fight within a certain time period, if they don't he's free.  So no they can't simply just shelf him. 

Ok so they could shelf him for a year or 2 at the tale end of his career but not the rest of his life. Thanks for the unneeded clarification there.

The point I was trying to make is talk of shelving  him or forced retirement shouldn’t be discussed right now, should be entirely up to him.

Nah I don’t think I was. The length of time doesn’t even matter any length of time is still putting someone on the shelf. You’re picking a meaningless detail to start a meaningless argument over, but I’ll bite, tell me how long is possible?

10/21/19 9:02 AM
9/5/12
bucker96 -
RichardSteel -
evh -

Lauzon is not a competitive fighter. He went out on an easy win and should enjoy that. It’s time to move on.

I'd love to know your definition of competitive if a winning record in the highest league on the planet doesn't qualify.

Wait, are we still saying that? The UFC is the most competitive, highest league on the planet? 
I think they are more entertainment based than competition based. Highest league on the planet could be ONE these days

This idiot

10/21/19 9:09 AM
1/1/01
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
Mountain Medic -
JOESONDO -

Shelf

Nah I don’t think I was. The length of time doesn’t even matter any length of time is still putting someone on the shelf. You’re picking a meaningless detail to start a meaningless argument over, but I’ll bite, tell me how long is possible?

The point is that Dana cannot force Joe to retire. He is actually obligated contractually to offer him a fight or release him. 

Edited: 10/21/19 9:45 AM
8/15/17
Jump Kick -
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
BlueDream -
ThePianist -
Mountain Medic -
JOESONDO -

Shelf

The point is that Dana cannot force Joe to retire. He is actually obligated contractually to offer him a fight or release him. 

I hope that’s true, it seems logical that he can’t stop him. Dana could just be bullshitting, he often does, but I’d also imagine he knows what he can do better than some guy on the ug.

I don’t know the exact details on UFC contracts. I hope you guys are right and I hope Joe gets to do whatever he wants to do in the future.

Edit: I do know he’s contractually obligated to offer him a fight but not sure of the time frame of that.

10/21/19 9:52 AM
11/19/03

Pretty sure a few years back, Joe stated that his son's battle with cancer had depleted much of his career earnings.  That performance was spectacular saturday night though I dont know if it is repeatable.  I'd love to see him stay on with the company in some capacity much the way they have done with Forrest at the Performance Institute.  Joe is a smart guy and will succeed in whatever he does.  Maybe Kirik can slide him some money to make the UG Great Again.

10/21/19 9:52 AM
8/15/17

The more I think about it Dana probably can’t do much to stop him for long. I don’t get why he’d even say it. I was probably wrong.

10/21/19 10:28 AM
4/2/08

Joe is a smart guy and obviously I cannot understand the competitiveness these guys have inside of them, but I think a dominating win like that does more harm than good.

Its makes him think he can still do it but versus better guys.

And the truth is at 35, and given he was coming off 3 straight losses, its highly unlikely thats the case.

Wish him the best no matter what he decides.

10/21/19 11:32 AM
12/9/13

Dana gave BJ, ten second chances

10/21/19 12:30 PM
5/14/06

How can Dana force Joe Lauzon, or any other fighter for that matter, to retire?  Has Dana ever heard of Bellator, the PFL, ONE FC, I could go on and on?

30 days ago
3/13/18

Dana cares for joe, and his family, I think. I’m sure it was just a conversation with joe. Dana ain’t gonna let him starve

30 days ago
7/27/13

Joe can fight out the rest of his contract with the UFC or be released. There's no "forcing someone to retire". Too much yolk has gone to the egg's head

30 days ago
8/31/18
brune90 -

Pretty sure a few years back, Joe stated that his son's battle with cancer had depleted much of his career earnings.  That performance was spectacular saturday night though I dont know if it is repeatable.  I'd love to see him stay on with the company in some capacity much the way they have done with Forrest at the Performance Institute.  Joe is a smart guy and will succeed in whatever he does.  Maybe Kirik can slide him some money to make the UG Great Again.

Time to stop perpetuating the UFC taking care of guys after their career bs. It's basically only forrest now. 

If chuck lidell ain't getting taken care of. Nobody in that company should expect it. Or do favors for the UFC thinking that it will be returned.

Dana should've went to bat for chucks job to. Shameful.

30 days ago
10/17/13
There’s always Bellator.