UnderGround Forums DFW: Holding UFC 249 is not about money

Edited: 3/28/20 1:04 PM
1/1/01

UFC president Dana White is hellbent on staging UFC 249 somewhere from Florida to Dubai, amidst a global shutdown of gatherings to slow the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, and discussed it recently with Yahoo Sport's Kevin Iole. White says he can run the entire card with under 100 people, but acknowledges there may be less than 12 fights.

“One thing I do know is I'm not wrong,” said White, as transcribed by Dan Wetzel for Yahoo Sports. “I know I'm right. I know it's the right thing to do.”

“I promise you this. I am going to die someday. I don’t know how. I don’t know from what. But if it's the coronavirus then what am I going to do? Let’s do it. Come on coronavirus.”

Iole then asked White about the potential impact on others.

“How long are we going to hide?” replied White. “Are we going to hide for months? Are we going to shut down the whole world for months? It’s crazy.”

In the meantime, White has sheltered in mansion for nearly two weeks.

“My house is built for this,” said White. “And financially I am OK too. I could do this forever. But this isn’t what we should be doing. We have to be responsible but we need to get out and figure this out. How do we protect the people who need to be protected, but get the rest of the people out there in the world back to normal? Let’s do what we do.”

White vows that he will be cageside at UFC 249, and says fighters have the option to decline.

“I'm doing this because it's what should be done,” said White. “It has nothing to do with the money. It’s about what needs to happen. Like I just told you, I can do [social distancing] forever. People need some normalcy again. We need somebody to be the first guy to step forward and say, ‘Come on guys, let’s snap back and get going.’ ”

“It’s happening. If you want to watch it, watch it. If you don’t, don’t.”

3/27/20 11:54 PM
3/5/15

If what he says is true then he's doing an admiral act imo. 

This could make a lot of people happy. 

I'm impressed.

3/27/20 11:58 PM
9/17/11

Then why isn't it free!? lol

3/28/20 12:12 AM
3/30/14

Its clear why him and trump are friends with that kind of logic

Sure they'll be around large groups of people, but only after every one is tested.  If they happen to contract the virus they have access to the best hospitals/doctors in the world.  In the meantime theyll be isolated in a mansion with nothing to worry about financially, even while social distancing their day to day life is better than most peoples vacations.  The only was this virus affects them is people having less disposable income 

If its not about money and you want to give back to the people so they can forget about everything for an evening then make the event free.  If you want to get people back to work earlier pay the fighters who had their bouts cancelled something/give them jobs they can do from home.  Have them watch old fights of theirs/do commentary on them and what was going on in their lives around that time.  They make some $, the UFC has more content for socila media/youtube that they make $ off anyway

This probably wasnt very articulate since I typed it quick but you get the idea

3/28/20 1:36 AM
3/18/14

It absolutely is about money but he's right

3/28/20 7:53 AM
12/28/04

"Holding UFC 249 is not about money"

LMFAO!!!

3/28/20 7:57 AM
7/16/14
knot eye -

I'm impressed.

The fight will be at sea?

3/28/20 9:39 AM
9/17/11

I obviously want to see the fight and it's an imprtant fight but, its NOT even close to an "admirable" act. lol Like I said, you can't claim "its' not about the money" when your'e making people that can barely pay their rent and bills...pay $60 for card. If BLAF was like, "This card is going to free for all the fans stuck in quarentine and I'm going to pay for out of my own pocket"...THAT's admirable.

3/28/20 10:26 AM
11/10/18

All businesses should just be free after they’re allowed to reopen lol. You guys are pretty funny. All businesses exist to make money. Dana White has always been full of shit, he’s a promoter, a white Don King. 
I’m glad they’re having the fights. I’m sure the fighters will be thrilled to get paid. As far as fans being able to afford it, that’s a personal choice. However, between unemployment and the government checks going out I think most people should be fine for April. Different story if we’re all not allowed to work in May as well. And as far as the virus I couldn’t care less if free adults choose to be exposed. This will be safer than going to the grocery store. At least everyone will be tested prior to the event. 

3/28/20 10:32 AM
5/6/16
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork - 

Exactly, If it's not about the money put it on espn and give the people something back.
3/28/20 10:40 AM
11/22/05
Money is definitely an element; however, I don't see how this one sells well with the epidemic going on. Who wants to throw down $60 (or is it $70 now? I have lost track) to watch a fight PPV when they don't know if their employer or state will shutdown tomorrow.

I want to see Khabib vs. Ferguson as badly as anyone but this needs to be a fight night card or just cancel it. PPVs should be scheduled once restaurants are back in service so fans can at least go to BWW to watch it, or watch with friends.
3/28/20 10:49 AM
9/19/13

It's 100% about money and the fact that WME is over leveraged to the point they can't afford to not have this fight this year.

3/28/20 11:02 AM
3/5/15
Yomarashi -
knot eye -

I'm impressed.

Aye matey, it might be on an aircraft carrier lol

Also, I don't think a PPV would sell particularly well. If Dana's being honest, this would be an ESPN/+ card.

3/28/20 11:06 AM
10/1/16
Sounds like he's setting us up.

Hey guys, we tried to move heaven and fucking earth for this card but the powers that be wouldn't let us do it. To make it up to you, we're going to put on the biggest card of all time, at the very first opportunity. Best of all, we're only going to charge two figures it. Just 99 dollars!

3/28/20 11:11 AM
1/2/06

I almost never post on the UG anymore and although I have bought over a hundred cards I have been away from the sport aside from the subscription service for a long time. 

Dana has my attention. I will buy whatever show he puts on. He has my full support and my wallet back, at least for one card. 

3/28/20 12:42 PM
3/16/15
Yomarashi - 
knot eye -

I'm impressed.

Battleship is finally happening.
3/28/20 1:28 PM
12/1/10
then put it on espn or a network for free. donate all advertising money to killing the VIRUS
3/28/20 2:14 PM
2/22/13
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork -

End thread.

3/28/20 2:49 PM
5/15/15

Job done. No Khabib at least... Russia is locked down.

3/28/20 3:31 PM
10/25/06
RoyNelsonsTVDinner - 

End thread.

You guys are fucking morons. They still have to pay the fighters and Habib and Tony ain't fighting for ESPN+ money.

3/29/20 10:59 PM
7/10/02
If it'd be available for free it would make gigantic money from a huge viewership worldwide, good will and all that. So not only could the make good advertising money, even if they didn't THIS time or donated it or whatever, the free publicity itself and viewership would pay huge dividends shortly.

There's no sport on TV! They could get a lot of eyeballs and most of the sports media coverage, the world over. Ridiculous short term thinking if they maintain a PPV model for this one. It's their time to shine!
3/30/20 3:34 AM
5/14/13
kneedy -
RoyNelsonsTVDinner - 

End thread.

You guys are fucking morons. They still have to pay the fighters and Habib and Tony ain't fighting for ESPN+ money.

You might want to see what the UFC pays out their "investment partners" vs their fighter roster.

3/30/20 3:47 AM
7/11/12

If it's not about the money then make it free....

3/30/20 3:53 AM
11/8/08
Sprawl'n'Stall - If it'd be available for free it would make gigantic money from a huge viewership worldwide, good will and all that. So not only could the make good advertising money, even if they didn't THIS time or donated it or whatever, the free publicity itself and viewership would pay huge dividends shortly.

There's no sport on TV! They could get a lot of eyeballs and most of the sports media coverage, the world over. Ridiculous short term thinking if they maintain a PPV model for this one. It's their time to shine!

When they do put out free cards, the fans bitch about the quality and none of that stuff happens. Hell, the fans on here usually bitch about free cards and the quality, lack of name fighters and other things. If hardcore fans dont appreciate a free card then why would this be huge for casuals and non fans?