UnderGround Forums GSP to DFW: Make me an offer I can't refuse

29 days ago
1/1/01

Georges St-Pierre is the welterweight GOAT. Khabib Nurmagomedov is the lightweight GOAT. Both fighters had eagerly discussed the possibility of superfighting each other, but it largely went off the rails when "The Eagle" unexpectedly announced his retirement after defeating Justin Gaethje at UFC 254.

GSP was doing French-language commentary at the event, and was as caught off guard as the rest of the public, as he explained during a recent appearance on Michael Bisping's Believe You Me podcast. 

“I was in the same boat as everybody,” said St-Pierre. “I thought maybe he would have called me out to maybe pressure the UFC to organize the fight.”

“It doesn’t mean I would have accepted. Everybody says, ‘Oh, when is it going to happen?’ I never said I wanted to do it. It depends [on] the conditions too. I could think about it seriously if the conditions are right in terms of the weight class and all that, but there’s no way I’m gonna go down to 155 now. I’m 39 years old and this is out of the window...

“We’re both about the same size. I’m not gonna lie. I wake up in the morning and I’m about 183 pounds. I’m sure he’s about the same weight as me if not probably bigger. So I think the weight class — it’s like a novelty fight, a superfight — you need to stipulate the rule maybe no weight class or maybe, you cannot be more than three percent different in terms of weight. I don’t know but there’s ways to do it. You don’t have to cut weight and damage yourself to do something like that.”

“If in a hypothetical world this fight would happen, I think I would need to use all my tools. I’m good at what I do and it’s not because I’m fighting Khabib that I’m gonna change my way of fighting. The way I fight, that’s how I’ve been successful all of my career. I think the mistake that a lot of guys are doing when they fight Khabib is that they change the way they’re fighting because Khabib is very known to be probably the best wrestler in the sport. I’m good with the takedown, to mix it up. It’s not because I’m fighting Khabib that I’m not gonna mix it up with him. If I have a chance to put him down, I’m gonna try to put him down. I believe in my chance to put him down and I’m confident in myself. I think confidence is a very important piece of the puzzle in MMA to be successful and I believe a lot of guys when they fight a legend fighter status, part of that confidence and their skill goes out the window. That’s one of the mistakes I would not do because I know Khabib would not do it against myself.”

Khabib has retired to assume his duties as head of household, following the death of his revered father Abdulmanap due to COVID-19 and a heart condition. He and his father had long planned to retire at 30-0, but, although Khabib remains in the USADA testing pool, keeping his options open, there is little indication that it will happen. So the UFC may have lost a superfight between GOATs of their respective division, who do in fact walk around at a similar weight.

UFC president Dana White is likely not impressed that GSP returned to take the middleweight belt from Bisping, and promptly said "kthxbye." But there yet remains a chance the superfight will happen, albeit a slim one. GSP, 39, has not closed the door, but he wants to get paid.

“If the UFC would want me back, it’s not me that would try to go and beg for a fight - ‘Hey please, can I come back?’ They’re gonna lowball the s*** out of me," he said. "It would be the most stupid thing I could do. If they have an offer to make to me, an offer I cannot refuse, Dana knows where to reach me.”

h/t Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting

29 days ago
4/21/06

GSP to DFW " I hated Fighting " 

29 days ago
1/1/01

Georges ape technique puts people down.

29 days ago
6/18/16

Fucking love gsp, smart motherfucker.

29 days ago
5/8/13

Kinda feel like George wants the fight... I think it happens. No reason for the ufc to not pay gsp whatever it takes. They’ll make it all back easily. It’s a huge fight 

29 days ago
3/16/07

Realistically, GSP vs Khabib is the fight to make.

29 days ago
3/13/18

Khabib left the building two days ago.

Bye Bye

29 days ago
2/17/03

Just make the fight. What the hell is wrong with Dana? They both want it. Make it.

29 days ago
3/15/10
wiggum -

Just make the fight. What the hell is wrong with Dana? They both want it. Make it.

Too bitter but I agree.

Do it already.

29 days ago
7/10/02

For both, if they would do it, it would most likely be their last bout. So who cares about belts, rankings, weight what comes next? It doesn't matter. It's one time superfight thing. Just make it happen!

29 days ago
6/29/05

3-fight deal

1. Khabib superfight

2. Up to WW to challenge Usman

3. Back down to LW to fight whoever the champ is

Winning all 3 fights would surely cement GSP as the GOAT... 

29 days ago
2/17/03
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

For both, if they would do it, it would most likely be their last bout. So who cares about belts, rankings, weight what comes next? It doesn't matter. It's one time superfight thing. Just make it happen!

Yup.

It'll be both their last fights. Do it at a catch weight. It's the only way you're getting either guy back. They have literally nothing to lose!

29 days ago
1/1/01

Khabib will come back if Allah tells him to,  or he gets a lot of money.

29 days ago
6/9/16
wiggum -

But Dana said Khabib doesn't want to fight GSP.

And we all believe what Dana tells us, right???

29 days ago
1/1/01
WillyMaunawili -

3-fight deal

1. Khabib superfight

It would make him GOATier

29 days ago
4/11/10
WillyMaunawili -

3-fight deal

1. Khabib superfight

Already cemented, bruh

29 days ago
2/17/03
Taco Muncher - 
wiggum -

lol.

it's so frustrating. khabib said he wanted gsp. gsp said he wanted khabib. dana says they don't want to fight.

it's SO hard to determine who is telling the truth! i mean, when has dana ever lied to fans?

29 days ago
4/12/05

way to old

29 days ago
2/10/20
the fighting never stops -

way to old

an old man wants his last paycheck, nothing to see here.. 

29 days ago
2/11/20
wiggum -
Taco Muncher - 
wiggum -

lol.

it's so frustrating. khabib said he wanted gsp. gsp said he wanted khabib. dana says they don't want to fight.

it's SO hard to determine who is telling the truth! i mean, when has dana ever lied to fans?

Dana has never lied to fans. Love him or hate him he's never done that before..

29 days ago
11/18/14

sign the contract big boy!

29 days ago
1/26/08
WillyMaunawili -

3-fight deal

1. Khabib superfight

Did you not read GSPs statement, he wont cut to 155
Khabib will go to WW
Both are about 183 he said so he said he doesnt want to cut the weight
GSP is almost 40, don't blame him on not wanting to cut weight
Khabib would be a big favorite over GSP at this point but I'd pay to see it and cheer on the guy who isn't managed by a terrorist

29 days ago
2/17/03
AwaysTheDiscontinuedOne - 
wiggum -
Taco Muncher - 
wiggum -

lol.

Dana has never lied to fans. Love him or hate him he's never done that before..

lol

29 days ago
1/1/01

Dana can’t afford to pay GSP and Khabib for one night. Or have Khabib lose.

They’ll never fight. 

Edited: 29 days ago
4/21/06