UnderGround Forums GSP somehow in better shape at 37 than ever

9/18/18 3:03 PM
1/1/01
StrikingMMA - 
SinCityHustler - I give GSP credit on the Hendricks fight big time. He was clearly not on the gear for that fight and his gas tank showed it (clear to me at least, some claim he was dirty for that fight too). Big Rig muscled him around and roughed him up pretty good. It was 3-1 headed to the 5th on many of the score cards I saw and what did GSP do? He finally stopped with his patented Georges Safe Pierre approach, and he fought for his ass.

I never thought I would see thr French Canadian out of point fight mode, but he sure did. I still don't see how he got the decision, but in terms of the heart he showed, go ahead and have it Georges, I really can't complain about it if he actually fights out there.

I'd love to see him vs Romero. Make it for one of the left over interim belts at 185 so there's resume incentive. If he's healed up now and this colon thing is no longer an issue (he's running around calling for fights with light weights) call a guy out in the division you're a recent champion in, not 2 divisions below. Show some heart Georges, like in the Hendricks fight. I know he does have heart somewhere in there buried under all the safety first precautions.

I always like you and look forward to your commentary. But man you seem to have a serious dislike for GSP and most of what you say is to subtly disparage him. Maybe GSP didn't like being at 185 or maybe GSP decided that he wanted to go after a big money fight with Conor. It's hard to say right now but if anyone has earned the right to focus on their legacy it's GSP. It's not like Conor has ever stayed in one place and defended his belt either. Conor has bounced around twice himself. Conor basically ushered in a new era and GSP is playing the game also now.

Having said that, I'm not sure who you dislike more. Dana or GSP.

You're one of my favorites on here. Your answer, Dana and GSP isn't even in the running. Jones and Rousey are in the running for MMA fighter who I don't like, but GSP is no where close. I don't dislike GSP. I actually like the dude. I tell everyone he's the greatest WW of the past 25 years. I've shared on here he's the 2nd nicest mma fighter I've met at any time (Kongo).

I like taking on the arguments which make excuses for GSP and so of course that puts me in the aspect of discussing the negatives of him. The PED's for example, I'm not bothered by it. It's something that I came up in. It was rampant at the time and something the culture made part of the game. I'm on them right now.

Cormier is one of my favorites, I have no problem admitting he cheated on the scale with the towel. The thing is no one opposes me on that. Lets pretend 1/3 of the board went at me for that and we had 10 pages of back and forth. On lookers would think I despise DC. But that's not so at all. The thing with me is I call it down the line no matter who it is.

When it was viewed as cheating for someone to be on TRT and hardly anyone knew Mir or Randy were on it, I would openly discuss it and not try to keep it under wraps, despite Randy being one of my favorites.

I call these guys on their BS whether I like them or not. GSP has really made it to where he has a ton of BS lately and I've been calling him on it. It doesn't mean I dislike the dude. No I'm not star struck by him as much of the board is, but I don't dislike him either. In fact, I've called his bout vs Hendricks, a bout where most of us believe he was clean, one of my favorite GSP moments when he stop with the point fighting and actually fought Johnny.

Jon Jones, that guys a pile of steaming manure. He's a bad person. He's not deserving of fandom from me. Rousey at least has the excuse she's a psychotic lunatic, but not likable one bit. Perhaps she's not a terrible person, but she sure does seem to try to be one.

I would like GSP a lot more if he had respect for MMA. The GDR move she made, win a belt and drop it without ever bothering to defend is certainly annoying. Like GDR, if she doesn't care about the sport enough to honor her duties as a champion, I don't care about her. And GSP did the exact thing. He makes it hard to support him.

GSP told us he never calls out smaller guys and he had to say that in order to excuse refusing Anderson's challenges. Well now he wants the light weight champ despite him being the middle weight champ. It's tough to like the guy when he has become so obvious and transparent. I still like him and I would love to see him actually take on real opponents, not cherry picked bouts against a light weight. Or a lame duck middle weight coming off knee injury and an eye that's due to be amputated.

I'm still ok with the dude although you just can't believe anything he says "I am contractually obligated to defend". "I do not call out smaller guy". But I'm not about to do any favors to his fans when they start parroting his positions.

How do you see it?
9/18/18 3:37 PM
3/19/04
SinCityHustler - I give GSP credit on the Hendricks fight big time. He was clearly not on the gear for that fight and his gas tank showed it (clear to me at least, some claim he was dirty for that fight too). Big Rig muscled him around and roughed him up pretty good. It was 3-1 headed to the 5th on many of the score cards I saw and what did GSP do? He finally stopped with his patented Georges Safe Pierre approach, and he fought for his ass.

I never thought I would see thr French Canadian out of point fight mode, but he sure did. I still don't see how he got the decision, but in terms of the heart he showed, go ahead and have it Georges, I really can't complain about it if he actually fights out there.

I'd love to see him vs Romero. Make it for one of the left over interim belts at 185 so there's resume incentive. If he's healed up now and this colon thing is no longer an issue (he's running around calling for fights with light weights) call a guy out in the division you're a recent champion in, not 2 divisions below. Show some heart Georges, like in the Hendricks fight. I know he does have heart somewhere in there buried under all the safety first precautions.

Holy backhanded compliments, Batman!

9/18/18 3:54 PM
2/15/06

SCH: "How do you see it?"

To understand how I see GSP and what he has done you have to put on your Dana White dislike hat for a moment.   GSP did everything the UFC ever asked him to do for years.   Took every defense the UFC threw at him and he just kept winning.  Did that garner GSP the love and affection that some of Dana's pets got like Chuck?  Nope.  GSP got crapped on and constantly talked down in the press by Dana.  Remember that last press conference where Dana lied and set GSP went to the hospital and then tried to keep GSP out of the press conference?    This stuff built up with GSP to the point he just got fed up with it all.  So he retired.  Then he sat there in retirement and watched the UFC give Conor a quick run to the title and then allowed him to jump over and win another title without ever having to defend.  It was clearly favoritism for Conor who didn't deserve it like GSP did.   So I think GSP has just basically said to hell with it.  He is going to do things his way this time and worry about his legacy.  Sure he won the MW belt and then dropped it.   But he is focusing on his legacy now and the big money fights.  I think GSP would love to drop down and snatch away all of Conor's glory which wasn't earned the hard way like GSPs.   Conor hasn't defended one belt yet which is when it gets hard.  Sitting there being focused on by the whole division with one after another coming for your crown.  That's when real champions are proven.

SCH: I would like GSP a lot more if he had respect for MMA. The GDR move she made, win a belt and drop it without ever bothering to defend is certainly annoying. Like GDR, if she doesn't care about the sport enough to honor her duties as a champion, I don't care about her. And GSP did the exact thing. He makes it hard to support him.

This comment jumped out at me.  You are pointing out what GDR did and then what GSP did.   Get a belt and then drop it.  (As a side note, that's kind of what Montano did by coming in to fat.  So she did it also in a way.)

My question is;  Why don't you ever mention Conor in this discussion?  He has won two belts now and abandoned both.  Yet you are silent on him?

9/18/18 5:01 PM
9/21/11
CRE -

Hanging out at the beach of beautiful sunny Monaco with my crazy and very unique Sensei Christophe ?? OSU!!!

If Quasimodo had an 8 pack, I imagine it'd look like this. 

9/18/18 5:07 PM
1/23/06
9/18/18 6:03 PM
1/1/01
StrikingMMA - 

SCH: "How do you see it?"

To understand how I see GSP and what he has done you have to put on your Dana White dislike hat for a moment.   GSP did everything the UFC ever asked him to do for years.   Took every defense the UFC threw at him and he just kept winning.  Did that garner GSP the love and affection that some of Dana's pets got like Chuck?  Nope.  GSP got crapped on and constantly talked down in the press by Dana.  Remember that last press conference where Dana lied and set GSP went to the hospital and then tried to keep GSP out of the press conference?    This stuff built up with GSP to the point he just got fed up with it all.  So he retired.  Then he sat there in retirement and watched the UFC give Conor a quick run to the title and then allowed him to jump over and win another title without ever having to defend.  It was clearly favoritism for Conor who didn't deserve it like GSP did.   So I think GSP has just basically said to hell with it.  He is going to do things his way this time and worry about his legacy.  Sure he won the MW belt and then dropped it.   But he is focusing on his legacy now and the big money fights.  I think GSP would love to drop down and snatch away all of Conor's glory which wasn't earned the hard way like GSPs.   Conor hasn't defended one belt yet which is when it gets hard.  Sitting there being focused on by the whole division with one after another coming for your crown.  That's when real champions are proven.

SCH: I would like GSP a lot more if he had respect for MMA. The GDR move she made, win a belt and drop it without ever bothering to defend is certainly annoying. Like GDR, if she doesn't care about the sport enough to honor her duties as a champion, I don't care about her. And GSP did the exact thing. He makes it hard to support him.

This comment jumped out at me.  You are pointing out what GDR did and then what GSP did.   Get a belt and then drop it.  (As a side note, that's kind of what Montano did by coming in to fat.  So she did it also in a way.)

My question is;  Why don't you ever mention Conor in this discussion?  He has won two belts now and abandoned both.  Yet you are silent on him?

I actually do mention that in Conor discussions but I'm not in those often at all. I enjoy GSP discussions so you'll see my posts on GSP much more frequently.

To me Conor McGregor is no longer a UFC fighter. Sure he's booked for a title shot (why on earth would that guy be getting a title shot after refusing to ever defend and having to be stripped for exactly that reason?) but does anyone actually believe that fight is happening? I don't. I see a huge bait and switch coming. ZERO meaningful promotion. This thing is like an after thought. On whether he fights or not, I digress. I'll leave it to others to debate that.

Conor is one of the worst champions UFC has had, right there with Montano. I was in that thread where the worst champs were ranked and I had McGregor right there near the top. Iirc, I had it

GDR and GSP as the absolute worse. Not even bothering to hold the belt, instead dropping it and refusing to even entertain a defense. GDR vs Cyborg and GSP vs any of the killers at 185.

Of course you have the cheaters who were stripped like Jones, Barnett, etc.

And then there's the guys who had zero intent on defending, but also were not so timid as to simply drop the belt and run away to another weight class. This is where Montano and McGregor find themselves in terms of that list. I don't know what else I can say about Conor to show I treat him equally how I treat GSP. He's coming off a KO loss in boxing, he's coming off being stripped of a belt for refusal to defend. He's being gifted another title shot. I'd complain about it if I actually believed he's fighting.

I hardly know anything about Montano. I just do not follow the girls. My understanding is she won the toughest tournament in the world to become world champion. Good for her. And now she will not defend. You're right, she's right there with McGregor. Perhaps she gets an immediate title shot too.

As for GSP focusing on legacy, he's asking to be remembered as a cherry picker, opportunist who refused to work to title shots or to defend against anyone who he felt might beat him. He's solidifying that right now. I have no issue with that, we all make our beds. this is what he's choosing. His legacy will be what it is.
9/18/18 8:17 PM
2/15/06
I think GSP wants big money fights also. Staying up at 185 he is going to lose to bigger guys eventually. He was never even a big WW and that's why he can make LW. So he made a smart move and came back down. You can't get big money fights coming off of a loss. With his two title legacy he would be the perfect match up for Conor if he beats Khabib. A two weight division champion against another two weight division champion. That's big money right there.

"We both know what the name of this game and it sure ain't pugilism!" -Joe Gould, Cinderella Man

As for GSP's legacy, nobody will ever see him as a ducker. They will remember him as the greatest WW in UFC history who also moved up and grabbed the MW title also. If he retired right now then that's pretty amazing. Just imagine if he can cap it off by beating Conor or Khabib and winning a 3rd title. That would be the greatest thing any UFC champion has ever pulled off. Even you would have a hard time calling him a ducker. :)
9/18/18 10:46 PM
7/19/13

“Aliens” probably picked him up and did genetic testing on him. Stuck needles in his butt and chiseled him like a sculpture with otherworldly advanced skin tools. 

9/19/18 2:19 PM
1/1/01
StrikingMMA - I think GSP wants big money fights also. Staying up at 185 he is going to lose to bigger guys eventually. He was never even a big WW and that's why he can make LW. So he made a smart move and came back down. You can't get big money fights coming off of a loss. With his two title legacy he would be the perfect match up for Conor if he beats Khabib. A two weight division champion against another two weight division champion. That's big money right there.

"We both know what the name of this game and it sure ain't pugilism!" -Joe Gould, Cinderella Man

As for GSP's legacy, nobody will ever see him as a ducker. They will remember him as the greatest WW in UFC history who also moved up and grabbed the MW title also. If he retired right now then that's pretty amazing. Just imagine if he can cap it off by beating Conor or Khabib and winning a 3rd title. That would be the greatest thing any UFC champion has ever pulled off. Even you would have a hard time calling him a ducker. :)

It's not that I want him to lose to bigger guys eventually, (although GSP doesn't seem to have ANT issue fighting smaller guys (Penn 2x Serra 2x Sherk, now he wants the lightweight champ) it's that he went out and snatched a belt from a lame duck champ and cut the line in order to be the one to do it. He assures the fan base he will defend (why on earth would anyone feel compelled to do that?) and then he wins and immediately drops the belt. If you'r the champion of the world and you're not GDR, you don't do that. Certainly not if legacy is a concern.

Whittaker moved up to MW and yes he will lose one day to the bigger guys. Gastelum moved up too, he too will lose to bigger guys. Shoot GSP has lost to a dude half his size. Everyone loses. When you make yourself to be bigger than the sport and show no respect for the world championship, it has an effect on the legacy. It's already happening. Used to be hardly anyone would say a negative thing about him. Now the boards are full of topics calling him out on everything from cherry picking, to PED's, to ducking, to calling out smaller guys, etc.

Dropping to 155 to challenge the smallest guys he can fight is not going to raise his stock in my book. Fight Woodley. Fight Whittaker. I will be 10 times more impressed. Defend the belt and solidify himself as a 2 division champ. Yes I will be impressed. No question. I already call him the greatest welter past 25 years. It's not like I'm unwilling to give him his due.
9/19/18 4:21 PM
7/19/13

^^ He has a point! GSP pulled off a cowardly move going for the belt at 185lb against a softy in Bisping, and then immediately ducking the hard challenges that were coming up next. That was a on paper credit to his resume that when inspected more thoroughly should not be respected. Oh I was the 185lb champion... no no you weren’t Georges. You were allowed to jump the line and fight the softest belt holder that has ever had the belt in that division. He only had the belt because he was ducking tough challenges too..

9/19/18 4:41 PM
1/1/01
King Trav -

Never popped. Not once. Even asked for better testing. 

One million times this.

Also, since it's CRE, GSP > Askren.

9/19/18 4:43 PM
1/23/06
If This Were Aposiopetic - 
King Trav -

Never popped. Not once. Even asked for better testing. 

One million times this.

Also, since it's CRE, GSP > Askren.

There's only one to way to find out.