UnderGround Forums Fighter snatches defeat from the jaws of victory

13 days ago
1/1/01

On the undercard of Friday's UAE Warriors 12 in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE local 2-5 featherweight Ahmad Al Darmaki got the tap with a Rear Naked choke vs. Uzbekistan's Bogdan Kirilenko.

Then he refused to release it.

Then he shoved referee Marc Goddard who was having a stern word with him.

Then he leapt up onto the cage to celebrate.

Then he got DQ'd.

13 days ago
1/1/01

That's the meanest thing I have ever heard you say. I am almost proud of you.

13 days ago
7/2/09

What a tard.  Good luck at ever progressing to the UFC after that. 

13 days ago
1/1/01
U4EA - 

That's the meanest thing I have ever heard you say. I am almost proud of you.

You don't know me! ;-)

13 days ago
6/14/12

Fuck that guy.

Marc should have smeshed him.

13 days ago
6/27/02

I don't like taking the win away... Harsh punishments for post fight stuff are fine, but he did win the fight.

13 days ago
1/1/01

That guy is a douche.  I hope he got fined and suspended.

13 days ago
2/5/16

Decent call giving the DQ, it’s the rules too

13 days ago
11/20/09
KirkBJJ -

I don't like taking the win away... Harsh punishments for post fight stuff are fine, but he did win the fight.

Completely disagree.  By not giving him the win, it will encourage him to change his asshole ways.

I've watched mma since UFC 1 and stuff like this is not the norm, and for good reason.

Is there background unknown context we should know about these two fighters?

13 days ago
1/5/11
KirkBJJ -

Meh, pretty evident the guy didn't let go after a clear tap. Then, he starts with Goddard. A DQ is getting off easy, but I'll bet there is more to come.

13 days ago
8/20/03

There is a set of rules in place.

The ref said let it go.

He did not.

EVEN IF he was unsure the ref was telling him to let go in the moment because he was so caught up, the ensuing shoving of the ref is so unsportsmanlike than it deserves the DQ.

There is a real under current these days of disrepect being shown to officials that I think this sets a great precedent.

13 days ago
7/2/15

What a punk. I wish the video showed him reacting to the DQ. 

13 days ago
7/22/15

I would have been ok with Mark delivering one to the balls. 

13 days ago
5/15/15
KirkBJJ -

It was a DQ all day long, every day of the week.

13 days ago
10/21/10

Have to set a precedent. You can not under any circumstance touch a ref. I’d have no problem with a 5-10 year or even lifetime ban. 

13 days ago
3/10/09

Putting your hands on a ref like that should be a 2 year ban. Not to mention ignoring the refs instructions. 

13 days ago
1/1/01

Man, this thread would have gotten so many more views if you left the title at “fighter snatches...” and then started the post with ...defeat from the jaws of victory 

btw, absolutely on board with dq, what a dummy!

13 days ago
1/7/09

shame the video didn't catch the reaction to the DQ

13 days ago
7/31/09
KirkBJJ -

Youre in a sport. Acting with a degree of sportsmanship is REQUIRED. You can be a douchebag all day, talk all the shit you want but you cannot hold onto subs after the refs pulling on you to release. And you most definitely cannot be shoving referees. Unless a ref hits you theyre fucking off limits and its not a grey area at all.

And the "fight", in a professional setting, is not over until the winner has been announced. That includes not shoving referees. These harsh rules are in place for a reason.

Dudes lucky Goddard didn't smash the fuck outta him. 

13 days ago
6/27/02

I'm not defending the guy by the way... ban him for life for all I care but he held it for like a second and a half. When Babalu did that and the guy went to sleep, he kept his win. This guy who tapped popped right up and it wasn't much worse than BJ / Pulver if at all. Then big bad Goddard had to act like a tough guy again with an amped up fighter.

13 days ago
11/24/13
jgiveshead -

What a tard.  Good luck at ever progressing to the UFC after that. 

Well he’s 2-6 now and that looked like some pretty low level skills on display. I’d say there’s no risk of seeing him in the big show, all things considered.

13 days ago
1/1/01

People holding onto subs after the tap need to be punished, it's one of the worst things you can do in the sport.

13 days ago
7/11/12

Have a feeling Goddard could spark him clean

13 days ago
3/13/18

Looks like an asshole

13 days ago
11/20/09
KirkBJJ - 

I'm not defending the guy by the way... ban him for life for all I care but he held it for like a second and a half. When Babalu did that and the guy went to sleep, he kept his win. This guy who tapped popped right up and it wasn't much worse than BJ / Pulver if at all. Then big bad Goddard had to act like a tough guy again with an amped up fighter.

How many years did that Babalu incident happen, and here we are in 2020 and fans still remember it.  

What does that say about these type of acts?  

There are some differences and context known vs not known between the two. 

David Heath was out of bounds for wearing a t-shirt at the weigh ins with Babalu's mugshot on there.  That is too far imo. 

Babalu didn't just hold the choke b/c he's an asshole, he did it in retaliation. That context is known. 

I am consistent and already asked in this thread above if there is some unknown context between the two fighters in the Op that we do not know about. If there is, I'd like to hear it.  If there isn't, it's absolutely inexcusable.