UnderGround Forums DFW critical of some officiating at UFC 246

29 days ago
1/1/01

Refereeing in MMA is impossible to do perfectly. A ref has to balance a fighter's livelihood with a fighter's health, in a sport where the athletes are trying to hurt each other. And sometimes they have to do it during moments when to see everything that happens, you have to be in multiple spots at once.

UFC president Dana White was critical to a degree of multiple moments at UFC 246.

White on Jason Herzog reffing Holly Holm vs. Raquel Pennington.

"He let them clinch for four minutes for three f***ing rounds and they fought for a minute," said White. "That was a problem, too. That drove me crazy. If you are not doing damage or advancing position, you split the fighters up and make them actually fight. And I like this guy. I don't want to bum this guy out or whatever, but he's running around the Octagon. Like, what f***ing fight is he watching? He's moving around like he's trying to stay out of the way like there's a f***ing war going on or something. These guys are leaning up against the fence for four minutes."

"I literally almost got up and walked out of that fight. I was so frustrated. Anyways, I've s*** on enough referees in my day. That guy seems like a nice guy. I'm too old to f***ing be doing this s*** any more and tearing these guys apart. He's a nice guy and I don't mean to whatever. You saw the fight. You know what I'm talking about."

White on referee Mark Smith's stoppage of Drew Dober vs. Nasrat Haqparast.

"The Dober fight, he got hit with like 12 unanswered shots," White said. "The reffing wasn't 100 percent tonight. That's a fact."

White on Herb Dean's stoppage of Conor McGregor vs. Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.

"I don't know if the Cerrone stoppage was horrible, though," said White. "I don't know if I'd say that. At the end of the day, the reality is we're not in there. We're not the refs. I wish it could be perfect, but it's never going to be perfect. It's never going to be perfect in football, basketball, or any other sport. It's never going to be perfect here.

"I think it's probably one of the toughest jobs in all of sports. Everybody is an expert. Everybody is a critic. Everybody wants to rip you apart after they don't like the way you did it. As long as nobody gets hurt. Never once did I look at the fight and go, 'They should have stopped that sooner,' like I did for the Dober fight."

h/t Nolan KingMMA Junkie

29 days ago
10/3/11

It's a split second decision usually and very tough so mistakes get made. I think a lot a lot of fights are stopped early nowadays to make it more acceptable for the big public. The Haqparast stoppage was terrible though, the ref is there to protect the fighters. He didn't. 

Cerrone stoppage was perfect he wasnt ko'd, didn't take huge shots at the end and Cerrone had enough time to do something but just didn't. 

29 days ago
1/27/12
lamedroid -

It's a split second decision usually and very tough so mistakes get made. I think a lot a lot of fights are stopped early nowadays to make it more acceptable for the big public. The Haqparast stoppage was terrible though, the ref is there to protect the fighters. He didn't. 

Cerrone stoppage was perfect he wasnt ko'd, didn't take huge shots at the end and Cerrone had enough time to do something but just didn't. 

This.

At the time I felt like Herb was thinking "this is a huge fight I gotta make sure it is definitive"

29 days ago
8/23/02

Kirk, you're reposting trash that other lazy 'reporters' posted. This is trash news. Dana White rants...ect, ect, ect. How about some real information. About this event. Cowboys direction, the choke on Pettis, the cancelled female fight and how it could have or should have been saved. The UG needs to be better than this stuff, and it starts at the Top.

Also, the Holm and Pennington fight was boring and that's not Herzog's fault. That's Holm and Pennington's fault. I'm tired of these ref's always trying to insert themselves in fights. Let the fighters fight. And if they don't, don't put them in a co-main event again. If a fighter can't escape don't look to the ref to get you out of the position. AND, Pennington would re engage in the clinch which was crazy!

29 days ago
8/14/12

Donald stoppage was good imo. If it's early in a fight and a guy gets blitzed you gotta give them a chance to make it through. Had he been getting pounded for 3-4 rounds and showing no offense Id stop it sooner in same exchange. Dillashaw should have been given the chance donald had 

Edited: 28 days ago
9/15/13

According to a simple Google search, this same referee (Mark Smith) who had a late stoppage at UFC 246, also took years off Leandro Higo's career too at Bellator #206 in 2018.

Who is this referee, what is his martial arts background and who were or are his coach(es)?

Please post these two links BLUE NAMER!!

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2018/08/xtreme-couture-eric-nicksick-blasts-referee-mark-smith-that-entitled-guy

From this article from USA Today/MMA Junkie it says that this Nevada referee tried to be "chummy" with the fighters, has a reputation for being "that entitled guy" and for making everything about himself.

Not only is this referee one of the worst referees in the sport and on Dana White's current sh*tlist but according to this article, Mark Smith has a negative reputation in and around Nevada with the coaches too.

Very interesting article

28 days ago
11/9/18

It's Dana's fault for putting those two crap fighters in the same ring together.

28 days ago
2/27/11
MM8 -

It's Dana's fault for putting those two crap fighters in the same ring together.

THISSS... and we dodged another crap fight thanks to one of those broads coming in nearly one full weight class overweight.

Thats your fault Dana, just be done with it and make WUFC separated shows if you are scared of SJWs and dont have the guts to axe the female divisions all together.

28 days ago
5/15/15
lamedroid -

I slightly disagree. I don't think it's for the public. It's the referee being able to see into people eyes, see the damage, position & now they have enough knowledge to know exactly where thats heading.

In hindsight Cowboy was clearly out from that knee right at the start. Problem is, it's hard to pick up on his eyes rolling etc when absolute chaos is taking place :-)

27 days ago
5/8/16

27 days ago
10/3/11
moogin83 -
lamedroid -

I slightly disagree. I don't think it's for the public. It's the referee being able to see into people eyes, see the damage, position & now they have enough knowledge to know exactly where thats heading.

In hindsight Cowboy was clearly out from that knee right at the start. Problem is, it's hard to pick up on his eyes rolling etc when absolute chaos is taking place :-)

It's pretty obvious fights have been stopped earlier for years now, at least since Ari bought the UFC but imo earlier already.

Cowboy was not out from the knee, maybe rocked at best