UnderGround Forums Ernesto Hoost was such a monster in his prime

12 days ago
5/3/09
androushka -

People didn't know that Sapp could be broken, until Crocop did it. Hoost didn't know what to do with him and somehow didn't find Sapp's weaknesses. If he would have just loaded up a power kick or knee the way Cop did he could have taken him, but it just didn't seem possible back then. I love Hoost, many legends inspecting the canvas in that clip!

That only proves Hoost was not that good. Sapp was a very basic fighter, for an all time great figuring him out should have been easy, but he lost not only once but twice. 

12 days ago
6/17/12
tapi -
androushka -

People didn't know that Sapp could be broken, until Crocop did it. Hoost didn't know what to do with him and somehow didn't find Sapp's weaknesses. If he would have just loaded up a power kick or knee the way Cop did he could have taken him, but it just didn't seem possible back then. I love Hoost, many legends inspecting the canvas in that clip!

That only proves Hoost was not that good. Sapp was a very basic fighter, for an all time great figuring him out should have been easy, but he lost not only once but twice. 

Lol 'not that good.'

Think about what you're saying. He was so average that he won the K-1 tournament 4 times.

Sit down.

12 days ago
1/11/17
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand -
tapi -
androushka -

Lol 'not that good.'

Think about what you're saying. He was so average that he won the K-1 tournament 4 times.

Sit down.

They called him Mr Perfect because he was... aight.

12 days ago
5/19/17

Hoost himself said in interviews that he was kind of a lazy fighter. He said he would normally give about 60%. That is why now he is without any injury or cte, Peter Aerts on the other hand is slurring words, has destroyed shins. 

12 days ago
11/2/09

Left hook to the body and right low kick. Hoost was amazing with that combo :)

11 days ago
1/1/01
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - 
tapi -
androushka -

Lol 'not that good.'

Sit down.

lol this.

At the time, Big Nog was one of, if not *the* best MMA fighter on the planet - and even he only barely beat Sapp.

Early in his career Sapp was a beast (pun kinda intended) simply because he was huge, strong AF, decently athletic (at least for a guy his size, anyway), and was still hungry.

11 days ago
4/20/08

One of the Sapp fights was a bullshit stoppage. K1 had a lot of bullshit stoppages

11 days ago
4/20/08
tapi -
androushka -

I think it proves both that Sapp was a fucking monster, hell bent on wrecking folks, and that high level kick boxing was and is still very very overrated due to a small talent pool. 

11 days ago
7/8/09

And Bob Sapp beat him twice. How crazy is that. The Man Who K.Od Kimbo beat Bob Sapp

11 days ago
11/20/08
androushka -

Hoost was a superb technician with an amazing finesse. That allowed him to beat bigger guys like CroCop, Bernardo, LeBanner and others. With Sapp the difference was just too large. CroCop on the other hand had enough raw power to put Sapp away.

The way Sapp vs Hoost went about was hilarious! Sapp had absolutely no respect for Hoost, this legend which every other top fighter feared and respected.

11 days ago
6/8/10
HillboFrateTrane -
HaMMerHouseFAN -

Still don't know how he lost to Bob Sapp though

2x's 

The fact he best him twice is impressive 

10 days ago
10/4/02

Hoost dropped Sapp with a body shot? completly forgot about that. I remember Sapp just being too big and unorthodox and Hoost not able to get it under control in time. I think Sapp also had way more of a contender attitude back then, later on he just kind of mailed it in and got payed. See the Nogueira fight as someone mentioned. With his size he was dangerous when he really came after you and not just did his feather coat Beast entrance and layed down at the first serious shot

10 days ago
10/4/02

In regards to the level of the sport back then. I agree that the defence was poor, it was all offence, that's why there were so many ko's. If you look at muay thai an boxing, defence is huge, in k-1 and mma, not so much. That's also why Sapp could be effective, nobody cared about evading shots, it was just about dishing it out.

Edited: 10 days ago
9/20/19
ons ear -

What happened to the hvwt kickboxing scene? Where are the tough hvwt European strikers at? Are they just not training kickboxing due to its decline in popularity?

Mosr of those k-1 guys were very juicy

It’s still pretty big, but it’s dead in Japan and there isn’t a huge American audience. Japanese get super into shit and then the floor will drop out on national interest. K-1 and then Pride did insane gates and ratings in their primes and then died. Domestic Glory shows have a couple marquee fights and then it’s all underwhelming local talent like bellator. 

Tons of westerners are fighting in Thailand. 

10 days ago
9/20/19
ProteinOverdrive -
androushka -

Hoost was a superb technician with an amazing finesse. That allowed him to beat bigger guys like CroCop, Bernardo, LeBanner and others. With Sapp the difference was just too large. CroCop on the other hand had enough raw power to put Sapp away.

The way Sapp vs Hoost went about was hilarious! Sapp had absolutely no respect for Hoost, this legend which every other top fighter feared and respected.

No, hoost acted like a reckless moron getting into firefights with Sapp both times instead of out pointing him or dropping him with legs kicks in the later rounds which likely wouldn’t have been hard. He let his ego get in the way. Pretty much all on him. 

I’d argue hoost was more of killer than Crocop in K-1. Crocop also got knocked out by Randleman lite, Michael McDonald, in k-1. 

10 days ago
10/4/02

^ that was the one weakness of all those guys and that style in that era. They didn't defend, they just fired back. Sapp would have never been able to hit a top boxer or muay thai boxer

10 days ago
3/12/15
HaMMerHouseFAN -

Sapp was a beast before he started throwing fights 

10 days ago
3/12/15
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -

And Bob Sapp beat him twice. How crazy is that. The Man Who K.Od Kimbo beat Bob Sapp

Actually Sapp destroyed Seth 

10 days ago
11/20/08
HillboFrateTrane -
ProteinOverdrive -
androushka -

No, hoost acted like a reckless moron getting into firefights with Sapp both times instead of out pointing him or dropping him with legs kicks in the later rounds which likely wouldn’t have been hard. He let his ego get in the way. Pretty much all on him. 

I’d argue hoost was more of killer than Crocop in K-1. Crocop also got knocked out by Randleman lite, Michael McDonald, in k-1. 

He threw everything at him when Sapp was advancing on him and actually cutting the ring pretty effectively. There was nothing else he could do. Taking Sapp down required power, Hoost did not have that, at one point Sapp started protecting his liver and just let Hoost tee off at his head freely without any effect.

10 days ago
4/24/14
HaMMerHouseFAN -

I think this is forever going to be the first thing that comes to everyone's heads when Hoost is mentioned. It's so crazy.

5 days ago
7/27/11
HillboFrateTrane -
ProteinOverdrive -
androushka -

Yeah, Izzy is pretty critical of dutch kickboxing for that reason.

Being a destroyer is cool and all, but you can't be the hammer all the time...