UnderGround Forums Do I have to spar to get decent striking?

7/14/19 10:53 PM
2/9/09

As title states. For strictly self defense purpose do I need to spar? 

7/14/19 10:56 PM
10/5/11

Yes 

7/14/19 11:00 PM
4/1/03

7/14/19 11:01 PM
1/3/11

Depends who your fighting

7/14/19 11:06 PM
8/19/13

Yes

7/14/19 11:18 PM
7/2/09

Just looking at the thread title: yes.

Self defense: still yes.  Otherwise how would you know what it's like to be in a scuffle?  How would you know what works?  How would you know whether youre in touch with reality?  

Sparring is a feedback mechanism that brings you back down to earth.  It's too easy to start viewing yourself as that touch of death guy (TKD friends, looking at you)

7/14/19 11:24 PM
2/9/09
jgiveshead -

Self defense: still yes.  Otherwise how would you know what it's like to be in a scuffle?  How would you know what works?  How would you know whether youre in touch with reality?  

Sparring is a feedback mechanism that brings you back down to earth.  It's too easy to start viewing yourself as that touch of death guy (TKD friends, looking at you)

I just figured 99% of people dont actually know how to strike...

7/14/19 11:26 PM
7/2/09
The Closed Guard -
jgiveshead -

I just figured 99% of people dont actually know how to strike...

25% of those guys can still hit you hard enough to make you regret it.  For those guys, you're going to want some experience on your side.

7/14/19 11:30 PM
7/15/17

Put it this way, I had been in about 2-3 street fights a year all through high school... before I started training I thought I could take a hit. After high school I started training, me who thought I was tough as shit and had been hit a million times wouldn’t flinch in sparring. It took me like 2-3months to stop flinching at strikes. It’s a muscle memory thing you have to over come, everyone has to spar to learn striking effectively. 

7/15/19 1:27 AM
2/20/09

You can learn to throw a nice clean, technical punch on a bag or hitting mits.

That will help you about fuck all when you can’t employ it because you just had a real punch thrown at you.

7/15/19 8:41 AM
3/7/16

Yes, but hard sparring is very overrated. Lots of technique drilling and sparring drills with good controll.

7/15/19 9:10 AM
11/10/18

Yes, but you don’t have to kill each other. However, you do need to get hit hard enough that it makes you uncomfortable. If you don’t think “this sucks” then you aren’t going hard enough. 

7/15/19 9:16 AM
5/25/03
You need to spar to obtain a sense of distance & to gain the ability to 'time' your punches.

As for defense, how do you plan on evading/blocking your opponent's punches? You have innate reflexes that tend to overreact and put you in bad positions.

Also, if you've never been hit, you won't know how you'll react. If you don't get KOed, you will likely freeze for a couple seconds which will leave you open for more punches/kicks.

You don't have to go all-out, but sparring at 50-70% most of the time works well, with occasional 90-95% intensity.
7/15/19 9:45 AM
7/16/15
cewi -

Yes, but hard sparring is very overrated. Lots of technique drilling and sparring drills with good controll.

Until you have an aggressive mfer coming at you throwing bombs and you freeze up which is usually what happens with people who just do joe rogan “flow sparring”.

7/15/19 9:56 AM
1/1/01

Sparring improves your timing which is a huge factor.  Have you ever seen a fight where they are swinging and just hitting air?  That's more than likely what will happen if you don't spar and do drills.

A guy that doesn't train, but has been in a lot of fights will have an edge on someone who has skills, and trains, but has never actually sparred.

7/15/19 9:59 AM
2/24/07
donkypunch55 - 

You can learn to throw a nice clean, technical punch on a bag or hitting mits.

That will help you about fuck all when you can’t employ it because you just had a real punch thrown at you.

Plus all that technique goes out the window when your target starts moving
7/15/19 10:01 AM
1/1/01
cewi - 

Fuck you.

Nobody said anything about "hard sparring".

The thread is a question about whether sparring is necessary to be a decent striker and the answer is absolutely yes.

You can hit bags, mitts, walls, or whatever else you want to all fucking day, but if you don't actually spar against a live opponent you will be a shitty striker. You'll have no sense of distance, timing, and flinch like a motherfucker.

You'll be no better than the TMA guys who practice their hurricane kicks and think they're badasses.

That said, "sparring" doesn't mean getting in a ring and trying to kill your sparring partner. Wear appropriate gear, set a timer, and try to use the skills you learned during drills.

If you're getting rocked by your partner ask him to dial it down or find another fucking partner.
7/15/19 11:11 AM
3/6/07

You must have someone put gloves on and really try to hit you. 

But, drills are everything. 

And, something as simple as Jab vs Jab is a great sparring tool. 

7/15/19 11:22 AM
3/7/16
billyball2 -
cewi - 

Fuck you.

Nobody said anything about "hard sparring".

The thread is a question about whether sparring is necessary to be a decent striker and the answer is absolutely yes.

You can hit bags, mitts, walls, or whatever else you want to all fucking day, but if you don't actually spar against a live opponent you will be a shitty striker. You'll have no sense of distance, timing, and flinch like a motherfucker.

You'll be no better than the TMA guys who practice their hurricane kicks and think they're badasses.

That said, "sparring" doesn't mean getting in a ring and trying to kill your sparring partner. Wear appropriate gear, set a timer, and try to use the skills you learned during drills.

If you're getting rocked by your partner ask him to dial it down or find another fucking partner.

What’s wrong with you, Ball Billy? Why so mad and insecure? You basicly gave the same tips as me.

7/15/19 12:21 PM
10/26/05
No...watch Rocky movie and you'll be set.
7/15/19 12:41 PM
2/17/03
I don't think so. Violence is too intense to learn without practicing it under realistic conditions. It's not just the technique, but the intensity.

Just like soccer drills alone can never prepare you for a game and pushing a tackling dummy can't prepare you for a football game.
7/15/19 12:44 PM
6/28/11

I think it comes down to what you mean by "decent striking" for "self defense purposes."

I guess I disagree slightly with the majority sentiment here (I think??) insofar as I would say doing no sparring--but yet drilling combos, technique, and power on mitts and a heavy bag and the like--is certainly better than doing nothing at all. 

That's been criticized here as being little better than most TMAs, and I guess that's true.  But if a well trained TMA guy feels threatened and throws first, he's actually probably going to be pretty good at accurately kicking you in the face fast and hard.  There's no shortage of YouTube videos of dudes getting leveled by someone who appears to be a TMA guy. 

Sure, he may not have much control over his flinch reflex, may not have a great sense of timing, etc.  And if the fight isn't over immediately and he gets dragged into a back-and-forth battle, having more sparring experience would be incredibly helpful as observed by others. 

But if you're only interested in the "hitting pads" version of striking training, I say go for it.  Maybe you'll eventually branch out.  And even if not, as the saying goes, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

7/15/19 12:56 PM
3/25/02

The key to martial arts practice is alive practice of the techniques you plan to use while defending real time techniques from your opponent. They had a contest in Denver in 1993 and now there’s like a whole sport built around this concept.

7/15/19 1:06 PM
11/28/03

bag no hit back

7/15/19 3:21 PM
7/11/12

Unless you've been in real fights only sparring would prepare you.