UnderGround Forums Do you feel less a part of the UFC today?

5/23/20 1:08 AM
6/12/09

The Reebok deal was the beginning of the end for me. Took the personality out of the sport. Now it feels like I'm watching anonymous fighters bash each others heads in. 

Edited: 5/23/20 7:37 AM
10/27/03

Let’s not pretend the ‘feeling’ was there in the last few years before the sale. People here were openly saying they were pumping things up for a sale.

What we’re reminiscing about is when it was a tiny niche sport and we were ‘supporting the sport’.  it was a different world then. Man I went bonkers in Japan in the early 2000s and saw actual MMA T-shirts for sale!

This website was the centre of the MMA world. Dana and Joe used to post regularly. Everyone was in it together.  That really ended in the late 2000s. Was a long time ago.

The sports is mainstream. The goal was achieved. We can all pay ourselves on the back that Frank, Lorenzo and Dana made a fortune lol

5/23/20 9:12 AM
1/22/03
The Future - 

The Reebok deal was the beginning of the end for me. Took the personality out of the sport. Now it feels like I'm watching anonymous fighters bash each others heads in. 

Oh yes and Reebok
5/23/20 11:03 AM
3/4/12

I kinda feel more distant from the UFC than I was a few years ago.  Before, when ppv’s were available on direct tv and other platforms, I probably bought 4 or 5 a year.  Now that the ppv’s are behind a double paywall I haven’t watched a single one.

5/23/20 11:15 AM
1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 

Let’s not pretend the ‘feeling’ was there in the last few years before the sale. People here were openly saying they were pumping things up for a sale.

What we’re reminiscing about is when it was a tiny niche sport and we were ‘supporting the sport’.  it was a different world then. Man I went bonkers in Japan in the early 2000s and saw actual MMA T-shirts for sale!

This website was the centre of the MMA world. Dana and Joe used to post regularly. Everyone was in it together.  That really ended in the late 2000s. Was a long time ago.

The sports is mainstream. The goal was achieved. We can all pay ourselves on the back that Frank, Lorenzo and Dana made a fortune lol

Good post. I remember flipping out in Japan in the maybe early or mid 2000s in Japan seeing a regular guy on a train reading an MMA mag. For younger readers, a magazine is a thing with images and words printed on paper, that's floppy.

5/23/20 11:32 AM
9/24/09

I think the day that Joe Rogan steps away will change the UFC even more. He is the familiar friend we have all come to enjoy hearing at the fights. 

5/23/20 12:35 PM
6/20/11

It’s run very similarly and has basically been this way since they moved to Fox and did the Reebok deal.

Thays what they wanted, to build it up and get out and they did it.

These changes were in place before they sold.

5/23/20 12:50 PM
1/12/05
FingerorMoon - 

Yep. IMO, moving from Spike to FOX was the end of an era. I can't put my finger on why, but it was, but it was.
5/23/20 1:55 PM
10/14/12
Bobby Lupo - 
FingerorMoon - 

Yep. IMO, moving from Spike to FOX was the end of an era. I can't put my finger on why, but it was, but it was.

I felt that as well.

LOVE/MISS the SpikeTV era!
5/23/20 1:58 PM
6/27/02
S Dubaya -

I think the day that Joe Rogan steps away will change the UFC even more. He is the familiar friend we have all come to enjoy hearing at the fights. 

You can tell he feels like us too though. Like we’re still here, but it’s just not what it used to be. 

5/23/20 4:16 PM
3/23/06
S Dubaya -

He is GREAT and I love almost everything about his commentary, but I noticed the shows with DC, Cruz, and Bisping were very enjoyable.  It reminds me of the days when fighters did color commentary.  Remember how good guys like Mir, Couture, Miletich, Frank and Ken Shamrock, Jens Pulver, etc?  

Joe Rogan is a hall of famer in my book, but since so many people left already like Fertitta’s, Burt Watson, Joe Silva, Stitch, Goldberg, Brian Stann, I feel like Dana is holding the fan base together.  Rogan is very honest and we don’t get that from many other color guys when it comes to fouls, mess ups, etc.  I’m just thankful we had Joegan for almost 20 years.

I think the UFC would be in a weird spot without Dana...

5/23/20 4:21 PM
3/23/06
SuperFightFan -
Bobby Lupo - 
FingerorMoon - 

I felt that as well.

Yes!  Spike was amazing.  I’ll never forget ending a UFC and watching “1000 ways to die”.  Lol.

and remember VERSUS and FUEL TV?  That was a great era.  I was also a fan of motocross and BMX so UFC on Fuel TV was the greatest for me. 

5/23/20 4:26 PM
3/23/06
FingerorMoon -

When were the first rumors of the Zuffa selling the UFC?  I remember hearing about it only like less than a year before it happened, and then it kind of came out of nowhere.  The big stars like Anderson and GSP were already on their way out in 2013, and since then it was Ronda, Jones, and Conor.  I seriously wonder if Ronda Rousey returning at ufc 207 was part of the deal of the sale?  It seems like all the characters this sport was built on in the Zuffa era just went away. In the last news stars took over but now the divisions are jammed up, fights fall through, its really hard to get pumped up for a fight these days, literally until weigh ins lol.  

5/23/20 5:31 PM
1/12/05
knockoutfighter - 
FingerorMoon -

When were the first rumors of the Zuffa selling the UFC?  I remember hearing about it only like less than a year before it happened, and then it kind of came out of nowhere.  The big stars like Anderson and GSP were already on their way out in 2013, and since then it was Ronda, Jones, and Conor.  I seriously wonder if Ronda Rousey returning at ufc 207 was part of the deal of the sale?  It seems like all the characters this sport was built on in the Zuffa era just went away. In the last news stars took over but now the divisions are jammed up, fights fall through, its really hard to get pumped up for a fight these days, literally until weigh ins lol.  

There were rumors earlier that Shane McMahon was fronting a group that was interested in buying, and then FOX was going to buy the company. I believe that Zuffa pumped the UFC up with Ronda, Brock, and Conor all in the mainstream, and sold it before 2/3 left to the WWE and the other one spent more time in court rooms than training camps.

Nobody's that lucky. Failed PED tests, Ronda getting exposed, Conor and Jones getting arrested all over the place.

Zuffa passed a hot potato.

Ari will make his money and then some when they sell to some Sheik in Bahrain or Saudi Arabia who wants a prestige sports property in the portfolio.
5/23/20 6:25 PM
1/12/05
knockoutfighter - 
SuperFightFan -
Bobby Lupo - 
FingerorMoon - 

I felt that as well.

Yes!  Spike was amazing.  I’ll never forget ending a UFC and watching “1000 ways to die”.  Lol.

and remember VERSUS and FUEL TV?  That was a great era.  I was also a fan of motocross and BMX so UFC on Fuel TV was the greatest for me. 

From a fan perspective, it was great to have a central location where you knew the events would be.

Fight Nights were easy to find. There was no app to buy in order to buy a PPV. Spike bent over backwards and would put UFC programming on any time they had something to offer b/c the ratings were solid.

Brands have difficulty recovering from changing networks. I don't know why, but something changed when WWE left USA for Spike and then went back. They were good on USA, sucked on Spike, and suck shit on USA now.

UFC on Spike was great, less great on FOX, and annoying on ESPN

5/23/20 6:30 PM
11/28/03

i thought new owners would go bankrupt

5/23/20 7:19 PM
4/11/20
kingj03 -

I feel way less connected but that’s mainly because I cancelled BT sport here as soon as they starting charging extra for PPV’s

No shit, do they do it for all of them now or just the bigger ones? Personally I go the IPTV route.

5/23/20 7:37 PM
10/27/03
Kirik -
FingerorMoon - 

Good post. I remember flipping out in Japan in the maybe early or mid 2000s in Japan seeing a regular guy on a train reading an MMA mag. For younger readers, a magazine is a thing with images and words printed on paper, that's floppy.

I took photos in department stores of the Sapp, Fedor and Yoshida cardboard cutout ads that were up. 
Back here in Australia I had a couple of random people approach me in the street and shake my hand because I had a Brazilian Top Team shirt on lol

Good times.

5/23/20 10:01 PM
3/15/19

Yea I still have the first 50 or so UFC and prides on VHS and some DVD. I bought everything I could, showed anyone who would listen videos on the sport. 
These days - well look at UFC 250 - the product isn’t much to write home about. That event is just there to fill up space. 

Edited: 5/24/20 12:11 PM
5/1/11

The UFC might be mainstream but they can’t take away the community that was there before them. It’s the responsibility of hardcores to keep that community going.  Sean Shelby was a hardcore so that community still lives in the UFC.

5/24/20 1:03 PM
9/20/19

Conor killed what specialness was left. Brock started it. They saw how celebrity and manipulating match making could get mainstream people to buy, and now they’re stuck on it. 

5/24/20 3:02 PM
2/14/11

He makes a good point. Lorenzo was different and a great balance to Dana’s Definitely felt like being part of a family. I almost feel zero affinity to the sport now. Still enjoy it but it’s not the same. 

5/24/20 3:10 PM
1/1/01

Not near what it once was...neither is my interest.

Used to get psyched for the fights, not so much any more.

Perhaps it is just that there are so many more events now.

I miss the UFC and Pride days of 15-20 or so years ago.

Tuf changed it all. A huge win for the UFC, but not good for old school fans.

5/24/20 3:44 PM
1/1/01
southweststalker - 

Gonna get flamed but i dont care.  I am an autograph guy and used to do the fighter hotel every fight i went to.  We would be able to sit in the lobby and get every fighter that wanted to sign.  After the sale the ufc got a few douche security guys who get in your face if you even look at a fighter.  Its crazy most fights have 3 autographers and they arent aggressive at all.  They have killed the small town vibe that used to exist 

Are you still interested in the autographs and such?

I bough a Tapout shirt at an event 20+ years ago, from the original three tapout guys.

I can drive to Vegas in like 6 hours so we used to go to every show there, from about UFC 25-30 or so to about UFC 140-ish.

We would buy the cheap seat tickets for about $30, and head straight to the floor. Never had an issue doing this. We would wander all over mingling with the guys on the card. (try that now days)

Anyway I lugged this tapout shit around for a bunch of events, local and UFC. Totally guessing, but have at least 50+ signatures on it. Everybody who was anybody back in the day. Other than Wanderlei, never did get his. Have a few non fighters like the Tapout folks and Monte Cox (prolific promoter and manager) as well.

I have pics (most are shitty) of either my brother or I with most fighters at the event they signed at. Also have all the ticket stubs, so it is somewhat provable that I was there and they are legit.

Have a pic with my brother and Vitor Belfort from about 5 minutes before his fight taken in the cage while he was warming up. Rampage wearing his fucking chain and all kinds of other shit.

A friend knows Monte Cox well and we went to dinner with him, Hughes, Horn, and Alex Stiebling. Got to kind of knowing a few folks this way.

Anyway this post got long. Bottom line, I have a bunch of autographs on a shirt and other misc. shit that is totally useless to me...you interested??

5/24/20 5:09 PM
10/14/12
Bobby Lupo - 
knockoutfighter - 
SuperFightFan -
Bobby Lupo - 
FingerorMoon - 

I felt that as well.

From a fan perspective, it was great to have a central location where you knew the events would be.

Fight Nights were easy to find. There was no app to buy in order to buy a PPV. Spike bent over backwards and would put UFC programming on any time they had something to offer b/c the ratings were solid.

Brands have difficulty recovering from changing networks. I don't know why, but something changed when WWE left USA for Spike and then went back. They were good on USA, sucked on Spike, and suck shit on USA now.

UFC on Spike was great, less great on FOX, and annoying on ESPN

I noticed that too. Its like u cant get the magic back they once had.

FOX was gettin to be decent, loved the after fight show on there.