UnderGround Forums Doctor admits "way fight was going" influenced him

7 days ago
1/1/01
Dr. Nitin K. Sethi: ”I fear for my health and safety. Somebody’s going to get hurt, and it’s probably going to be me this time...I made an objective call based on my assessment of the fighter. Not just the cut, but the overall assessment of the fighter, how the fight was going..."

How the fight was going? Nate remaining competitive, landing head shots, almost snagging a heel hook on the ground, and picking up the pace as Masvidal was arguably fading?
7 days ago
12/9/18

Almost snagging a heel hook...? He was getting destroyed, the cut is fucking nasty and there were 10 minutes left in the fight. The ref made the right call. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
CloakedStar - 

Almost snagging a heel hook...? He was getting destroyed, the cut is fucking nasty and there were 10 minutes left in the fight. The ref made the right call. 

The cut was sealed up and stopped bleeding. Nate has the same cut virtually every fight. A heel hook is a technique in jiujitsu. Yes, 10 minutes left to fight. Why are you so confused?
7 days ago
1/24/16

Agreed. That's the refs job to determine "how the fight was going". I believe Nate would have overwhelmed Jorge in the last rounds but I seem to be in the minority

7 days ago
1/1/01
dinkledorf - 

Agreed. That's the refs job to determine "how the fight was going". I believe Nate would have overwhelmed Jorge in the last rounds but I seem to be in the minority

Good post. Completely inappropriate for the doctor to base his decision on anything but the medical evidence. He's not an expert in fighting or mma. Stick to your lane doc. You fucked up a great fight and possibly career defining moment for Diaz (or Masvidal).
7 days ago
9/23/07
Diaz was getting his dick beat into the dirt. Masvidal was not fading. That heel hook was never close.
7 days ago
1/12/10

Have you guys seen the cut? 

A couple more well placed shots and two big cuts turn into one potentially life altering wound. It wouldn’t have taken much for it to get way worse. 

7 days ago
8/12/16

I'm not sure where all this "Masvidal was fading" stuff is coming from.  I don't remember that at all, but I was drinking..

Mas completely dominated that fight pillar to post, sure things could have changed in the last couple of rounds but there was nothing to indicate that from rounds 1-3.  Mas is a much more complete fighter and better athlete who didn't show any tiring imo.

But the Dr. shouldn't necessarily be taking the direction of the fight into consideration in this fight unless Nate was about to be knocked out and had been brutally battered the first three rounds, which I don't think was quite the case here. 

Drs can take that into account, like they should have done to that tall blonde guy who lost 20 years of his life the other weak to an absolutely brutal beating in a fight he was clearly outmatched in.  But agree the fight could have continued.  I don't see Nate coming back to win though.

7 days ago
2/4/03
Speculation - maybe the doc meant that the cut made the musculature more prone to damage from repeated blows, the likely hood of that happening in quick succession was very high (and most likely before being able to reassess the eye).

If the cut was from a headbutt and Nate was dominating the fight and was unlikely to get repeatedly punched in the eye the decision would have been different. It does present a different risk assessment.

But play it the other way. Nate eats a three piece early in the forth, another elbow on the ground and the ref stops the fight. Now Nate has a droopy eye the rest of his life and can't get cleared to fight. 50% of you complaining would be screaming the ref needed to protect Nate and just ended his career.
7 days ago
12/29/18

Well shit, the doc can’t make the determination based on who he thinks is winning 

7 days ago
1/1/01
IzzysAssOnya - 

Well shit, the doc can’t make the determination based on who he thinks is winning 

This.
7 days ago
7/29/19
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

The cut was sealed up and stopped bleeding. Nate has the same cut virtually every fight. A heel hook is a technique in jiujitsu. Yes, 10 minutes left to fight. Why are you so confused?

Almost... it wasn’t even close and Masvidal defended it properly, then got out of the position and got a couple licks in before the round ended.

7 days ago
11/9/15

I wanted to see a full 5 round fight and I was pulling g for Nate, but being objective.. Nate was getting beat and the cut was pretty bad. Its disappointing but it's not the doctor's fault Nate cuts open so easily.

7 days ago
10/3/16

Fire him

7 days ago
10/6/02
I don't think Masdival as tired as some say he was.

Edited: 7 days ago
12/9/18
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

The cut was sealed... lmao good stuff buddy. This doctor is far smarter than you and likely knows more about fighting. He’s trained to do this stuff and he was smart enough to analyze the cut along with the beating Nate was taking. He put those two together and realized that it could lead to serious permanent injury for Nate. This isn’t a fight to the death, and Nate wasn’t coming back. The doctors not gonna risk his medical reputation for some dorks online that though Nate was gonna make a comeback. His eyelid was dropping and the two cuts were in inch apart from meeting which would have been catastrophic and the end of Nates career.

7 days ago
2/15/06
Nate was taking a horrible beating from a better fighter. The stoppage was merciful for him because he has a mental out for why he lost. But the bottom line is his beating would have only gotten worse.
7 days ago
3/4/12
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

That was the weakest attempt at a heel hook 1 and 2, you are not a fucking doctor, you have no idea what a "sealed" cut is, I would be confident in saying you most likely never even graduated high school let alone have a doctorate. 

1/1/01
CloakedStar - 
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

The cut was sealed... lmao good stuff buddy. This doctor is far smarter than you and likely knows more about fighting. He's trained to do this stuff and he was smart enough to analyze the cut along with the beating Nate was taking. He put those two together and realized that it could lead to serious permanent injury for Nate. This isn't a fight to the death, and Nate wasn't coming back. The doctors not gonna risk his medical reputation for some dorks online that though Nate was gonna make a comeback. His eyelid was dropping and the two cuts were in inch apart from meeting which would have been catastrophic and the end of Nates career.

"The doctors is far smarter than you and likely knows more about fighting"
Nope and nope LMAO. He admitted his bias and that he inappropriately based his decision outside his mandate and knowledge.
1/1/01
TheRealFOF - 
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

That was the weakest attempt at a heel hook 1 and 2, you are not a fucking doctor, you have no idea what a "sealed" cut is, I would be confident in saying you most likely never even graduated high school let alone have a doctorate. 

Then you're an idiot LOL. I have a JD from a top 20 law school and a Ph.D. in molecular biology and am a published scientist. Try again. It's sad that you kowtow to authority though instead of examining the evidence.
7 days ago
11/20/09

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/UnderGround/A-gray-area-we-should-discussdoctor-stoppages:2797869?pc=14

7 days ago
11/14/16

Everyone thinking that Nate would have come back 4th or 5th round LMAO . 

this is what happens when you deal with fanboys 

masvidal was working nates body hard! 
there is absolutely no fukn way nate would have done any better on the 4th and 5th round !

stop being stupid people seriously!

7 days ago
3/4/12
FatBuddha -
TheRealFOF - 
FatBuddha -
CloakedStar - 

Then you're an idiot LOL. I have a JD from a top 20 law school and a Ph.D. in molecular biology and am a published scientist. Try again. It's sad that you kowtow to authority though instead of examining the evidence.

evidence? how the fuck am I supposed to know your backround lol... You are not a surgeon so I am still saying fuck off lol, how can someone with your "education" not agree that cut could of end of up being a career ender for Nate, there was 1/2" of skin between the eye lid and the corner of his eyebrow, Masvidal has brutal elbows... one more and it could of done real damage, I wish the fight went on but the reality is, the ref is in there to protect the fighters and he called in the ring side physician. Im not mad at the decision. 

7 days ago
3/4/12

And what does a law degree have to do with cuts, you may be more proficient in molecular science or able to help some me cite some old case studies but come on, ill take the word of a doctor who specializes in this shit but fair enough, some guy on UG aint going to change my mind about the fight. Nate was getting pieced up more than he has in any other fight in his UFC career.

7 days ago
1/1/01
TheRealFOF - 

And what does a law degree have to do with cuts, you may be more proficient in molecular science or able to help some me cite some old case studies but come on, ill take the word of a doctor who specializes in this shit but fair enough, some guy on UG aint going to change my mind about the fight. Nate was getting pieced up more than he has in any other fight in his UFC career.

It has to do with the ability to analyze evidence, credibility, and bias. You made my education an issue. Don't move the goal post now. Any expert must be judged on their bias. He literally admitted that he based his opinion on his bias and not on his medical knowledge.