6 days ago
1/1/01

Still don't know how he lost to Bob Sapp though

6 days ago
1/1/01

Sapp had weird rhythm I guess?

6 days ago
1/11/17

The Sapp fight was surely very late in his career.
Plus Sapp was a fucking monster that must have weighed 100 pounds more. It was a long time ago but I felt like Hoost style kind of played into Sapp's stengths, you couldn't block the shit he threw, you had to get out of the way until the end of round 1.

6 days ago
9/20/19
HaMMerHouseFAN -

Still don't know how he lost to Bob Sapp though

2x's 

6 days ago
8/3/11

Monster in his prime, monster in retirement

6 days ago
1/1/01

His combos are so seamless. Punch punch punch leg kick. So smooth

6 days ago
1/1/01

Fighters like him, hug, and Peter (?) was awesome to watch back in the day. 

6 days ago
7/2/15

I really miss K-1.

Hoost, Aerts, Hug, Cro Cop, Le Banner, etc. They had a fucking murderers row of talent on their roster. When you watched K-1 fights, there was never any doubt you were seeing the best kickboxers in the world on the biggest stage. Sure they had some squash matches and freak show fights toward the end, but it's Japan and they were struggling for ratings by then. I used to look forward to getting my bootleg VHS of the Grand Prix as much or more than the UFC. 

I don't really follow kickboxing anymore, but it occurred to me recently, where is the next generation of incredible heavyweight kickboxers? We have Verhoeven and Hari competing in Glory and the like but it doesn't have anything close to the grandeur and intensity of the K-1 days. It feels as if amazing heavyweight kickboxing more or less died with K-1. 

5 days ago
8/15/07

He's the example I use when I'm trying to tell people the importance of setting up kicks.

5 days ago
10/11/18

ttt

5 days ago
1/1/01
Vrill -

I really miss K-1.

Hoost, Aerts, Hug, Cro Cop, Le Banner, etc. They had a fucking murderers row of talent on their roster. When you watched K-1 fights, there was never any doubt you were seeing the best kickboxers in the world on the biggest stage. Sure they had some squash matches and freak show fights toward the end, but it's Japan and they were struggling for ratings by then. I used to look forward to getting my bootleg VHS of the Grand Prix as much or more than the UFC. 

I don't really follow kickboxing anymore, but it occurred to me recently, where is the next generation of incredible heavyweight kickboxers? We have Verhoeven and Hari competing in Glory and the like but it doesn't have anything close to the grandeur and intensity of the K-1 days. It feels as if amazing heavyweight kickboxing more or less died with K-1. 

Its like... where is the excitment for HW kickboxing outside Holland.

Feels like there is none.

Loved the K1 GPs.

5 days ago
1/1/01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TtSIaChsgg?feature=oembed

5 days ago
1/1/01
Vrill - 

I really miss K-1.

That era (think early to mid or even late '00s) was special, in general.

K1, Pride, the UFC (though to a slight lesser extent), boxing...

It was *such* a good time to be a fight fan.

5 days ago
10/4/02

People didn't know that Sapp could be broken, until Crocop did it. Hoost didn't know what to do with him and somehow didn't find Sapp's weaknesses. If he would have just loaded up a power kick or knee the way Cop did he could have taken him, but it just didn't seem possible back then. I love Hoost, many legends inspecting the canvas in that clip!

5 days ago
1/1/01
androushka - 

People didn't know that Sapp could be broken, until Crocop did it. Hoost didn't know what to do with him and somehow didn't find Sapp's weaknesses. If he would have just loaded up a power kick or knee the way Cop did he could have taken him, but it just didn't seem possible back then. I love Hoost, many legends inspecting the canvas in that clip!

Hoost knocked Sapp down with a body shot IIRC, though.

Sapp got back up after that & KO'd him.

5 days ago
6/27/05

That fucking Crocop punch was epic!

5 days ago
3/8/04

Didn't Sapp hit Hoost 10-15 times after the bell and they just called a win for Sapo instead of a dq?

5 days ago
11/8/09

I did a seminar with Hoost a few years ago. Really great instructor. 

5 days ago
5/19/17
jju -

Didn't Sapp hit Hoost 10-15 times after the bell and they just called a win for Sapo instead of a dq?

One fight they stopped during the break. The other one was clean i believe. Sapp had to win, Japan love those freakshows. 

5 days ago
3/20/12
Kirik - 

sapp was 350 and using ripped fuel

5 days ago
5/19/17
Rambo John J -
Kirik - 

He actually knocked Hoost across the ring. He had old man retard strength

5 days ago
9/27/15

What happened to the hvwt kickboxing scene? Where are the tough hvwt European strikers at? Are they just not training kickboxing due to its decline in popularity?

Mosr of those k-1 guys were very juicy

5 days ago
11/14/16
Rambo John J -
Kirik - 

Yup completely different animal than he became in the latter part of his career. 

5 days ago
5/3/09

Don't think anyone who lost to Bop Sapp out of all people (mind you Hoost was not even semi-retired at that point) was a monster in any sense of the word