UnderGround Forums Daniel Cormier’s cardio

Edited: 8/12/20 3:56 AM
1/15/12

Is it just me or is his cardio not that great as of late? I think this was the biggest reason he lost his last fight against Stipe. I believe he’s the better fighter, but if he can’t get Stipe out of there early and Stipe stuffs some takedown and/or makes DC work hard for them, I could see DC gassing in the 4th and 5th.

i suspect older DC at heavyweight struggles to go 5rds - especially given his fighting

Edited: 8/12/20 9:54 PM
1/15/12
AtticusFinch -

Is it just me or is his cardio not that great as of late? I think this was the biggest reason he lost his last fight against Stipe. I believe he’s the better fighter, but if he can’t get Stipe out of there early and Stipe stuffs some takedown and/or makes DC work hard for them, I could see DC gassing in the 4th and 5th.

i suspect older DC at heavyweight struggles to go 5rds - especially given his fighting

*given his of fighting

Edited: 8/12/20 4:05 AM
12/28/12

He’s done. This is him cashing in on the way out

8/12/20 6:06 AM
5/5/13

Fuck you guys! As a huge DC fan, i'm not concerned about his cardio at all. Especially, cos Chris has done an awesome job in putting DC in great shape
8/12/20 6:48 AM
2/9/09

I think this is the best DC we will see. Its his last fight and he's going to want to go out on top. He's probably corrected his mistakes. I don't see him coming out with as much pressure and starting so fast in this fight, and He seems to be in fantastic shape. 

8/12/20 7:32 AM
1/15/12
Rambla -

Fuck you guys! As a huge DC fan, i'm not concerned about his cardio at all. Especially, cos Chris has done an awesome job in putting DC in great shape

I hope so! I’m a big fan too. 

8/12/20 10:48 AM
11/5/19
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

If DC had any willpower and dropped his 35lbs of lard, he wouldn’t always gas past round 3
8/12/20 10:51 AM
2/9/09
Corn Pop -
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

If DC had any willpower and dropped his 35lbs of lard, he wouldn’t always gas past round 3

He looks pretty good compared to the second fight. 

8/12/20 10:52 AM
2/17/03
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

Always gas past round 3? Have you seen the Gus fight? What about the Barnett fight.

The only two times DC has slowed down were because of body shots (Jones 1 and Stipe 2).

8/12/20 10:53 AM
6/18/09

It was more the body shots that wore him down imo. I think not using his wrestling is what lost him the fight. 

8/12/20 10:59 AM
11/5/19
wiggum - 
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

Always gas past round 3? Have you seen the Gus fight? What about the Barnett fight.

The only two times DC has slowed down were because of body shots (Jones 1 and Stipe 2).

He’s fuckin fat
8/12/20 11:01 AM
2/9/09
FortyKoatz -

It was more the body shots that wore him down imo. I think not using his wrestling is what lost him the fight. 

He mentioned that, he said he's not sure why he got away from the wrestling etc (paraphrasing)

8/12/20 11:42 AM
2/17/03
Corn Pop - 
wiggum - 
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

He’s fuckin fat

Yup. And you are a loser on the internet ragging on a two division champion.

8/12/20 11:53 AM
3/19/04
wiggum - 
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

Maybe I remember it wrong but I thought that in Stipe/DC 2 that DC faded quite a bit before he took much, if any, damage to the body. The famous left hooks came when DC was already tired, iirc.

8/12/20 11:53 AM
8/15/11

I think he definitely doesn't have the cardio of Jones. He does slow down if you stuff a few of his takedowns. They seem to sap him of energy. Noticed it in the Jones fight when he practically got a takedown just as some kind of moral victory after numerous attempts. 

Against Stipe he also found it taxing. Which is why he gave up the wrestling and got finished eventually. I believe had he continued with the takedowns he'd have gassed faster. 

He had better Cardio before his LHW drop. 

8/12/20 12:05 PM
12/1/03

Yeah, no doubt the extra weight cost him some cardio.

8/12/20 12:19 PM
2/17/03
Canooke - 
wiggum - 
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

Maybe I remember it wrong but I thought that in Stipe/DC 2 that DC faded quite a bit before he took much, if any, damage to the body. The famous left hooks came when DC was already tired, iirc.

I re-watched the fight recently and agreed with the commentators when they stated that both men were slowing down. I think that's because they spent the first 3 rounds trying to KO each other. It was about even in terms of cardio until the body shots, IMO. Others might come to another judgement.

8/12/20 12:20 PM
8/14/12

He said in one of the interviews that last fight he didn’t train hard enough and kept making excuses every time something hurt and would stop. Claims this training camp has been old school full on. Hopefully true and he makes it to the fight healthy. 

8/12/20 1:21 PM
7/20/01

8/12/20 1:47 PM
2/17/03
Vikingknee - 

He said in one of the interviews that last fight he didn’t train hard enough and kept making excuses every time something hurt and would stop. Claims this training camp has been old school full on. Hopefully true and he makes it to the fight healthy. 

I believe it.

He was also putting so much time into Gilroy wrestling.

8/12/20 1:59 PM
10/3/12

He's 41 years old.

8/12/20 2:17 PM
3/19/04

I just re-watched their second fight and I think Stipe is tougher mentally, has a good chin, and has proportions that are more suited to sustained output. I think DC has the better chance of the two to finish the fight in the first couple of rounds but Stipe could change that if he goes high/low with powerful shots early like he did to finish DC last fight in the later rounds.

I'm excited to see what adjustments both fighters make. How aggressive will DC be early vs pacing himself? How soon will we see Stipe mixing in the powerful lefts to the body?

8/12/20 2:24 PM
8/10/05
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

I though he looked horrible when I saw this clip, but if he lost 35lbs of lard, he would be below his LHW weight.

8/12/20 2:36 PM
11/5/19
Ministry of Truth - 
Corn Pop - 
Rambla - 

Not sure if serious

I though he looked horrible when I saw this clip, but if he lost 35lbs of lard, he would be below his LHW weight.

For his last 2 HW bouts, his “in fight shape” weight has been 247 and 251. Losing 35 would leave him at 212 or 216.

As an adult he wrestled at 184 in college, so it’s not like his frame wouldn’t work with 215ish. Everything on top of that is his fat
8/12/20 2:38 PM
11/5/19
And I don’t mean he needs to lose that exact amount, just pointing out that a guy who has had cardio issues carries a ton of fat, and jokes about how he stuffs his face with fried chicken and cake