UnderGround Forums Dern to Bisping: Accent, missing weight, more

Edited: 6 days ago
12/3/08

UFC Hall of Famer Michael Bisping recently sat down with the mediagenic* Mackenzie Dern, ahead of her fight on Saturday night vs. Amanda Ribas on the main card of UFC on ESPN+ 19 in Tampa, Florida.

Dern has been ridiculed to a ridiculous extent for her accent, which changed over about five years from Arizonan to Brazilian.

"My Dad and step Mom are both Brazilian. My [husband, pro surfer Wesley Santos] speaks Portuguese. I'm speaking Portuguese more than English," she explained previously. "I still have lots of interactions in English of course. But I think in Portuguese, anything to do with fight is all in Portuguese in my mind, I dream in Portuguese."

Bisping's accent too has changed, has become American to a degree, although you might have to be from Manchester to recognize it.

Bisping also addressed Dern's colossal weight miss - at UFC 224 in May of 2018, Dern missed the strawweight cut off by 7 pounds, was fined 30% of purse, and won in Round 1, remaining undefeated. It was her third miss in just seven fights. However, if she can make weight successfully on Friday, just four months after giving birth, then that reputation will reverse, and Dern will become the poster child for successfully making weight under extraordinary circumstances. 

Dern, 26, has been practicing Jiu-Jitsu for 23 years, under her father, black belt Wellington "Megaton" Dias and her stepmother, black belt Luciana Tavares. Dern is the only female black belt to have won gold at the big five IBJJF gi championships - Worlds, Euros, Pans, Asian Open, and Brazilian Nationals. She has also won gold at the ADCCs. And she's 7-0 in MMA.

Bisping and Dern both discussed the change in motivation to fight that having a child creates. Dern credits her husband and coaches for her ability to showcase her postpartum aggression. And, as would be expected in the MyProteinsponsored segment, the role of proper nutrition in her success was referenced. MyProtein is a massive UK-founded online retailer of supplements, protein powders, vitamins, and high-protein foods and snacks. Follow them at @myproteinus for live updates on Saturday night.

*Mediagenic, as Beavis has explained, means "your thingies are cool."

6 days ago
7/28/08

That girl is crazy

6 days ago
5/17/13

Yeo that accent thing is strange lol 

6 days ago
11/9/17
GaspareBJJ - 

It's sheer retardation, seriously!

I mean, those who were around in the 90's early 00's will remember all of the Americans in BJJ class trying for an accent, wanting to get cauliflower ear but goddamn I never saw one of those idiots actually fully adopt a Portuguese accent full time.

She for sure speaks Portuguese well but that would not change your native accent, It just doesn't work like that, it is something she decided to start acting and its likely second nature now to put on the act.
6 days ago
1/10/13

She said she walked around 135 or 130, and could only get to 122lbs for her last fight? If true that's just a terrible effort at making weight.  I'm thinking she isn't making 115lbs this time either.

6 days ago
7/25/08
That bitch is from Arizona.

I know SHIT TONS of immigrant kids who grew up in the US but spoke their parents native language at home exclusively. Those fuckers all sound exactly like me.

My buddies with names like Huang, and Gonzalez, and De La Cruz, and Hak, and Thuptien and Hwang. You get htem around their families and it's all languages, but get them speaking English and they sound like Alex Trebek.

Congrats to the dude that knocked her up. You just got a lifetime of crazy.
6 days ago
1/1/01
PelosiesPanties -
GaspareBJJ - 

I mean, those who were around in the 90's early 00's will remember all of the Americans in BJJ class trying for an accent, wanting to get cauliflower ear but goddamn I never saw one of those idiots actually fully adopt a Portuguese accent full time.

She for sure speaks Portuguese well but that would not change your native accent, It just doesn't work like that, it is something she decided to start acting and its likely second nature now to put on the act.

She takes it beyond the accent, she actually speaks broken English, saying things like “how you say?...” and not actually putting together full English sentences, pretending she doesn’t know the English words. Bringing in a translator for her fights, stuff like that.

6 days ago
11/8/08

A woman putting on a show and play acting for attention?

Typical female behavior. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
boxing wiz -

She said she walked around 135 or 130, and could only get to 122lbs for her last fight? If true that's just a terrible effort at making weight.  I'm thinking she isn't making 115lbs this time either.

If you have ever trained women fighters, they do not lose weight nearly as well as men. Women tend to have much less muscle than men which is where water is stored.

Also, it usuallys takes intense physical excericse for women to really cut weight, not just other methods like jacuzzi's and saunas.

6 days ago
8/14/12

Having an accent does not make you lose all grammar skills of the English language. She literally speaks incorrectly on purpose and it’s a higher level of cringe than anything else in mma. 

6 days ago
2/2/15
bradu -
PelosiesPanties -
GaspareBJJ - 

She takes it beyond the accent, she actually speaks broken English, saying things like “how you say?...” and not actually putting together full English sentences, pretending she doesn’t know the English words. Bringing in a translator for her fights, stuff like that.

Exactly

Edited: 5 days ago
7/15/17

faking like you don't speak a language, that you clearly do is not an accent

.. people keep  saying that  she's faking an accent .. but it's the fact that she's pretending not to know English that's is the crazy part

she speaks like a Brazilian who is just learning English, which isn't an accent .. 

6 days ago
11/9/17
bradu -
PelosiesPanties -
GaspareBJJ - 

lol..Yep! Like I said, an act that is second nature now. 

6 days ago
11/18/14

bisping is a great interviewer!

she looks in shape. quite impressive, so quickly after having a kid.

6 days ago
1/10/13
Chris -
boxing wiz -

If you have ever trained women fighters, they do not lose weight nearly as well as men. Women tend to have much less muscle than men which is where water is stored.

Also, it usuallys takes intense physical excericse for women to really cut weight, not just other methods like jacuzzi's and saunas.

I totally understand that women have more troubles with cutting weight. Maybe she should have dieted down closer to 115lbs. The roll around her back must have carried 7lbs of water. She had been coming in straight chubby for a world class athlete. It's not like she only missed weight once or even twice.

6 days ago
3/7/05
Yeah that stuff about her accent is horseshit. Cut the crap.
6 days ago
9/20/19
Chris -
boxing wiz -

It’s almost like there’s higher weight classes than the one she’s missing. 

6 days ago
6/27/02
It's like, I bean...how you say... hang ouch wif more brazilians you know?
6 days ago
3/7/05
HillboFrateTrane - 
Chris -
boxing wiz -

It’s almost like there’s higher weight classes than the one she’s missing. 

This is on the UFC as well though. If you miss weight more than once they should just TELL you to go up a class. They have to know by now she cannot make 115 consistently.
6 days ago
6/7/11

I was friends with 2 guys in school that were from Scotland (I'm in England). You would never know by their accents, they both spoke like they were local. After leaving school and losing contact for a few years I run in to them. Full on Scottish accents, and not the nice kind of Scottish accent like jojo calderwood. I'm talking full on Highlands what the fuck are you talking about Scottish! I asked them why and they said they put the English accent on through school so they wasn't singled out. Haha my mind was blown. 

6 days ago
8/6/06
bradu -
PelosiesPanties -
GaspareBJJ - 

Bringing the translator had to be a next level troll move.

6 days ago
10/27/03
PelosiesPanties - 
GaspareBJJ - 

haha I remember those guys who purposely fucked up their ears - 'ears of shame' we used to call them

And club tattoos - nothing more alpha than tattooing the logo of another man on to your body.
5 days ago
11/26/16

She is either batshit crazy or an epic troller with this damn fake accent..

Regardless can't bring myself to listen to this shit...

5 days ago
2/29/16

Her accent is so fake. Lol.

Edited: 5 days ago
5/5/13

Yeah, the accent is weird. I was living in Amsterdam for almost 6 years and i don't sound like the Goldmember, lol!