UnderGround Forums Enough With The Calvin Bullshit

Edited: 1/18/21 6:45 PM
12/17/06

He's a man. He is responsible for himself. This whole notion of putting it on the ref or his corner is absurd. You're basically saying that he's too dumb/prideful to think for himself. Stop the pearl clutching. Personal responsibility.

1/18/21 6:46 PM
8/15/07
I don't know, man, I feel like Hobbes put him up to a lot of stuff.
1/18/21 6:50 PM
5/13/05

Side question, Alto, have you ever made a katana? 

1/18/21 6:50 PM
7/15/13
Soul Gravy - I don't know, man, I feel like Hobbes put him up to a lot of stuff.

Ha I get it

1/18/21 6:54 PM
2/9/09

Im not sure, I think the corner should have thrown the towel in

1/18/21 7:13 PM
3/31/14

I wish wilders corner didn’t throw in the towel.he wanted to go to sleep, let him go to sleep next time 

1/18/21 8:59 PM
12/17/06
cyberc92 -

Side question, Alto, have you ever made a katana? 

No sir. Wakazashi, yes. Katana, no. Not as of yet anyway. That sort of stuff takes the patience of an older man. Maybe once I hit 40 :))

Edited: 1/18/21 9:00 PM
12/17/06
Bend The Knee -

No. This is for our entertainment. That's what they get paid for. Same as me. Every last piece I make takes time off my life. Oh well. That's the profession I chose.

If I wanted a long life, I'd go work in an office.

1/18/21 9:01 PM
12/17/06
Bukkaked by Bombers -

I wish wilders corner didn’t throw in the towel.he wanted to go to sleep, let him go to sleep next time 

Yup

Edited: 1/18/21 9:02 PM
12/17/06
Soul Gravy - I don't know, man, I feel like Hobbes put him up to a lot of stuff.

I like this.

But then again, I'm also amused by all the half-nude grandmas you used to post on the OG.

Do you need a new blue name?

1/18/21 9:04 PM
2/9/09
Altofsky -
Bend The Knee -

No. This is for our entertainment. That's what they get paid for. Same as me. Every last piece I make takes time off my life. Oh well. That's the profession I chose.

Troll?

Edited: 1/18/21 9:54 PM
12/17/06
Bend The Knee -
Altofsky -
Bend The Knee -

Troll?

Absolutely not. Some of us actually put our time on the line for our money. If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

Edited: 1/18/21 9:59 PM
12/17/06

Dead ass serious. Every single knife I make, regardless of PPE, takes minutes off of my life. Some people choose professions that come with that cost. That is a conscious decision. It is understood. 

I could've chosen a profession that does not come with the inherent risk of lung cancer. But I didn't. 

Some professions come with risk. Those of us who go that route understand the risk. It is not up to outsiders to tell us when to stop.

1/18/21 10:01 PM
1/1/01

Explain how knife making takes minutes off your life please?

1/18/21 10:02 PM
12/17/06

Bend The Knee..

If you were to put me through a cancer screening right now and say, "Hey, Alto... You're at significant risk for lung cancer. You should stop grinding steel to dust right now!!"... 

I'd tell you to kindly go fuck yourself. Kindly. This is what I chose. I understand the risk. It is my responsibility. Not yours. Not anybody else's.

1/18/21 10:04 PM
12/17/06
Chris -

Seriously?

Regardless of any PPE, I inhale steel, brass, antler, wood, copper, tin, flux, quench oil fumes, etc every single day of the week.

1/18/21 10:06 PM
1/1/01
Altofsky - 
Chris -

Seriously?

Regardless of any PPE, I inhale steel, brass, antler, wood, copper, tin, flux, quench oil fumes, etc every single day of the week.

so if you wear you're an N95 mask through the entire knife making process, you will still inhale those products?

1/18/21 10:07 PM
12/17/06

Is it as bad as CTE? Fuck me if I know.

But Chris... you and your brother fight fires professionally, yes?

So have I.

Some professions come with risk. Yet we do them just the same.

Edited: 1/18/21 10:15 PM
12/17/06
Chris -
Altofsky - 
Chris -

Seriously?

so if you wear you're an N95 mask through the entire knife making process, you will still inhale those products?

Absolutely. N95s are not fool proof and they are not guaranteed to stop a damn thing, even when properly fit tested. That's why I'm still insured by a company that I worked for 15 years ago.

1/18/21 10:10 PM
12/17/06

Goddamn, look at all that blank space just from hitting backspace.

1/18/21 10:18 PM
1/1/01

I don't think the comparison is fair. I have trained and coached in MMA for 20 years. The responsibility of a coach goes way beyond the 15 (or 25 minutes) in the cage. It is their responsibility to train, coach, mentor a fighter for a successful CAREER, not for a single fight.

1/2 way through the 3rd round it was clear as day that Calvin could not win the fight. He was badly injured and fatigured. It's not football where a hail mary is the same in the 1st quarter as it is in the 4th quarter. Calvin could have landed the hardest strike he could muster and it wouldn't have been enough. The fight was over. At that point, Calvin was just taking damage that could have irreperable effects for not only the rest of his career, but his life.

Edited: 1/18/21 10:20 PM
12/17/06
Chris -

I don't think the comparison is fair. I have trained and coached in MMA for 20 years. The responsibility of a coach goes way beyond the 15 (or 25 minutes) in the cage. It is their responsibility to train, coach, mentor a fighter for a successful CAREER, not for a single fight.

1/2 way through the 3rd round it was clear as day that Calvin could not win the fight. He was badly injured and fatigured. It's not football where a hail mary is the same in the 1st quarter as it is in the 4th quarter. Calvin could have landed the hardest strike he could muster and it wouldn't have been enough. The fight was over. At that point, Calvin was just taking damage that could have irreperable effects for not only the rest of his career, but his life.

You know I love you. A disagreement will not change that. 

That said, no. Responsibility falls to the individual. Always.

My wife loves me more than any coach ever could. She could tell me to stop doing what I do. I won't. Not until I'm done.

Surely you can understand that.

1/18/21 10:35 PM
6/14/12
Altofsky -
Chris -

My wife loves me more than any coach ever could. She could tell me to stop doing what I do. I won't. Not until I'm done.

Your wife isnt your coach. Cant throw in a towel.

Omg what an absurd analogy. You have to be trolling. 

1/18/21 10:36 PM
1/1/01
Altofsky - 
Chris -

I understand your argument to a point. Fighters chose the profession. Calvin would never quit on himself, even if that means dealing with the potential consequences that could and may effect him for the rest of his life, not just put him in an early grave. 

The issue is that a decision made in the heat of the moment is not necessarily one someone would make of sound mind, and as a coach you have to take into consideration whether or not that athlete would actually choose those consequences knowing they were for nothing. Calvin likely believed he could still win, so he was willing to keep fighting regardless of the consquence. He was completey unaware that he could not win that fight, and if he were, then maybe would make the decision himself.

Would you choose to continue making knives and take those same risks if for example your knives just went in the trash when you were done with them? They never serve a purpose, are never sold, are not a way to support your family, etc. 

1/18/21 10:37 PM
1/1/01
The fighter's job is to fight.

The ref and corner's job is to protect the fighter.