UnderGround Forums Dirty little Corona effect that few realize ...

12 days ago
2/24/19

If you have read my posts you know I am a retired surgeon. Last week the call went out asking retired physicians to volunteer during this crisis. Not to deal with CoVid-19 patients but to help alleviate the workload of current Docs dealing with the surge of patients. I went to a meeting today at one of our local hospitals to entertain that possibility. While there, I learned that they were “mandated” (not sure who could do this) to hold 150 beds open for CoVid-19 treatment. Thus the hospital is half empty. No elective surgeries, no echos, no endoscopy, etc. Well ... with half the hospital empty they have laid off or furloughed roughly 1/2 of their hourly workers. Housekeeping, food service, ER nurses, phlebotomists, CRNA’s, sonographers, etc. One CRNA told me he only worked 12 hours last week. Some may be salaried but he is hourly with his particular anesthesia group he works for. He normally is needed for things like hip replacements, hernia repairs, etc. Last week he did only intubations. So his pay was cut to less than 1/3 normal. At least he got to keep his insurance. Some of the workers who became part timers probably lost their benefits. He told me he can’t pay his mortgage, etc. on 12 hours a week. To top it off, his wife is a diabetes nutrition counselor and she was just plain furloughed. Diabetics problems will not go away because of this virus - they still need her. Yet they want us old retired Docs to come in and work pro bono. I am sure our hospital is not unique in this problem. Honestly, I had not considered this at all. I thought it would be all hands on deck in hospitals right now. I am still not sure what to do. I want to help and would be in a complete different section of the building from the Corona patients dealing with things like falls, car accidents, etc. They have two separate ER’s set up sort of. On the other hand, I feel like I should support those workers who are getting hours cut or laid off. It’s a conundrum. 

12 days ago
1/1/01
tough call, really filling the beds may be the best short term solution but that could back fire in a hurry if covid hits full force

good on you for attending and giving it some thought
12 days ago
10/30/03

I'm sorry that you have to make this choice but your talents and efforts will be appreciated by many.

I wish I had the knowledge and skills to be useful

11 days ago
10/20/10

Very similar at my hospital, I’m an ICU step down RN and we’re calling people off left and right. All elective surgeries on hold, most outpatient appointments on hold, hospital is half empty in preparation for a surge. I understand we need to be prepared, just not sure if cutting back on every, single “elective” surgery and service is the appropriate way to go. 

11 days ago
7/16/17
James Franco -

I'm sorry that you have to make this choice but your talents and efforts will be appreciated by many.

Can you sew?  My wife kids and I sewed masks for the hospital my father works at.  He was called out of retirement as well.

11 days ago
4/12/11

My wife is a neurologist and she had to write the hospital a well researched letter explaining why cancer patients in active treatment are also a priority during this pandemic. She received an email asking if cancer patients can have their treatment put off to make room for covid 19 patients. Jesus. 

10 days ago
10/30/03
thehoodedwonder139 -
James Franco -

Can you sew?  My wife kids and I sewed masks for the hospital my father works at.  He was called out of retirement as well.

No but willing to learn. What kind of fabric do you need to equal n95?

10 days ago
4/12/11
James Franco -
thehoodedwonder139 -
James Franco -

Silk panties work great.

10 days ago
7/16/17
James Franco -
thehoodedwonder139 -
James Franco -

They aren't necessarily rated n95.  They plan on using them as surgical masks.  We made them out of polypropylene lined them with shredded up cotton balls, and put an interior lining of a soft cotton fabric.  Used simple elastic for the strings.  They are essentially washable and reusable.

9 days ago
12/9/02

easy decision:

do not help

they should brin back the people they pay to help instead of pushing them out and asking for volunteers 

9 days ago
12/9/02

also wrong forum fuckface

9 days ago
1/11/11

Our hospital normally runs between 90-100% full. We have done most of the above in order to make space for the alleged onslaught that is coming. Being prepared is great but we are forcing people to work extra shifts to prepare and then canceling hours left and right. Seems to be some challenges finding the happy medium. We are essentially standing around waiting for shit to hit the fan. Lots of hospital staff are slowly going broke waiting to be busy 

9 days ago
6/30/07

Lots of trickle effects most outside of our world just aren't going to notice/consider until it effects them personally and directly.

Many of you know I'm a flight medic in Montana. The feds designate Montana as "frontier medicine". Not even rural.

That pretty much means that most of what I do here is to take the sickest out of state for specialty care not available in-state.

Well..... The big level 1 hospitals that I usually take patients to aren't really accepting transfer patients right now (except for the VA, which doesn't seem to give a shit about cross contamination, and is still shipping alot of shit that doesn't really need to go anywhere).

That means that the tiny level 3 and community access facilities here are filling up. Some are already overwhelmed with routine patient traffic and even 1 CV19 patient pushes them past their capability. We are already getting emails from some facilities begging for nursing staff to help if they can.

But in the meantime, our overall flight volume is down 50% and, believe it or not, cutting hours and taking mandatory call shifts.

We are dangerously low on basic PPE already.

Most of our team also works in hospitals or on the street in Fire/EMS, so even more risk of exposure and are saying the same thing. Our PPE is disposable for a reason, now we're washing shit and reusing at times.

We will for sure lose some due to sickness, and others due to family pressure. 

Many facilities right now won't even let flight teams in the building without full gowns and faceshields. This is currently unsustainable.

Yeah, yeah, I know..... "There's only 10 people in Montana, who cares?"

Our isolation kept us off the bell curve longer, that's it. We are trending up and are woefully unprepared for the potential magnitude of this.

Just my view from the completely dead airport I'm stationed at today.

9 days ago
6/30/07
James Franco -
thehoodedwonder139 -
James Franco -

https://www.livescience.com/cloth-masks-coronavirus.html

Instructions.

Not very effective.

9 days ago
4/19/16
I think the main point of those home made mask's is to prevent you from touching your face and thus preventing the spread of infection that way. It's not ideal but better than nothing.
9 days ago
5/30/10
Wanderluster - I think the main point of those home made mask's is to prevent you from touching your face and thus preventing the spread of infection that way. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

Just wear gloves

9 days ago
6/30/07
Shugum -
Wanderluster - I think the main point of those home made mask's is to prevent you from touching your face and thus preventing the spread of infection that way. It's not ideal but better than nothing.

Just wear gloves

Edited: 9 days ago
12/9/13
BubblesNS -

My wife is a neurologist and she had to write the hospital a well researched letter explaining why cancer patients in active treatment are also a priority during this pandemic. She received an email asking if cancer patients can have their treatment put off to make room for covid 19 patients. Jesus. 

already happened in most EU countries, the call it "the hidden deaths"

8 days ago
1/1/01
Rakoshi -

If you have read my posts you know I am a retired surgeon. Last week the call went out asking retired physicians to volunteer during this crisis. Not to deal with CoVid-19 patients but to help alleviate the workload of current Docs dealing with the surge of patients. I went to a meeting today at one of our local hospitals to entertain that possibility. While there, I learned that they were “mandated” (not sure who could do this) to hold 150 beds open for CoVid-19 treatment. Thus the hospital is half empty. No elective surgeries, no echos, no endoscopy, etc. Well ... with half the hospital empty they have laid off or furloughed roughly 1/2 of their hourly workers. Housekeeping, food service, ER nurses, phlebotomists, CRNA’s, sonographers, etc. One CRNA told me he only worked 12 hours last week. Some may be salaried but he is hourly with his particular anesthesia group he works for. He normally is needed for things like hip replacements, hernia repairs, etc. Last week he did only intubations. So his pay was cut to less than 1/3 normal. At least he got to keep his insurance. Some of the workers who became part timers probably lost their benefits. He told me he can’t pay his mortgage, etc. on 12 hours a week. To top it off, his wife is a diabetes nutrition counselor and she was just plain furloughed. Diabetics problems will not go away because of this virus - they still need her. Yet they want us old retired Docs to come in and work pro bono. I am sure our hospital is not unique in this problem. Honestly, I had not considered this at all. I thought it would be all hands on deck in hospitals right now. I am still not sure what to do. I want to help and would be in a complete different section of the building from the Corona patients dealing with things like falls, car accidents, etc. They have two separate ER’s set up sort of. On the other hand, I feel like I should support those workers who are getting hours cut or laid off. It’s a conundrum. 

Yes...most op and elective tx's, sx's and procedures cx'd.  HIACU, PACU etc. converted to ICU beds.  All for the possible surge in cerveza pts.  Staff furloughed or asked to take PTO if "non essential".

will be felt in revenue in the next 60-90 days.  Hospital asks you to work "pro Bono" or "half price" or whatever...then hospital CEO is at gov door demanding cash due to Corona crisis. 

In fact any CEO/cfo worth his rate will blame any rev shortfalls for the past 10yrs on cerveza.  

7 days ago
7/2/15