UnderGround Forums GSP Vs. Hendricks

5/21/19 5:39 PM
3/16/18

As stated, everything came down to the first round, and the first round was very close.

Hendricks landed 27 total strikes to GSP's 26. GSP, however, would land 19 significant strikes to Hendricks' 18. Both fighters landed one takedown. GSP was also recorded as attempting a guillotine choke (though he did not come close to finishing the fight with it).

5/21/19 11:33 PM
6/30/10

The sport of mma lost his credibility that night. It was horrible to watch that decision, i still can see the wtf faces of Forrest Griffin, Dana and all the fans who were there. And Firaz telling George to act like he really won... Even George had a wtf face. Worst day in mma history. 

5/21/19 11:46 PM
2/22/09
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 

As stated, everything came down to the first round, and the first round was very close.

Hendricks landed 27 total strikes to GSP's 26. GSP, however, would land 19 significant strikes to Hendricks' 18. Both fighters landed one takedown. GSP was also recorded as attempting a guillotine choke (though he did not come close to finishing the fight with it).

Good summary. It was a close fight that could have gone either way.
5/21/19 11:47 PM
5/11/19

Disagree, Hendricks did more damage in that fight, but it was pretty easy to score 3 - 2 for GSP.  Not even a tough fight to score, really...

5/22/19 4:46 AM
9/26/10

would have to rewatch fight at this point. 

maybe what many perceived was a result of expectations. GSP was a clear favorite, so anything Hendricks did well was gonna look a little better than it really was. 

5/22/19 5:10 AM
2/28/13

Hendricks beat the shit outta gsp

5/22/19 5:26 AM
12/23/08

Regardless of what any Canadian will tell you, Hendricks should have gotten his hand raised that night.

5/22/19 6:03 AM
7/10/12

Fight aside, Hendricks is a loser compared to GSP

Universe recognized this and made the cookie crumble appropriately 

5/22/19 6:07 AM
3/15/19

If you have the opportunity to watch round 1, do so without commentary. I 100% thought GSP lost that round and fight, but Joes commentary was crazy biased. 

Every close punch was ‘OH MY GOD HENDRICKS ALMOST KILLED HIM! HOW IS HE STILL STANDING!!!’

With the sound off, you can see power punches that GSP slips. It’s still a close round, but watching without commentary will lead you to think that there wasn’t a bad call. 

5/22/19 6:17 AM
1/1/11
Lite - 
MrTamliani - 

So I recently rewatched GSP Vs. Hendricks and I got to say Hendricks won that fight. I mean it was close and Hendricks wasn’t really robbed, but I think there was no doubt it should’ve went in Hendricks favor. Now of course you say that pre Usada Hendricks was different and that may be true, but at the end of the day we don’t really know if he was using or not...

I think we know.

I basically agree with you on all points, with one added. Hendricks probably won, but it was close. It wasn't an outrageous robbery. And in retrospect, It would have been a shame for GSP to have a loss to Hendricks undermine his legacy when everybody close to the fight knew Hendricks was juicing, tried their damnedest but failed to get him to fight clean only afterwards to see the bottom drop out of his career when USADA hit.

Don't get me wrong. Hendricks was a good fighter, and it's certainly plausible that GSP was also juicing at times--there's speculation--but that is something we should acknowledge we don't know.

Not only was he using, and GSP knew it - this is the fight that started the path of USADA entering the UFC.

So the fighter whose career was most affected by USADA was the reason we got USADA in the first place.
5/22/19 6:28 AM
1/23/06
I remember watching it live thinking GSP distinctly won by taking the 5th round. My memory might be mistaken but didn't Hendricks take the last round off thinking he was ahead? He cost himself by coasting. All the damage was one sided though.

Can't blame GSP for retiring after that one. That was his 7th five round decision win in a row as Champion.
5/22/19 8:37 AM
5/7/08

GSP won 3 rounds to 2. I don't know what everyone was watching in that fight, GSP wins round 5 more clearly than Hendricks wins round 2. Hendricks lands a big shot in round 2 but then GSP comes back and wins the last 3:30 of the round. Round 1 is GSP, 2 is Hendricks, 3 is GSP, 4 is Hendricks, then Hendricks stops fighting in round 5 and GSP easily wins that round. 3 rounds to 2, clear as day. Very very close fight, but the winner was clear and they got it right.

5/22/19 8:41 AM
5/7/08
ufc98newb -

maybe what many perceived was a result of expectations. GSP was a clear favorite, so anything Hendricks did well was gonna look a little better than it really was. 

Exactly this. People let the shock of Hendricks doing as well as he did against GSP cloud their judgement. I've seen someone on here arguing that the knockdown in round 2 meant it should have been a 10-8 for Hendricks. People lost touch with reality when it came to that fight.

5/22/19 9:47 AM
6/1/10
NEWSFLASH -
Lite - 
MrTamliani - 

So I recently rewatched GSP Vs. Hendricks and I got to say Hendricks won that fight. I mean it was close and Hendricks wasn’t really robbed, but I think there was no doubt it should’ve went in Hendricks favor. Now of course you say that pre Usada Hendricks was different and that may be true, but at the end of the day we don’t really know if he was using or not...

I think we know.

I basically agree with you on all points, with one added. Hendricks probably won, but it was close. It wasn't an outrageous robbery. And in retrospect, It would have been a shame for GSP to have a loss to Hendricks undermine his legacy when everybody close to the fight knew Hendricks was juicing, tried their damnedest but failed to get him to fight clean only afterwards to see the bottom drop out of his career when USADA hit.

Don't get me wrong. Hendricks was a good fighter, and it's certainly plausible that GSP was also juicing at times--there's speculation--but that is something we should acknowledge we don't know.

Not only was he using, and GSP knew it - this is the fight that started the path of USADA entering the UFC.

So the fighter whose career was most affected by USADA was the reason we got USADA in the first place.

Yep remember GSP accusing him of cheating saying he was hiring an investigator to go through Hendricks trash to look for proof. 

GSP left because he felt there was a lack of testing and it was all shady including the UFC. Hendricks fell off completely looked like a totally different person 

5/22/19 10:05 AM
3/19/04
Real Muthaphuckkin G - 

Great breakdown in your 3 posts. Extremely close fight. I want to watch it yet again.
5/22/19 10:05 AM
3/19/04
MayorPirkle - 
ufc98newb -

Exactly this. People let the shock of Hendricks doing as well as he did against GSP cloud their judgement. I've seen someone on here arguing that the knockdown in round 2 meant it should have been a 10-8 for Hendricks. People lost touch with reality when it came to that fight.

"Exactly this. People let the shock of Hendricks doing as well as he did against GSP cloud their judgement."

I think there was some of that.
5/22/19 10:07 AM
3/19/04
I also think GSP looked good to start the 4th and had the momentum, if I recall correctly, and then he slipped and Hendricks capitalized and got on top of him. Would have loved to see how that round would have played out without the slip. My money is on GSP as he won 3 and 5 and looked good in 4 before the slip.
5/22/19 12:55 PM
12/26/18

Gsp won when I watch it again. All Hendricks can do is throw haymakers on the feet and besides Georges face looking rough ( which doesn't mean shit). I had it 60/40 for George

5/22/19 4:42 PM
3/24/15

3-2 GSP clearly 

5/22/19 4:51 PM
8/20/03

8/20/03

8/20/03

Edited: 5/22/19 6:09 PM
10/26/05
Just rewatched the fight. It's free on UFC.com...

My opinion is changed...Hendricks had some big moments. But the fight was very clearly a win for GSP. Not hard to score 3-2...could find an argument for 4-1.
5/22/19 5:59 PM
4/2/08

Everyone thinking it was a robbery has more to do with psychology then anything. Everyone was so used to GSP dominating every round, that when he didnt it felt like Hendricks did better than he actually did. 

5/22/19 6:36 PM
6/22/13

It was a tough fight... and I thought I was witnessing GSP's defeat coming into round 5.  But god damn it... he proved why I love him, he bit down and took rd 5 convincingly.  The momentum was with Hendricks and he decided to coast…. You don’t beat the champ by coasting and GSP proved why he is the champ with that 5th round effort.   Mentally GSP was not in that fight while Hendricks was hungry…. It was Hendricks fight to loose and he let it slip away in that 5th.  

If a rematch was held today… we all know how that would go.