UnderGround Forums Fighters asked who they'd choose to lead union

6/4/20 11:52 AM
1/1/01

Who would you choose?

Edited: 6/4/20 11:55 AM
2/9/09

Conor would make a good stuart. Chael is smart but too crooked...Id go with Brian Stann or Shane Carwin maybe? (If they'd wanna be involved) 

Damien Maia also seems very smart and he's a nice guy so Id go that route as well

6/4/20 12:02 PM
2/25/15

You want the best person for a job like that, not the most famous. Conor would be great to have a part of it for the attention he would draw but probably not the best to lead it. Someone like Cruz or Stann or retired guy like Franklin would be good. Left field mention for James Kraus as well he seems smart and presents well and from what his fighters say about him is a great leader/communicator as a coach as well 

6/4/20 12:17 PM
2/17/03

Daniel Cormier.

The UFC co-opting him as a commentator and company guy is one of their greatest coups.

6/4/20 12:22 PM
7/2/09

I'm sure Conor would be great, up until the next coke fueled rampage.  And then we'd be back here, asking the athletes who their next pick is.

DC is well respected but seems too close to the organization. 

GSP.  This is the correct answer.  He's had the highest level representation from a well known talent agency, so he understands how fighters should be valued.  Conor is probably a better pick in this regard, but choosing Conor is like choosing a teenager to run your billion dollar organization.  GSP is the dad of the teenager that you should be giving that job to.

6/4/20 12:31 PM
1/1/01

Cowboy? That is laughable. He would skip all the meetings to go snowboarding, diving or offroading all the time.

Good luck getting him to reply to an email after he has been out all day riding quads, bull riding and drinking Budweisers.

6/4/20 12:34 PM
12/27/06

I think Guy Metzger Chuck Liddell George St Pierre Chael Sonnen and Dan Cromier would be a great board 

6/4/20 12:37 PM
2/29/16

It would have to be McGregor. He has the best card to play.

6/4/20 12:45 PM
8/18/13

You need a group. Cowboy, Smith, Kennedy & Miocic are laughable choices.

Conor, Cruz, Maia, Roxy & GSP would cover all bases. All smart people, men and women represented, multiple disciplines represented, and the two biggest draws in the history of the sport onboard 

It ain’t gonna happen though 

6/4/20 12:47 PM
1/5/15

I think khabib would be great

6/4/20 12:49 PM
1/1/01

Chael all the way

6/4/20 1:09 PM
9/26/10
The Closed Guard -

Conor would make a good stuart. Chael is smart but too crooked...Id go with Brian Stann or Shane Carwin maybe? (If they'd wanna be involved) 

Damien Maia also seems very smart and he's a nice guy so Id go that route as well

I might be totally off the mark, but I get shady vibes from Carwin for some reason. I don't know if I read something, somewhere a long way back. 

6/4/20 1:13 PM
9/19/13

Conor knows the limits of how the business is able to generate revenue. He is in the best position for that job.

6/4/20 1:17 PM
7/2/09
ufc98newb -
The Closed Guard -

I might be totally off the mark, but I get shady vibes from Carwin for some reason. I don't know if I read something, somewhere a long way back. 

If I'm not mistaken, his name came up in one of the BALCO investigations.

6/4/20 1:17 PM
11/10/18

Smith, Cowboy, and Miocic? Lmfao

6/4/20 1:23 PM
6/14/12

cruz

6/4/20 1:24 PM
6/14/12
jgiveshead -
ufc98newb -
The Closed Guard -

If I'm not mistaken, his name came up in one of the BALCO investigations.

yes.

6/4/20 1:41 PM
1/1/01

DC

6/4/20 1:41 PM
11/24/07
jgiveshead -

I'm sure Conor would be great, up until the next coke fueled rampage.  And then we'd be back here, asking the athletes who their next pick is.

GSP.  This is the correct answer.  He's had the highest level representation from a well known talent agency, so he understands how fighters should be valued.  Conor is probably a better pick in this regard, but choosing Conor is like choosing a teenager to run your billion dollar organization.  GSP is the dad of the teenager that you should be giving that job to.

No one has maximized their leverage better than Conor. Plus having him part of the union would be incentive for him to get the most for everybody. 

6/4/20 1:52 PM
4/25/11

Chael. He is shifty enough to be able to make it a level playing field with the lying ass companies. I've been a Teamster for 24 years. Yes. My Business Agents and Treasurer s and Reps are all corrupt lying pieces of shit. But, I didn't realize til I sat in on my first contract negotiations that if they were not, they would be eaten alive by the companies labor folks who are just as shady (or worse) than the Union cats.

6/4/20 2:46 PM
7/2/09
da Vinci 81 -
jgiveshead -

No one has maximized their leverage better than Conor. Plus having him part of the union would be incentive for him to get the most for everybody. 

Hey, I agree Conor's the best suited for the job.  I'm just wondering how long it'd last.  GSP is a close second, plus you know he's not going to be going to jail for raping people, drug fuelled assaults, etc.

6/4/20 3:11 PM
4/21/12
jscorbett -

Chael all the way

Yeah, I have to go with him. If what you're looking for is an articulate spokesman who can think on his feet and who can present a reasoned argument, Chael has the best skills and experience. I've thought for years that he is impressively intelligent, and I believe he has the respect of a huge number of MMA fighters. 

6/4/20 3:44 PM
11/24/07
jgiveshead -
da Vinci 81 -
jgiveshead -

Hey, I agree Conor's the best suited for the job.  I'm just wondering how long it'd last.  GSP is a close second, plus you know he's not going to be going to jail for raping people, drug fuelled assaults, etc.

True. It’s not really like any of them would be doing any negotiating, that would be left to lawyers. So whoever does it would mostly be a figurehead for public appearances and mobilizing support from other fighters. 

6/4/20 5:12 PM
3/2/12

On that list, Cormier.

Not on that list, Wonderboy and Rich Franklin.

Edited: 6/4/20 5:26 PM
1/1/01

Lol Conor is an unstable cokehead.

DC And anyone on the broadcast team are too close to corporate. 

Chael is too self interested. Just doesnt feel like a good fit but i can see why some would...

Off the top of my head id go with Henry, Dj or Franklin. Probably Franklin.