OtherGround Forums DiMaggio punched Billy Crystal

6/25/19 2:21 PM
3/27/03

I don’t get it... why would you have to sucker punch billy crystal in the gut and wouldn’t billy die if he actually hit him off guard in the guts?

Edited: 6/25/19 2:35 PM
3/2/11
micmac -
ChaosOverkill -

I remember an interview with Berra or who covered the Yankees and spent time with him and siad he was pretty dumb.

When the Simon and Garfunkle song Mrs. Robinson came out with the line "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?" he apparently did not get that it was a analogy for losing innocence and hero worship at a time where the country lacked heroes and apparently multiple people tried to explain it to him and he would just say "But I don't get it, I'm here, right here".

Never heard that before, but interesting coincidence since Mantle appeared in Simon's video for Me and Julio Down in the Schoolyard.

Yeah I think part of the story was Mantle trying to explain it to him, this was either Berra himself or a was a famous reported or someone that used to know the players well, It was a long time ago but I never forgot this part of the story.

I want to say it was Berra and he said it as diplomatically as possible that he was a pretty simple guy, because Berra was interviewed by this show, I assume it was from this.

6/25/19 4:30 PM
3/2/11
micmac -
ChaosOverkill -

I remember an interview with Berra or who covered the Yankees and spent time with him and siad he was pretty dumb.

When the Simon and Garfunkle song Mrs. Robinson came out with the line "Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?" he apparently did not get that it was a analogy for losing innocence and hero worship at a time where the country lacked heroes and apparently multiple people tried to explain it to him and he would just say "But I don't get it, I'm here, right here".

Never heard that before, but interesting coincidence since Mantle appeared in Simon's video for Me and Julio Down in the Schoolyard.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-03-09-9903100368-story.html

Here is probably story I'm butchering.

Regardless of his character and other flaws/attributes he was basically a huge meathead.

6/25/19 4:34 PM
4/17/06
ChaosOverkill -
micmac -
ChaosOverkill -

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-03-09-9903100368-story.html

Here is probably story I'm butchering.

Regardless of his character and other flaws/attributes he was basically a huge meathead.

Cool thanks for posting that

Edited: 6/25/19 4:47 PM
4/17/06

The NY baseball scene in the 50s and 60s was unbelievable.

Willie, Mickey and the Duke

Jackie Robinson

Leo Durocher and his Hollywood celebrity friends like Sinatra

Ebbetts Field, the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium

Roger Maris breaking Babe's record

If I coulda been a kid at any other time and place in history I think I would have picked then.